My 1962 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2021, 06:55 AM

My 1962 Wagon

Hi All! I'm excited about this 62 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta 3 seat wagon I just picked up. I'm beginning to think there just aren't many of these left..

Old October 26th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Oldsdruid

There aren't. 6417 62 D88 9 passenger wagons produced. Figure a 2% survival rate and you get roughly 125 left, and I'd guess half that.

Yours makes the fourth 62 wagon I'm aware of. There's one in Canton OH, one in Chicago area and one in MI.

Details!😎
Old October 26th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Banned

Nice. Gotta love a wagon. I agree on details. Fill us in.
Old October 26th, 2021, 08:27 AM

Wow, I didn't even realize that! I know I can't remember ever seeing one before. Years ago when I saw my first 62 Starfire I fell in love with this year of Oldsmobile. I've wanted a car with this front end for a long time!

So this car is real decent. No carpet and door panels are cut off at the bottoms and the seats need redone, but it appears to be solid and original. Like I said, it has the 3rd seat, and I don't know if the back window being electric is an option or not. It also has little steps built into the back bumper which I haven't seen on pictures I've seen online. I just got it home on Saturday and haven't driven it yet but on and off the trailer. I'm looking forward to digging into it some more.

Old October 26th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Oldsdruid

The bumper steps and electric tailgate window were optional. You could get any option available for 88/98/Starfire on the wagon with exception of rear defog. I'm pretty sure a rear window washer/wiper was available, know it was on the big Buick wagons.

The one in Chicago came from here in southern Virginia. Original owner was a wealthy woman and it had every option available. Black with red interior. It was on the road until early 90s when its LH taillight lens broke, it wouldn't pass Virginia safety inspection, and no one could find a lens for it (they shoulda called me!). The rich lady donated it to a local orphanage that used it as a farm vehicle till it ended up in a junkyard. Friend was in there and saw it, called me, I made a few phone calls and next thing I knew it was headed to Chicago in possession of the then-OCA president.
Old October 26th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The bumper steps and electric tailgate window were optional. You could get any option available for 88/98/Starfire on the wagon with exception of rear defog. I'm pretty sure a rear window washer/wiper was available, know it was on the big Buick wagons.

The one in Chicago came from here in southern Virginia. Original owner was a wealthy woman and it had every option available. Black with red interior. It was on the road until early 90s when its LH taillight lens broke, it wouldn't pass Virginia safety inspection, and no one could find a lens for it (they shoulda called me!). The rich lady donated it to a local orphanage that used it as a farm vehicle till it ended up in a junkyard. Friend was in there and saw it, called me, I made a few phone calls and next thing I knew it was headed to Chicago in possession of the then-OCA president.
Great info, thanks! Mine is in need of the tail light lenses on one side as well.
Old October 26th, 2021, 12:33 PM

Beautiful wagon!

If you need a new tail light lens use Alumilite to cast one from the driver's side lens.

https://www.alumilite.com/products/e...SAAEgKKcPD_BwE
Old October 26th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Beautiful wagon!

If you need a new tail light lens use Alumilite to cast one from the driver's side lens.

https://www.alumilite.com/products/e...SAAEgKKcPD_BwE

Thanks Olds64!
Old October 26th, 2021, 01:23 PM

I can add my 62 wagon to this list as well, 62 Super 88 with quite a few options. I saw a 62 dark red with dark red interior at the OCA Nationals a few years back. There is also a friend in California with several 62 wagons and Jim S. in AZ also has a very nice one.
Old October 26th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Steve, do you know where Travstruck might find a tail lens? I have misplaced Mike Cibulas' contact info.
Old October 26th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Wow that is sweet!!!
Old October 26th, 2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I can add my 62 wagon to this list as well, 62 Super 88 with quite a few options. I saw a 62 dark red with dark red interior at the OCA Nationals a few years back. There is also a friend in California with several 62 wagons and Jim S. in AZ also has a very nice one.
We're gonna need to see some pics Oldskeeper!
Old October 26th, 2021, 06:35 PM

I drove, "drove" the car today. Would it be sacrilege to replace a sbc 350 and th350 in place f the 394 and slim jim??
Old October 27th, 2021, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Travstruck
Would it be sacrilege to replace a sbc 350 and th350 in place f the 394 and slim jim??
Not at all. The only Oldsmobile I would consider keeping a Slim Jim in is a Starfire. That transmission is so temperamental

If your considering a Chevy motor I would suggest an LS swap with a 4l80e. You can find a powertrain to swap in any early 2000s Chevy truck. That's going to give you more power and better streetability than a SBC and TH 350.
Old October 27th, 2021, 05:42 AM

I drove, "drove" the car today. Would it be sacrilege to replace a sbc 350 and th350 in place f the 394 and slim jim??
The car survived 59 yrs of use, It escaped the demolition derbies and the junkyard and now it's time to degrade it with a friggin chevy engine???
Old October 27th, 2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
If your considering a Chevy motor I would suggest an LS swap with a 4l80e. You can find a powertrain to swap in any early 2000s Chevy truck. That's going to give you more power and better streetability than a SBC and TH 350.
That was my first thought but I have a complete 350 sitting in the garage waiting for something. If I can't get the rat and stench out of my 2000 GMC I might just consider that 5.3 as a transplant.
Old October 27th, 2021, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
The car survived 59 yrs of use, It escaped the demolition derbies and the junkyard and now it's time to degrade it with a friggin chevy engine???
Yeah, I felt uneasy even thinking about it at first, but it would sure simplify things and get the car back out there quicker. I haven't looked into rebuilding the 394 yet and only replacing the trans with something else. I can already tell that it's got vacuum leaks, and a random top end knock that comes and goes.
Old October 27th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Yes.
Old October 27th, 2021, 06:23 AM

It is your car, do with it what you want. I've considered an LS4 swap for my 98 98. Since you have a spare SBC on an engine stand you MAW use it, especially if it's already rebuilt.
Old October 27th, 2021, 06:57 AM

Yeah, I felt uneasy even thinking about it at first, but it would sure simplify things and get the car back out there quicker. I haven't looked into rebuilding the 394 yet and only replacing the trans with something else. I can already tell that it's got vacuum leaks, and a random top end knock that comes and goes.
It will not simplify things ... The way the motors mount are totally different, The transmission tunnel is to narrow for a modern trans.

As far as vacuum leaks that can be fixed . Why does it need a rebuild ????How is the compression??? As for the random top end noise maybe with a good oil change it might clear up??? From what you said in the other post I would not condemn this engine so fast with out thoroughly checking things out.
I would love to own that wagon it's so cool. and you don't see them very often.
Old October 27th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Oldsdruid

Yeah, I felt uneasy even thinking about it at first, but it would sure simplify things and get the car back out there quicker.
🙂

It would be an undertaking unless you have exceptional fabricating skills.

Olds engine has one mount at the front under the timing cover and two at the back on the transmission support crossmember.

Chevrolet is the exact opposite. Then there's all the auxiliary stuff like power steering, alternator, wiring, exhaust. The Olds frame is completely different from Chevrolet X-frame.

Not saying it can't be done, but it won't be as easy as the TV car shows make it out to be.

Top end knock will be either a lifter or rocker arm shaft, possibly a fuel pump.

What color is the 394 in the car? Red is high compression 10.25:1, light green is 9.0 low compression. Guessing there's a 2-barrel on it.

64guy, Charlie Jones and KQQLCAT have good threads on 394 builds and converting the SlimJim trans to a more modern transmission. Neither is a cheap job but 394s ruled early 60s Gasser drag classes, and the SlimJim is not the monster it's made out to be once you understand how it works and its critical adjustments.
Old October 27th, 2021, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
It will not simplify things ... The way the motors mount are totally different, The transmission tunnel is to narrow for a modern trans.

As far as vacuum leaks that can be fixed . Why does it need a rebuild ????How is the compression??? As for the random top end noise maybe with a good oil change it might clear up??? From what you said in the other post I would not condemn this engine so fast with out thoroughly checking things out.
I would love to own that wagon it's so cool. and you don't see them very often.
I have kept keep reminding myself that this isn't an Impala. I guess I'll start with a new intake gasket and go through the carb. It felt like it needed a new motor mount, or tranny mount, or both, when I drove it. The gear shift literally kept pushing to the left from the engine torqueing.
Old October 27th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Bfg

Shame on you for even thinking such a preposterous thought!
Old October 27th, 2021, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Shame on you for even thinking such a preposterous thought!
Old October 27th, 2021, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
What color is the 394 in the car? Red is high compression 10.25:1, light green is 9.0 low compression. Guessing there's a 2-barrel on it.
From all appearances it looks factory red. It could have been apart at one time and had valve covers painted, but I see traces of the color where it wouldn't have been painted with the krylon. What does the majority think? Clock says 60k and I thought at least 160k, but the brake pedal looks good. I dunno..

Old October 27th, 2021, 04:47 PM

From all appearances it looks factory red. It could have been apart at one time and had valve covers painted, but I see traces of the color where it wouldn't have been painted with the krylon. What does the majority think? Clock says 60k and I thought at least 160k, but the brake pedal looks good. I dunno..

Well is this considered red? And yeah it has a 2 bbl.
Old October 27th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Gary

I'm beginning to think there just aren't many of these left.
Rocketraider estimated 2% left. That seems reasonable.

Hagerty claims that once cars reach 20 years old the survivor rate is 0.5%. That seems low.

Your answer might be somewhere in that range.

Wagons would be among the ones that went to scrap at greater rates than the average car--they were just viewed as a disposable utility car and didn't have much of a following that sought to preserve them.