Coolant overflow reservoir question

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2023, 08:56 AM

Coolant overflow reservoir question

"patched" reservoir

old emission charcoal filter location

temp probe on intake

I tried to patch my old coolant reservoir but it's not holding. Buying a replacement OEM reservoir is quite expensive so I'm looking for an aftermarket solution. I was just wondering if the reservoir must be mounted on top of the wheel well so the excess coolant can flow back in radiator or if I can mount in where the old emissions charcoal canister was. I noticed the cap has a vent in it, where as many new reservoirs are sealed. I'd like to do something like
but I rather it just work good instead of look cool.

I have a 195 thermostat but my aftermarket temp gauge tends to read a little higher, is this normal? It seems to get pretty hot at idle, sometimes up to 220-230, should I be concerned? I have a newer 6 blade fan but am considering putting electric fans on as well. Not sure if it would be overkill though.

Sorry if these are noob questions, I'm not a professional mechanic.
Old March 20th, 2023, 09:21 AM

How did you confirm that the car idles up to 220-230*? That is quite hot!
Old March 20th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
How did you confirm that the car idles up to 220-230*? That is quite hot!
I知 actually out here now playing with it. I was going by the aftermarket thermostat I put in. After letting her cool down, I topped off the 2 liters it lost from the overflow, just drove her around for a mile or two and she痴 staying steady at 190 and idles around 210. Seems like any prolonged idle causes it to creep rather high.

The engine is still brand new (less than 100 miles) and I haven稚 driven it in over a year. Just finally revisiting this project and hopefully get it read worthy soon
Old March 20th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by rebel88
I was just wondering if the reservoir must be mounted on top of the wheel well so the excess coolant can flow back in radiator or if I can mount in where the old emissions charcoal canister was.
If you mount the reservoir lower, there will need to be more vacuum in the cooling system to draw fluid back. The problem is that the lower you mount it, the more likely the upper radiator hose will start to collapse when the engine cools.

You can try it, just watch out for this potential problem.
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

This reservoir was used on most of the 1980s RWD cars. Good used ones should be readily available. I've got at least one I can part with.
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This reservoir was used on most of the 1980s RWD cars. Good used ones should be readily available. I've got at least one I can part with.
great I値l have to expand my search because I was specifically looking for my year make and model. I saw a similar reservoir from a caprice. If I can稚 find one I値l let ya know and see if we can work out a deal.

I知 still getting funny temperature readings. I知 thinking maybe because it痴 where I mounted the probe on the intake but at the same time I知 thinking it may be accurate due to it reading 190 when moving. It crept to 240 while idling and when I turned it off just a little overflowed into the reservoir.

I知 starting to wonder if my belts may be contributing to this issue. I deleted the AC and have been trying to fix the dreaded squeal for a while now. I bought every style available for this car and none of the fan/power steering ones are tight enough. I had to put a belt meant for the alternator so I could get the right tension but when I cut the wheel hard and throttle into the turn it kills the engine and squeals again on start up.

It痴 starting to squeal when I give it throttle now. I bought a passenger alternator bracket so I知 going to try to relocate it over there eventually and see if the counter tension fixes my issue.

i have some electric fans that I may add but I知 sure this car was meant to idle without them so the issue I知 having still concerns me.
Old March 20th, 2023, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rebel88
I知 starting to wonder if my belts may be contributing to this issue. I deleted the AC and have been trying to fix the dreaded squeal for a while now.
Is it that time again?

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old March 20th, 2023, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, I couldn't get the third nut that looks like its on a stud loose and the front bolt that sits in that slot must have been replaced because mine is a 17mm, I think someone cross threaded a bigger bolt in there because it'll get tight but not super tight. I was using a big prybar between the reservoir and the block but it's great to know that I can put a screwdriver between the p/s pump shaft and that tab. I could get that front bolt to travel the full length of the slot so although that one nut on the back is stuck on the stud I could get it to travel all the way to the end. Maybe my pulley is just bad? The belt sits very low in it. I tried the belt for "p/s fan with A/C, five blade fan, p/s without A/C 7 blade fan and neither sit tight enough. I wrapped a string around and measured it, I was getting about 43inches with the pump loosened and the belts said they are 44in-45in so I'm really not sure what the problem is.

It was good and tight with the gates 7425 XL belt I just put on which is about 43". But after running and putting a load on the p/s it starts the squeal again. I'm honestly ready to get the serpentine kit for this and call it a day. I do have a spare p/s pump that came off a rocket 350 block from a 70s cutlass so I may try that first. I'm sure only being able to loose and tightened one of the three bolts isn't helping much.