Old man's car!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
2Blue 55

Old man's car!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Okay, I don't know if i'm posting this in the right question, But the the new people today that think they is all cool driving in there buzzing honda thing, and when oldsmobile comes up in topic everyone thinks slow big grandpa's sedan? It really bothers me how they think they are all cool in ther buzzing lawn-mower type sounding car... Where did this thought come from? oldsmobile never catered to sedans or anything, so why the misconception other than the name minus the smobile.

We just got the trans am running in the summer and within 5 minutes on the road a tiny little japaneese car wanted to race, I had half the mind to stomp on it and show him what was under the hood. The new car people on the road really bother me lately.

Rant over
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I get tired of rice burners and fart pipes too, but to each his own.
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Oldsdruid

slow big grandpa's sedan
Blame the Feds and GM Corporate for causing that. Anyone who has ever driven a REAL Oldsmobile knows better. Even big grandpa sedan Oldsmobiles used to be able to give about anything a run for its money.

Power to weight ratio is the only thing ricerockets have going for them. Put an American car of comparable PTW against one, and see what the Honda can do then. The invariable whining will be "But you gotta V8 man!" Yes, and you knew that going in didn't you.
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM

they think they are so cool... and who wouldnt be driving a giant vaccum cleaner right ? NOT. I hate all these ricer guys, and im 17, i guess i was just born in the wrong generation. just wait until i get my 69 cutty on the road, it will blow them away
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Shiiiiiit. Just get ANY Olds, and if you end up losing the race........ rear end them, total their car, and drive away without a scratch. Eventually they will all be snuffed out due to lack of rebuilding funds.
It's a dog eat dog world
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

I have seen the exclusive attitude in all forums and places. People who only like Fords, people who only like American Muscle which to them means the A bodies, people who think VWs are crappy, people who look down their noses on old hot rods if they are flat black, on and on and on.......It makes them feel more important, bigger, or better. We all succumb to that at times I guess. About the Oldsmobile image, part of it is Oldsmobile's fault, remember the "It's not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign in the seventies? If they would have ignored that it would have gone away (I think). That is just the way it is. For what it is worth, I don't care much for the little buzz bombs either though.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:57 AM
stock so far

i know what you mean about the ricers in the city thinking that an oldsmobile is slow... there is one advantage to driving an oldsmobile if you really wanna beat them in a race though..... most rice burners have an automatic shut off between 105 and 125mph and i have had my stock 87cutlass supreme 307 up to 135....

and oddly enough when they finally catch up after you wait on the shoulder of the interstate two miles up, they arent nearly as cocky

oh ya and my dad's 88 cutlass supreme had an overdrive and a mild 350 he got to 145 before the belt running the water pump snapped and we screwed the heads, we ended up coasting the last mile and a half to the drag strip and drove it the 25 miles home ticking, 2 hours later
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Oldsmobile. Where the action is!
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:36 AM
GM Enthusiast

I agree, but then again I am in my 30's so I guess I am too old to understand the ricer movement either. What I am starting to notice though is the kids who are around where I live all like the old cars I drive. I was driving my 63 Riviera the other day and a group of kids about 12 yrs old asked me what kind of car this is. When I told them, they did not know what it was, only that it looked cool. So maybe there is hope after all that people younger than us will have "good taste" in cars as well.

P.S. That's why I named myself "Old Skl" !!!

Later, I'm going to do some burnouts in my Olds!
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Would you BIG Olds guys be offended if I said that Ive noticed -some- of
the same attitude toward us guys with smaller compact 61-63 F85's?

Back in 1962 I almost bought a 1958 Super 88 convertible. Its chrome trim
probably weighed more than my whole 62 F85

Jus kiddin' guys.....
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
2Blue 55

"17, i guess i was just born in the wrong generation. just wait until i get my 69 cutty on the road, it will blow them away"

Join the club, I'm 16

anyway, I guess all the real car guys knows Detroit will always be king...
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I would love to have a decal in my back window saying I am driving My Fathers OLDS my 54 88 Who Knows I might have been conseeved in the back seat of this car.It would have been a new car then ,Whoops showing my age! ma bey I am A Old man ,If I can remember? I will ask my kids. OLDSKOOL classics Larry Henry vintageozarks.com
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by keith6989
........ cutty ........
The "Ghetto" name for G body Olds. Also "street slang" for the "Triangular Monster".

Not used by Oldsmobile enthusiasts.

Norm
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM

The "Ghetto" name for G body Olds. Also "street slang" for the "Triangular Monster".

Not used by Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
JEEZ! Get your English right professor.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cutty

I think it is okay if someone uses the term "Cutty" to refer to a Cutlass. They are just as much an Oldsmobile enthusiast as you or I.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Delta 88 owners do not have this issue to deal with.

There's no such word as "cutlii" either, but it is fun to say.

Meh. Doesn't bother me.

Toilet paper under the bottom instead of over the top, does however.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); January 16th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ Get your English right professor ........
I Used the same dictionary, that is used in the "Ghetto".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cutty

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ I think it is okay if someone uses the term ........
If you do some checking, you will find that you are a member of a, very small, minority.

Norm
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Old January 17th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Barneyo
Would you BIG Olds guys be offended if I said that Ive noticed -some- of
the same attitude toward us guys with smaller compact 61-63 F85's?

Back in 1962 I almost bought a 1958 Super 88 convertible. Its chrome trim
probably weighed more than my whole 62 F85

Jus kiddin' guys.....

I don't doubt that you do experience that. As I said, everyone is guilty to some extent sometime. By the way, I would KILL for a nice little f85 like yours, they are cool in my opinion, even if I may not FIT in one.
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Oldsguy, Im not sure if you or anyone else might be interested but this
1963 F-85 Jetfire was up on ebay last month, didnt sell: 170174711857

It looked to be pretty good shape overall. You might contact the seller
and see if he intends to put it up again or maybe a private sale.....

PS a complete batch of pictures is way down at the bottom of all the
text and info. Some good shots of the engine compartment and turbo
layout....

Last edited by Barneyo; January 18th, 2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add info
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:10 AM

........all the text and info ........
Two "Cut and paste" articles, one from a magazine, and one from 442.com.

The magazine writer seems to have done his homework.

Norm
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM

I get a ton of crap for the Rice burners. What starts a race here in Philly could be just passing somebody while going 5 MPH over the speed limit.

Both the Alero and the Delta eat Civics and other crap like that. I rarely go at it with these kids becuase they aren't worth the wasted gas.

One did pull up next to me in the Alero and revved his motor while we were both going 70 on the highway. He then "took off", so I put him in his place and opened it up. Bye Bye. I slowed down right away. They couldn't believe an Alero was that fast

Not too many mess with the Delta. A big car, with race numbers, and a deep sounding exhaust. Perception is everything to these little asswipes. 15.8 in the 1/4 mile isn't that much faster than a lot of "Honduhs" but the Alero's 14.5 is
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:12 AM
dar83501

the whole ricer bs originated from kiddies watching the fast & furious movies. Now I like all wheel drive turbo cars, but not the four banger FWD naturally aspirated folger's cans that people drive these days. There's a fairly decent sized rice crowd down here, from the ones that are "hardcore", to the ones that just have a rattle can and maybe a cold air intake. I will pass every last one of them with my "Father's Oldsmobile." Ironically...it used to be my father's oldsmobile :P

Old January 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM
dar83501

I have a pair of glasspacks for the Cutlass...I wonder if it will scare the ricers off, kinda like mosquito repellent...455 with headers to glasspacks to straight pipe is going to sound so brutal.

Old January 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
2Blue 55

Originally Posted by dar83501
the whole ricer bs originated from kiddies watching the fast & furious movies.
I hate that movie, my friend brought it over to watch on my 1966 B@W all tube tv and The cars still look like garbage to me in B@W, I watched about 5 minutes of it and shut the pos thing off, I just couldn't stand it anymore.... I simply don't get it.... A good fart in one of those would give you a concussion or blow the doors and windows out.... They ain't my shot a whiskey....
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM

If you want to see an awsome car movie check out one of the following.

Bullit
Gone in 60 Seconds (the first one is AWSOME)
Vanishing Point
Transporter (the second one sucks)
Ronin
The Italian Job (I actually like the second one better)
Two Lane Blacktop
Grindhouse Death Proof
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
2Blue 55

Hello
thanks for the Movies, I'll have to make a trip to the rental store or ebay, I found a clip on youtube of Bullit and i now must watch it
I hope I can find it on vhs, I also have a betamachine somewhere too, and with any luck, The tv will not blow a tube 1/2 way through, Or mabye I'll try and use the color one in the basement...

Thanks,
robert
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Wow Robert, I thought I was a nerd for having a record player, but you have a Beta machine. That is ultimately nerdy. LoL
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Hello
thanks for the Movies, I'll have to make a trip to the rental store or ebay, I found a clip on youtube of Bullit and i now must watch it
I hope I can find it on vhs, I also have a betamachine somewhere too, and with any luck, The tv will not blow a tube 1/2 way through, Or mabye I'll try and use the color one in the basement...

Thanks,
robert

WW and the Dixie dance kings is a good one too.

If you can get over the bogus references in the movie.

However, it does feature a cool '55 4-door.

Jeff +2
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
2Blue 55

Originally Posted by jeffrey
WW and the Dixie dance kings is a good one too.

If you can get over the bogus references in the movie.

However, it does feature a cool '55 4-door.

Jeff +2
If it had a 55 in it it is a must see
Thanks alot
Robert
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Rocketeer Jr.

Old January 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM

"17, i guess i was just born in the wrong generation. just wait until i get my 69 cutty on the road, it will blow them away"

Join the club, I'm 16

anyway, I guess all the real car guys knows Detroit will always be king...

Hey there, I'm 14 and bought my cutlass at 13.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM

"WW and The Dixie Dance Kings" had a 'special' 55; it waspainted black and gold.
I cried when it was burned near the end.

Another much older movie - no olds in it but... - "The California Kid"
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
2Blue 55

It burned?!?!?! Well that sort of ruins the movie for an olds or car enthusiast! I hate movies for this reason, like in christine, I almost put the remote through the tv when it was squashed.... not cool

How did it burn?
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Hey there, I'm 14 and bought my cutlass at 13.
Dude sorry I gotta call you on this one, Did you really buy it, honestly? What, are you slingin' dope when your 12!? Or did daddy buy it?

About the ricer pandemic, I'm 20yo, I love my cutlass and it doesn't even run, yet! The reason I love it: I had to walk to Highschool till half way through senior year, yeah, sucks to be me. Every day I would walk past a house, and parked on the curb in front of that house was a Shiny Black Beast of a car, with the numbers 4-4-2 right between its eyes. At first I didn't even know what kind of car it was but I new I wanted it. It took me three years and now I'm making my own.

There are plenty of 30-40 somethin guys trickin' out there Evo just like there are plenty of teenagers workin' on american muscle. People have different tastes. Nothin' wrong with bein proud of something you've put alot of work into and there's nothin' wrong with saying its better than someone elses. Just be ready to back it up and be ready to admit it if your wrong!
*THAT* is why I don't like ricers. I have heard a guy claim to have beaten a corvette in his stock honda. I have heard a guy say that a fin he bolted onto his toyota's trunk added horse power! Its not that you can't make an import go fast(because you can. Those things are lighter than pidgeon snot), it's that a BIG percentage of the ricer following THINK their car is fast AND ITS NOT! JUST because they chucked a baby rattle into their tail pipe and bolted a neon tube under the bumper does not make them go faster EVER! LoL, or at least thats my experiences.

PS I'm not saying there is anything wrong with daddy buying you a car, Hell I wish mine had bought me one. Growing up in Scottsdale not filthy rich like the rest of the city has given me a bit of a bias when kids say "I bought" instead of "My mom and dad bought" thats all.
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
dar83501

You know the curb weight of an MRII? 3600 pounds. you know the curb weight of my cutlass? 3900 pounds. A lot of those imports aren't as light as you think they are...and no honda is fast. period. ever.

Old January 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by dar83501
...and no honda is fast. period. ever.
Dude I'm with you... DEATH to hondas, BUT I'm gonna be devils advocate here:
See you gotta back it up!

Check this video, I don't think anyone would dispute whether this honda is fast (8 Sec - unbelievable!):
http://www.ecanfix.com/~cyi/movies/r...00/simon01.mov

The fact of the matter is its like one in a billion car and who gives a flip if ONE can do it compared to an enitre Generation of Cars that HAUL A$$, I think its plain to see that Olds are better. Not everyone comes to the same conclusion though, hence we have a ricer crowd.
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Well for all you young guys I just located your Daddy's 1969 Cutlass S convertible This car is in very good condition & will be up for sale soon. So hit up Daddy, & get him prepared It is going to sell for around $7000 . Any one want more info email me will have pics soon larry@vintageozarks.com

Last edited by ozoneblue; January 29th, 2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Cutlass S
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
dar83501

it probably doesn't have a single honda part under the hood. I'm not even watching the movie anyway because my hatred for hondas runs long and deep =[

if it IS Honda parts under the hood...I wonder how much they spent on it. my good friend is building an AWD Turbo Laser that will be a 9 second car and i bet he's spending nowhere near as much to do it.

Old January 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM

It burned?!?!?! Well that sort of ruins the movie for an olds or car enthusiast!
I hate movies for this reason, like in christine, I almost put the remote through
the tv when it was squashed.... not cool!

How did it burn?
As I recall (more than 30 years since I saw the movie) Burt Reynolds set it
on fire himself because he was hot for all the gas station robberies and the
cops were closing in on him - the black and gold 55 Olds identified him ;-)
In the movie it was supposed to be a a 50th anniversary Olds. Not sure why
since 1955 wasnt the real 50th, but I digress.

Take heart tho. Most times, in reality they dont really destroy -THE- 'star'
car. To wit, In the movie "Palm SPrings Weekend" at the end of the race
between Ty Hardin and Robert Conrad, it isnt really the red and white 57
Mercury that burned up - if you look closely it is a 55 or 56 Merc body
that is smoldering in the ditch!!!

So take heart that black and gold 55 is still probably in an LA studio
warehouse somewhere

Last edited by Barneyo; January 29th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo ;-)
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM

After thinking about the 50th anniversary, I went to do some research on the net about Olds anniversaries and up came this jewel. Why Google included this Im not sure but... Its been a long time since I laughed so hard...

There is a reference to a "new Gold Regency Olds 98" in the text.

http://theexplodingwhale.com/evidenc...rg-1995-11-12/

Enjoy...

Quick Reply: Old man's car!?!?!?!?!?!?!?