cutting coils on 54 88

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2014, 09:22 PM

cutting coils on 54 88

Thinking about cutting a loop off the front coil springs, anyone done this? What kind of results? Thoughts?

Alex
Old August 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM

I've never done this on any classic so whatever I say is purely speculation but I can't help but think it would degrade the ride to some extent but probably not make it unsafe. Here is a link from a member that lowered his 55 and it came out great but he bagged it so he could get up his driveway something you should keep in mind if you have speed bumps or sharp sided gutters you need to negotiate...Tedd https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-our-55-a.html
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I've never done this on any classic so whatever I say is purely speculation but I can't help but think it would degrade the ride to some extent but probably not make it unsafe. Here is a link from a member that lowered his 55 and it came out great but he bagged it so he could get up his driveway something you should keep in mind if you have speed bumps or sharp sided gutters you need to negotiate...Tedd https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-our-55-a.html
Wow rocketdownunder did an amazing job on that car! The idea of air bags crossed my mind but don't think I'm going that route just yet. My idea for this car is classic 50's hotrod how it would have been done back in the day. Low buck with lots of fabrication work, don't want to spend to much $$ on this one.

I'm still undecided about the springs... Might try to use a coil spring compressor to see how it looks with a few inches of drop... Thanks for the input Tedd.
Old September 7th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Brought the car into the shop today and did the lowering job. Took a loop off the coils and blocked the axle. I think it turned out well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140906_225127.jpg (34.0 KB, 80 views)
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Past Administrator

Nice
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Just curious how does it ride compared to before the lowering job? And in the turns and on rough roads any ill effects? Would you advise others to attempt this?...Tedd
Old September 8th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Just curious how does it ride compared to before the lowering job? And in the turns and on rough roads any ill effects? Would you advise others to attempt this?...Tedd
I didn't notice much of a difference in the ride, although I've got my front suspension set up on the firm side. No rubbing on turns, went over some speed bumps without problems. Cutting a coil off will get about 3 inches of drop, IMO that's the most to do with a static drop. In the rear 3 inch spacers would be best, I used some 2 inch square tubing because I had it laying around, gives it a bit of a rake wich is cool but I might redo it with a 3 inch spacer.

I would 100% recommend this, pretty straight forward. Took me about 3 hours to do. A cut off wheel and torch are required and a hoist helps but not necessary. The only cost was the u bolts at $60 so it's very affordable. Gives the car a longer sleeker appearance, I think it's a must for a car like this.

Alex
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Alex

Thanks for making my TO DO list longer..

Car looks great. I agree with dropping the back a little further.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Takid455
Alex

Thanks for making my TO DO list longer..

Car looks great. I agree with dropping the back a little further.
I did the 3 inch spacer the next weekend and it's the perfect amount of drop.
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:32 AM

What tire size do you have?

Getting parts in place for the drop.

Did you replace the shocks with shorter units?
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Takid455
What tire size do you have?

Getting parts in place for the drop.

Did you replace the shocks with shorter units?
I've got B.F.Goodrich Silvertown Radials on mine, size 235/75R15. There smooth and quiet, I like em.

I didn't bother with changing the shocks, they were fairly new. Drove for 2 months after lowering with no problems or leaks from the shocks. I will be getting the car out of storage towards the end of the month, curious if they leaked at all while being parked.

Get her lowered! By far the best bang for the buck!!
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:01 PM

Pictures please!
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by SummerNights
Wow rocketdownunder did an amazing job on that car! The idea of air bags crossed my mind but don't think I'm going that route just yet. My idea for this car is classic 50's hotrod how it would have been done back in the day. Low buck with lots of fabrication work, don't want to spend to much $$ on this one.

I'm still undecided about the springs... Might try to use a coil spring compressor to see how it looks with a few inches of drop... Thanks for the input Tedd.
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:06 PM

what we did was lower the rear not the front, however both are a mistake because the front end goes out of alignment and rides like a mack truck . why not leave it the way it was engineered in the first place. Through the years ive learned to respect the engineers.