New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2024, 08:06 AM
Art S

New Wheels

Finally finished the wheel change and thought I'd share a couple of pics. I had the 15" Torq Thrust rims with 235/75r15 thin whitewalls but they were scraping inside the wheel wells and would be worse when I had passengers riding along. Bought a half way decent set of Deluxe wheel covers from ebay and got a set of 225/75R14 2 3/4" wide white​​walls from Kontio Tyres and a set of factory rims. Had some front end work done - upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings and remanufactured hydraulic shocks and replaced the hydraulic shocks in the rear last fall. Riding so much better now and the Kontios ride really smooth and the whitewalls are staying nice and white.
Sorry about the dull pictures, can't seem to get a nice weather day around here.

Factory 14" rims with Deluxe Wheel Covers and Kontio Tyres 225/75R14 - 2 3/4" whitewalls

Factory 14" rims with Deluxe Wheel Covers and Kontio Tyres 225/75R14 - 2 3/4" whitewalls

Last edited by Supernice88; May 2nd, 2024 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 2nd, 2024, 08:44 AM

Lookin' good!

The big ladies look better in whitewalls! 😁
Old May 2nd, 2024, 09:00 AM
Art S

My neighbor who's in his early 50's hates them, lol. You should see his wife, so I know he doesn't have any good taste.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am glad to see somebody get the correct whitewalls. Most people get narrow whitewalls which were not standard until 1962. There may be some exceptions but I don't know of them. Most of the guys with the Lincoln Continental convertibles (61-66) all use wide whitewalls. I don't understand that. I understand the gangsta wide whitewalls but I am talking restored cars. Your car looks great.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:35 AM

Beautiful car!

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Sorry about the dull pictures, can't seem to get a nice weather day around here.
Not at all dull! I find that taking photos on a cloudy day is often much better than in bright sunshine. The light is diffuse, so you don't have deep shadows with one side of the car in brightness and the other side in shadow. There have been times when I have wanted some photos on a sunny day, and I end up taking taking several on the bright side of the car with the car facing one way and then turning it around 180 degrees and repeating the process. With diffuse light, this isn't necessary.

The lighting is fine in your photos.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 02:31 PM
Art S

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am glad to see somebody get the correct whitewalls. Most people get narrow whitewalls which were not standard until 1962. There may be some exceptions but I don't know of them. Most of the guys with the Lincoln Continental convertibles (61-66) all use wide whitewalls. I don't understand that. I understand the gangsta wide whitewalls but I am talking restored cars. Your car looks great.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I found a couple of photos on the web of these cars coming to the end of the assembly line and an old promotional video and they showed them with the wide whitewalls. The cars with the narrow ones are probably because of how expensive the wide ones are. These were a hundred dollars cheaper than the Coker's and still pretty expensive as far as tires go. At first I thought I went too wide but after putting the caps on they seem ok.
I plan on selling the Torq Thrust rims that were on it, which are in really nice shape.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 02:49 PM
Art S

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Beautiful car!

Not at all dull! I find that taking photos on a cloudy day is often much better than in bright sunshine. The light is diffuse, so you don't have deep shadows with one side of the car in brightness and the other side in shadow. There have been times when I have wanted some photos on a sunny day, and I end up taking taking several on the bright side of the car with the car facing one way and then turning it around 180 degrees and repeating the process. With diffuse light, this isn't necessary.

The lighting is fine in your photos.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
I like the lighting at sunset too, it really makes the cars look great.
It doesn't show the violet painted ring inside the covers that I was hoping to show off.