Jetstar88 Disc Brake Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Jetstar88 Disc Brake Conversion?

I was wondering if anyone knows if if the cutlass disc conversion kit will work on my 64 Jetstar88. Thanks for any help.
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM

I don't think it will. There is alot of information on our site about disc brake conversions, you should try to use our search function. Here is a website I know of that has been mentioned before:

http://www.discbrakemike.com/
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Here is another one http://www.scarebird.com/
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wiseguy58
I was wondering if anyone knows if if the cutlass disc conversion kit will work on my 64 Jetstar88. Thanks for any help.
No. This has been discussed a few times here. The bottom line is that the 1964 J88 spindles are unique to that car. They are the same as the 63-64 full size spindles except that they use the A-body 9.5" drums and wheel bolt pattern. The A-body spindles do NOT interchange, not do any other later model disk brake spindles.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ben

But... If they use the A-body drums & backing plates.... (thinking)

A-body drum spindles can be modified to work with factory disk brake caliper brackets by griding down the upper boss a little bit. A lot of guys are doing that and making their own "kits" instead of buying them. (this is what i'm doing)

Perhaps if the drum brake backing plate mounts are the same as an a-body- and it does in fact take the same drums as the a-body (taper & bore of the spindle bearing seats the same) then maybe you could convert it to use the a-body disks the same as you'd convert an a-body drum spindle over to disks- just doing the mod to these speficic spindles to make the caliper bracket fit.

If that would work- you coud either buy the a-body kit and throw away the spindles, or just source all the parts individually from a local parts store.

Find someone wiht a hollander interchange manual for that year and find out if the front backing plates interchange with an A-body. If they do- I'll bet you can do the swap after modding the spindle.

Last edited by RAMBOW; February 11th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
But... If they use the A-body drums & backing plates.... (thinking)
Yes, this is what I was planning for my 64 J88. Unfortunately, I don't think the backing plate bolts are in exactly the same place as on the A-body, so the A-body caliper brackets would probably need to be modified with welded-on extentions. The 64 J88 DOES use the same wheel bearings as the A-body, so I suspect the A-body rotors will fit on these spindles. I do not know if they clear the upright part of the spindle, however.