Fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM

Fuel filter

Still new to this car so pardon these dumd questions

Was thinking I should change the fuel filter so can someone tell me where it is and recommend modern replacement part number?

Car is 67 425 delta

Thanks!
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Oldsdruid

Trace the steel fuel line from fuel pump to carb (you'll have to remove the CCC aircleaner to do that). Where it connects to carb you will see a flare nut and a housing with flats for a wrench on it. Remove the fuel line (use two wrenches to avoid slipping/stripping things), then unscrew the filter housing from the carb. If your Delta has the original carb it uses the "short" GM filter, and I think the originals were sintered bronze.

If the car is currently running OK, what I would do is leave the carb filter alone and install a 3/8" inline filter in the fuel pump's rubber suction line. That way you don't have to worry about stripping out threads in the potmetal carb and creating a leak, as they're prone to do after 40+ years. It would also be a good opportunity to replace the rubber fuel line, and you can get the correct spring-ear clamps if you want to go that route (I hate the look of a screw clamp).
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Remove the fuel line (use two wrenches to avoid slipping/stripping things)
Special line-wrenches that is, most important on the smaller fitting...
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:09 AM

I have a '67 Delta with the 425. It doesn't have the CCC air cleaner.

The fuel filter is right at the end of the line coming from the fuel pump where it enters the carburetor.

Here's a photo of the top of my engine with the air cleaner removed, and I've circled in yellow where the fuel filter is located.

The fuel filter itself is a $2.99 item available in a blister pack hanging near the oil filter/PCV valve/etc. area at Autozone or any other auto parts store.

It's about 1.5 inches long and looks like this:

The most important thing to do is not lose the little spring that holds the filter tight to the end of the input line. It will be behind (on the carburetor side) of the filter, so watch for it when you pull the old filter out. Sometimes it stays in there, and other times it pops out and falls on the ground under the car and manages to get in the most difficult to reach location as possible.

Changing the filter is really, at most, a 5-minute job. I just did it about a week ago on my car.
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The most important thing to do is not lose the little spring that holds the filter tight to the end of the input line.
The second important thing is to note the orientation of the filter as you remove it (which side the hole is on).
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:27 AM

The hole side of the filter (the side with the black rubber ring) goes toward the incoming line. Fuel flows out of the line, into the end of the filter, and then out through the sides (through the filter material itself) and into the carb. In other words, as you're standing in front of the engine, the black rubber end of the filter goes towards you.
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Thanks guys.
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Land Yacht Captain

A GOLD 425??????? My eyes My eyes!!!!! Just kidding!!

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I have a '67 Delta with the 425. Here's a photo of the top of my engine with the air cleaner removed, and I've circled in yellow where the fuel filter is located.

The fuel filter itself is a $2.99 item available in a blister pack hanging near the oil filter/PCV valve/etc. area at Autozone or any other auto parts store.

It's about 1.5 inches long and looks like this:

The most important thing to do is not lose the little spring that holds the filter tight to the end of the input line. It will be behind (on the carburetor side) of the filter, so watch for it when you pull the old filter out. Sometimes it stays in there, and other times it pops out and falls on the ground under the car and manages to get in the most difficult to reach location as possible.

Changing the filter is really, at most, a 5-minute job. I just did it about a week ago on my car.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
A GOLD 425???????
Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. I asked the previous owner about this when I bought it. He (an 80-year-old man) said he liked gold and wanted to paint it that way.

He didn't do a very good job as he didn't remove much, so there is (or was) gold paint on the vacuum hoses and things like that as well.

I'll probably repaint it someday, but, for now, it runs fine, and it is what it is.