HELP A ROOKIE OUT 85 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Mr.Owen

HELP A ROOKIE OUT 85 Delta 88

I’m new to the car world and I recently picked up a 85 delta 88. I was wanting to replace the seats to a more modern look and was wanting some advice on that. I’d also like to upgrade the carb and was hoping for some advice for that as well!!!
Old January 4th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Replacing the seats to a modern look is as simple as going to an automotive upholstery shop and have something stitched up.
How would you like to upgrade the carb ? A different color ?
What engine do you have ?
Old January 5th, 2022, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. If your car has the split bench seat (the two sides can be moved fore/aft independently) then the tracks under those seats are the same as for buckets. Any non-original seats will require fabrication of adapter brackets. How good are your welding skills?

Even in Canada, the 1985 cars came with the Computer Command Control (CCC) system. This system controls both the carburetor and the distributor advance. You cannot simply replace the carb, you either work with what you have or you completely remove the computer system. The latter path requires a new, non-computerized carb and a new non-computerized distributor. Removing the computer will also cause collateral damage on some other systems, like the control of the air conditioner compressor clutch. Do not assume you can randomly change parts on this car without a much more detailed understanding of what that means to the rest of the system. More to the point, simply changing the carb is NOT going to magically increase HP. Your engine was optimized for mileage and emissions. A new carb isn't going to change that, nor will it change the cam and restrictive heads. Your best bet is to first ensure the system is properly tuned and everything works. Few people knew how to adjust the CCC system correctly when these cars were new. Today nearly no one does, because they lack the patience and/or skill to do it. The factory Chassis Service Manual provides both a detailed description of the CCC system and an even more detailed adjustment procedure.
Old January 5th, 2022, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's some additional info on the CCC system.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...oduces-CCC.pdf
Old January 5th, 2022, 07:01 AM
Bfg

After you replace the seats for a more modern look, you will still be faced with a car that doesn’t have modern look unless you sculpture the car to look like a jelly bean.
Old January 5th, 2022, 08:06 AM

What Joe says about the split bench seat mounting being the same for buckets is true. But those buckets should be from a Cutlass of the same period and they will bolt right in with no fabrication required. I think that in 1977 or 78, there actually was a bucket seat option for these cars and both the buckets and the console were Cutlass items. Any G Body buckets will do nicely and are more supportive than the bench. I just wish I could someone reproduced the Maple Red upholstery for the 83-84 Hurst buckets so I could more economically redo the buckets in my 83 Delta.

I am still sticking with my contention that the quickest way to "wake up" the performance of these vehicles is to go to a 3.23 or 3.73 axle gear. Why does everyone automatically want to go into the engine? And also get that TV cable adjusted to delay the transmission upshifts.
Old January 5th, 2022, 10:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
What Joe says about the split bench seat mounting being the same for buckets is true. But those buckets should be from a Cutlass of the same period and they will bolt right in with no fabrication required. I think that in 1977 or 78, there actually was a bucket seat option for these cars and both the buckets and the console were Cutlass items. Any G Body buckets will do nicely and are more supportive than the bench. I just wish I could someone reproduced the Maple Red upholstery for the 83-84 Hurst buckets so I could more economically redo the buckets in my 83 Delta.
Correct. My point was not so much about bolting OEM buckets in place but just offering that bucket seats require different tracks than a one-piece bench. The OP already says he wants non-OEM seats.

I am still sticking with my contention that the quickest way to "wake up" the performance of these vehicles is to go to a 3.23 or 3.73 axle gear. Why does everyone automatically want to go into the engine? And also get that TV cable adjusted to delay the transmission upshifts.
Agreed, but for the average parts-changer, bolting on a new carb is MUCH easier than changing rear gears. Naturally the butt-dyno will record a MASSIVE increase in performance.
Old January 5th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Mr.Owen

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. If your car has the split bench seat (the two sides can be moved fore/aft independently) then the tracks under those seats are the same as for buckets. Any non-original seats will require fabrication of adapter brackets. How good are your welding skills?

Even in Canada, the 1985 cars came with the Computer Command Control (CCC) system. This system controls both the carburetor and the distributor advance. You cannot simply replace the carb, you either work with what you have or you completely remove the computer system. The latter path requires a new, non-computerized carb and a new non-computerized distributor. Removing the computer will also cause collateral damage on some other systems, like the control of the air conditioner compressor clutch. Do not assume you can randomly change parts on this car without a much more detailed understanding of what that means to the rest of the system. More to the point, simply changing the carb is NOT going to magically increase HP. Your engine was optimized for mileage and emissions. A new carb isn't going to change that, nor will it change the cam and restrictive heads. Your best bet is to first ensure the system is properly tuned and everything works. Few people knew how to adjust the CCC system correctly when these cars were new. Today nearly no one does, because they lack the patience and/or skill to do it. The factory Chassis Service Manual provides both a detailed description of the CCC system and an even more detailed adjustment procedure.
Thank you very much for this info, as my name states im very new to this. I have another question, I’ve heard people just putting in a 350 small block for an overal power upgrade. What do you suggest on that?
Old January 6th, 2022, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rookie85Royale
Thank you very much for this info, as my name states im very new to this. I have another question, I’ve heard people just putting in a 350 small block for an overal power upgrade. What do you suggest on that?
An Olds 350 bolts in, but again, if you plan to run without the computer, all the same collateral damage comments apply.
Old January 6th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Mr.Owen

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Replacing the seats to a modern look is as simple as going to an automotive upholstery shop and have something stitched up.
How would you like to upgrade the carb ? A different color ?
What engine do you have ?
Its a 307 in there now, but I was wanting to give it some more power and response. I’ve been told I can throw a 350 in there but I’m not sure if it has to be an olds 350 or if I can find a Chevy small block 350?
Old January 14th, 2022, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rookie85Royale
Its a 307 in there now, but I was wanting to give it some more power and response. I’ve been told I can throw a 350 in there but I’m not sure if it has to be an olds 350 or if I can find a Chevy small block 350?
Throwing a SBC in an Olds is kinda blasphemy, it can be done but it's a lot more complicated than putting an olds 350 in it.
Old November 28th, 2023, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
I just wish I could someone reproduced the Maple Red upholstery for the 83-84 Hurst buckets so I could more economically redo the buckets in my 83 Delta.

Try OPGI?