New Guy with just acquired 57 Olds

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM

Smile New Guy with just acquired 57 Olds

Yea, got me a jam up 57 4 dr Super 88. Love this thing. They really built cars back then. Heck, the dual exhust actually runs thru and around the frame.
A little tech question here. The fuel line routes up at an angle and goes into the carb thru what looks like a 3 way nut attachment. I do have a leak there and believe somthing just needs to be tightened but am not sure what to loosen or tighten first. Afterall I just cant run down to Discount Auto Parts if I break or strip one of the nuts. There is obviously a flared fuel line with a tightening nut and then there is some odd looking nut that apparently screws onto the carb. Probably a fuel line screen there somewhere. And it doesn't spell it out in the 57 shop manual. Appreciate any help. -J'ville
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to the site and congratulations on getting your car! Yes, you are right that the fuel lines are usually a flare type fitting and the friction of the flared end of the line itself against carburetor or junction block seals and prevents fluid leaks. First off, it would be good if you sprayed all the fittings with a little break free solution, PB Blaster or something like that, or even some WD40. Give it about fifteen minutes or so to soak in a little before working on it. I would also recommend that you get some wrenches made for that purpose, they look similar to open end wrenches but the open end closes about ten to fifteen degrees farther on each side. This prevents the wrench from slipping on directly over the nut from the side so you have to insert the wrench over the line and come down on top of the nut similar to the way you would with a socket. This provides more clamping force and prevents the wrench from slipping and rounding out the nut. They are also used on brakes lines so a couple are good to have, say 3/8 - 7/16 combo, 1/2 - 9/16 combo. You might need a large one for the nut on the carburetor. As you said that is a strange looking setup that Rochester used, on many of their carbs it looks sort of like a barrel about 3/4 inch long and in fact houses an integral filter which was usually some kind of porous metal compound like bronze. At any rate, you need to be sure to support both the nut and whatever you are trying to loosen or tighten it to. I would recommend you loosen and remove everything first to be sure there is no damage, and in case of the fuel inlet you can replace the filter. Then, after that you can re-assemble everything and tighten it up so it doensn't leak. I hope I didn't miss anything or get it wrong. It's one of those things I have done many, many times but never thought about it so hope it was explained correctly. Ohters may post later today and make any corrections to things missed. Anyway, good luck.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Thanks Oldsguy for the helpful info. I will procure the wrenchs before I take on the fuel inlet project.
Would you recommend just putting in an in-line filter and discarding the inlet filter? I can remember those inlet filters being a pain on some GM cars.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Mission successful. It was three pieces which had to be loosened one at a time from the fuel line forward. The hard part was lining up the fuel line to thread onto the receptical. No leaks now. Again thanks.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Past Administrator

Glad you found the problem. I remembered what they are called, Line Wrenches.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM

trying to sell my 1958 super delta 88, but don't know how to price it. no dents 1 small ding, still run need a little bit of carburator work, excellent condition on the engine and transmission
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Past Administrator

Robin, glad to hear from you but dude, you are hijacking this thread. Start a new thread to sell your car.