Good repair manual for 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2018, 02:27 PM

Well, it would appear that you have a blockage causing the hose to collapse. A bad PCV valve is what I would suspect. Rattling when you shake it is supposed to indicate that it is ok, but you never know. New ones are only three dollars at Autozone, and if you haven't replaced yours recently and don't know the history of it, it's probably worth changing it.
Old June 18th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Well, it would appear that you have a blockage causing the hose to collapse. A bad PCV valve is what I would suspect. Rattling when you shake it is supposed to indicate that it is ok, but you never know. New ones are only three dollars at Autozone, and if you haven't replaced yours recently and don't know the history of it, it's probably worth changing it.
I went ahead and replaced both the PCV valve and hose. New hose is much stronger and better for PCV use, the other one was very flimsy.

Just drove around town and she's running much better now. No more smoking or nasty whirring noise. I let the oil burn off the exhaust manifold and that's over now. Everything else is in good order.

Thanks as usual jaunty
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Excellent!

Say, does your car's air-conditioning work? My car's doesn't, and I'm finding it not trivial to get it back to working order. No new parts are available except for the compressor, so I'm having to have parts rebuilt or custom made (I'm having the original compressor rebuilt). Probably going to cost about $2000 total when all is said and done. That's a bit of an ouch, but A/C is a necessity in this part of the country, and what's a luxury barge like a '78 Toronado without A/C, right?!
Old June 18th, 2018, 09:29 PM

My Oldsmobile's A/C does indeed work. I didn't even test it until about a month ago on a hot afternoon - blew nice and cold right away. I was honestly amazed, I didn't think it would work. Previous owner did mention that the compressor needs a recharge though. No heat though since someone bypassed the heater core at some point. I hope you find some help on that A/C problem cause I don't know much about it myself.
Old January 18th, 2021, 09:31 AM

i found a manual Olds

Originally Posted by Temeku
Hello,

I recently bought a one-owner 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 four-door sedan. It runs and drives, needs a few things (mostly cosmetic) but I plan on doing a tune-up soon along with a few other things in preparation for California SMOG testing (bought it in Arizona and shipped it over here).

California is stupid strict on their catalytic converters, so I'm going to have to find a state-legal one for this car. Among other things, the fuel gauge doesn't read properly (says full when turned on, goes down to 2/3 when off), shift indicator on dashboard is stuck in Park (though the tranny and shift lever work perfectly fine), drive belts are worn, also I need to replace the ignition lock cylinder (I'm able to start the car without the key!).

While I can find parts of rockauto.com, I'm having a tough time finding a good thorough repair manual for this car. Most ones are generic manuals that cover multiple models over a decade or longer (like 1970-1990 Oldsmobiles/Pontiacs/Buicks/etc) - I'd like to do better and more specific than that if possible (e.g. I was able to find a large repair manual for my 1984 Honda Accord that is for that model year only - can't get anymore specific than that!).

What repair manual do you folks recommend?
i found this pag on internet, i hope this help you.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...sis/index.html

https://web.facebook.com/Club-Oldsmo...08879384280395
Old May 11th, 2021, 10:17 PM

I can understand this, So I want to share a good service manual https://onlypdfmanuals.com/workshop site. It's very popular and You can check this.
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:11 AM

That's an interesting site. I have been looking high and low for a wiring diagram for my '57 Toronado!

Old May 12th, 2021, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Both of these users are spambots. One post each, joined the day they posted.