Do rear doors from a 1958 88 fit the Fiesta wagon?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2021, 05:58 AM

Do rear doors from a 1958 88 fit the Fiesta wagon?

Anyone know if the doors from a standard 4 door 88 are the same as the doors for the wagon in 58? Maybe someone has a Hollander that goes back that far?
Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lemans1
Anyone know if the doors from a standard 4 door 88 are the same as the doors for the wagon in 58?...
If they're both hardtops, the doors will interchange. There was no reason for them not to
Old January 19th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
If they're both hardtops, the doors will interchange. There was no reason for them not to
And yet, the parts book shows them as different part numbers. FYI, the 1957 rear doors are the same for sedan and wagon. The 1958 are not.

Old January 19th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Those are only numbers . I wonder, as to what the difference was and if it was only minor, if at all. It was pointed out recently here, that these catalogs are sometimes fallible

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; January 19th, 2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old January 19th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Those are only numbers . I wonder, as to what the difference was and if it was only minor, if at all. It was pointed out recently here, that these catalogs are sometimes fallible
Right, because Olds didn't want to make too much money, so they unnecessarily warehoused two identical parts with different numbers...

Can they be made to work? I have no idea. I'm presenting the facts that I have. The OP can make his own informed decision. At least there's more data than "there was no reason for them not to".
Old January 19th, 2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And yet, the parts book shows them as different part numbers. FYI, the 1957 rear doors are the same for sedan and wagon. The 1958 are not.

Thank all of you guys so much for the info. Not the answer I was hoping to hear but knowledge is power. At least now I know what my options are, or aren't.
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:47 PM

if you have access to one,you could put them side by side . maybe same skin, different inner? by the hinge?
Old January 19th, 2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
if you have access to one,you could put them side by side . maybe same skin, different inner? by the hinge?
If I find a hardtop door I might just roll the dice and see. I have a feeling I'm more likely to find that than a wagon door.
Old January 19th, 2021, 08:06 PM

I have a Hollander (35th edition) that covers 1959-1969, sorry
I know they are all sedans for '59
for the '59 model year they show the fronts interchange with the 4dr sedan * with a footnotes
fronts * "fits" less outer belt extension
rears are different

two cents - find a 34th or earlier Hollander listing
Old January 20th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Right, because Olds didn't want to make too much money, so they unnecessarily warehoused two identical parts with different numbers...
The end result might be the case. Whether Olds wanted to make money or not was ultimately decided by the white collared stuffed shirts using GM's executive toilets. Compared to the eventual bean-counting later on, each GM division enjoyed hands-off creativity of which was doomed to end shortly, beginning with the economic downturn of which coincidently bagan in 1958. On the wagon forum, a 1958 Buick has been restored. The amount of man hours and exclusive to Buick parts needed to build this model would be unthinkable to apply to modern production
...Can they be made to work? I have no idea. I'm presenting the facts that I have. The OP can make his own informed decision. At least there's more data than "there was no reason for them not to".
As long as this forum has been up, it's almost unimaginable, that this challenge hasn't previously been presented. In other words, this can't be the first time here that someone has attempted to replace a wagon door with that of a hardtop.
Understandably, the word "door" is technically too short for the forum's search engine to work with. Otherwise, it would be easy to write off not noticing previous threads on this very same subject to the typical laziness of looking up a particular subject on the forum's search engine
Old January 20th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

As long as this forum has been up, it's almost unimaginable, that this challenge hasn't previously been presented. In other words, this can't be the first time here that someone has attempted to replace a wagon door with that of a hardtop.
Feel free to use the SEARCH function.

Once again, this is YEAR and MODEL dependent. As I pointed out above, the parts book confirms that the 1957 rear doors interchange between sedan and wagon. The 1958 do not.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the rear doors do not interchange between sedan and wagon on the 61-63 Y-body cars. I also know with certainty that they do not interchange between sedan and wagon on the 64-65 or 66-67 F85 cars.
Old January 20th, 2021, 02:33 PM

Understandably, the word "door" is technically too short for the forum's search engine to work with. Otherwise, it would be easy to write off not noticing previous threads on this very same subject to the typical laziness of looking up a particular subject on the forum's search engine[/QUOTE]

I absolutely searched and came up empty. But if you can find something, please educate me and show me how it's done. As stated by others this is a year specific thing, so it would not shock me to see that it hasn't been discussed here for this specific car. I asked because I couldn't find the answer, not because I'm lazy.
Old January 20th, 2021, 02:47 PM

I didn't imply that you yourself were lazy. As I stated, it's impossible to search for "door", because the word is too short to search for.
Being that wagons are even more scarce, it can't be possible that you're the first '58 hardtop wagon owner who has been confronted with this very same problem. Perhaps, once we get our answer, it might be an idea to tag this or a previous thread of this type a "sticky"
Old January 20th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

As noted here frequently, Google is a far more effective way to search the forum. Type "classicoldsmobile.com" rear door interchange (WITH the quotes around "classicoldsmobile.com") into Google. And yes, I did that. No one has asked this question before. I also tried station wagon door interchange, and nothing there either.

I guess it's not "almost unimaginable" that this hasn't been asked before.
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:27 AM

The best solution would be for the thread's author to drive to the nearest forum member's 4-door hardtop owner and simply borrow his door. If it truly doesen't fit, the reasons why and the changes required to make it fit (if possible) could then get documented here, for future reference
Old January 21st, 2021, 04:41 AM

My Hollander covering this year shows the front doors are the same, but the rear doors are different.
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by okie88
My Hollander covering this year shows the front doors are the same, but the rear doors are different.
I realize that I may be comparing apples to oranges here, but on my ‘70 Cutlass wagon only the front doors from four door cars will interchange. Rear doors must be sourced from another wagon. However, based on the scarceness of ‘58 Fiestas and my fabrication ability, I would not rule out the possibility of building a door with what was available. This would be the last practical resort though. You’d better believe if I could source a straight/clean door for a reasonable cost, this would be the best option.
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:22 AM

The best solution would be for the thread's author to drive to the nearest forum member's 4-door hardtop owner and simply borrow his door. If it truly doesen't fit, the reasons why and the changes required to make it fit (if possible) could then get documented here, for future reference
I would be thrilled to do so. If anyone is on these boards within say 3 hours from Washington DC, please let me know. Id love to be able to compare side by side and see what the differences are. Id like to know if there is a length difference. If at least the lower door is the same I could even take a sedan door and graft in what I need.
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:34 AM

For reference sake, can the original poster attach photos of the damage to your existing door? Just as a reference for assessment. Corrosion? Cracking? Mangled?
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
For reference sake, can the original poster attach photos of the damage to your existing door? Just as a reference for assessment. Corrosion? Cracking? Mangled?
I will take some today. Basically there is poor filler work on the doors that is cracking and not contoured well. Not sure how well it will show in pics, but I will post up. Looks like the bottom few inches are constructed of filler.
Old January 21st, 2021, 01:10 PM

I would be thrilled to do so. If anyone is on these boards within say 3 hours from Washington DC, please let me know...
If we have had a member's list, it would then be possible to hook up, without much effort.
An idea would be to post your issue on the H.A.M.B. forum
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:52 PM

Well after a lot of searching, I actually have a 2dr, 4dr, and the wagon at my house. All hardtops. The rear doors are different. They look to have been modified for use on the wagon. I think I can also modify them to work so I think I can use them, but some work is required. I am so shocked to see that the door "spears" are the same between the 2dr and 4 dr. As well as the rear quarter fins.
Old May 4th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Oldsdruid

They look to have been modified for use on the wagon.
Olds outsourced 1957-64 station wagon body production to Ionia Body Manufacturing Division of Mitchell-Bentley Corporation. No doubt Ionia had to do some coachwork to make some things fit right.

The Ionia story is fascinating.
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:48 PM

Well, I have an 'Auto Interchange Systems' interchange manual, 1950-65. Wagon sedan R door #346, wagon HT R door #347. Sedan 88 & S88 R door #343, HT R door #342. I don't have a Hollander in that era.
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM

To chase down anything 58 is a challenge, then throw in the wagon part and things get really difficult. I'm not surprised there wasn't a match as the request is as rare as the part needed.....Tedd
Old May 4th, 2021, 08:29 PM
Banned

Well after a lot of searching, I actually have a 2dr, 4dr, and the wagon at my house. All hardtops. The rear doors are different. They look to have been modified for use on the wagon. I think I can also modify them to work so I think I can use them, but some work is required. I am so shocked to see that the door "spears" are the same between the 2dr and 4 dr. As well as the rear quarter fins.
So just to possibly help others. What was modified? Can you clue us in on the differences?
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
So just to possibly help others. What was modified? Can you clue us in on the differences?
Yes, I will take some pictures for you today highlighting all of the differences.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
The only difference I can find without actually fitting the door is the top rear corner. Looks like they simply trimmed it to fit the different molding.

Old May 6th, 2021, 09:01 AM

Here they are closed.