My First Classic Olds

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Talking My First Classic Olds

I just brought home my first Classic Oldsmobile. I am the proud owner of a 1956 Oldsmobile 88 4-Door Sedan. it is a two tone Dark Green on Mint green. It's a very elegent looking car, and I must admit, one of the most beautiful cars I have seen.

It is in very good shape. I can almost simply buff it out and call it a day, but I'm not going to do that. I am going to patch the holes, and get rid of the surface rust and make it look even better. It runs drives and stops, so that also is a head start. This is going to be my driver.

I have decided to keep the original colors when I repaint it, but I'm going to go with the Tri-Color option that was available. It will be Kelly Green on Mint green with either a white or cream top.

I do need some things for it. I have plenty of resources for my classic Buicks, but not for my Oldsmobile.

I would like to convert the engine over to 4bbl, and install a few options. I would like the Automic eye, power Antenna, Power Windows, and if feasable, A/C.

I need some trim parts (not stainless on the sides, those are complete and in good shape). What I'm talking about are headlight bezels, backup light bezels,and lenses. Tail light lenses, parts of both the front and back bumpers,
and the Passenger side Front Turn signal/parking light.

It does not have the stainless trim parts around the door windows, and I would like to get those as well.

I also need the drivers side rear wing window glass, passenger side front door window glass, and I think there is a crack in the rear door window glass too, so I'll be needing that.

I think that's all for now...but at any rate, I'm glad I found this site, and I'm sure I'll find a lot of great advise, and assisance here as I do on the Buicks forum that I belong to.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM

Sweet! I bought a 56' hard top project about a month ago as well. There are parts out there, ya' just gotta dig!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up New ownew

Welcom to this site I own a 54 88 & parts are available VIA member of this site ,Were all in it togather Larry Henry (vintageozarks.com)
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys!

I have found and am bidding on a few items on ebay including those great looking spinner hub caps.

I Still don't see any bumpers anywhere, and mine are rough, and I believe they are even to far gone for re-chroming.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

You can find bumpers from time to time. I have a place that does them, I just need to find the papers they gave me with prices, etc.
Did you post on another fourm? I was just reading on another site, the Antique Automobile discussion fourms. If not, a guy just bought a car similar to yours!
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Retrorocket88
You can find bumpers from time to time. I have a place that does them, I just need to find the papers they gave me with prices, etc.
Did you post on another fourm? I was just reading on another site, the Antique Automobile discussion fourms. If not, a guy just bought a car similar to yours!
Yes. I am Jim W on one of the sites, and am the moderator of Idle Chat on the Buicks.net forum

I'm also jimbocols on ebay. I have several things I'm bidding on at the moment. I found a couple of great headlight bezels, one in very good condition, and one nos.

I've also found a set of four fiesta spinner hubcaps, and am bidding on those as well.

With the exception of the bumpers, that should be all I really need. The rest of the stuff on the car is good enough to just be rechromed.