suspensions on 73 delta 88

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Smile suspensions on 73 delta 88

Hi folks, here I am again.
As I did not find an interesting thread about 73 88 suspensions, I open a new one myself.
As next jenuary I will start a body resto to remove rust and repaint my baby, but this is another story, Last saturday I went to my friend that will help me to do the job, and getting a look into the engine place, we found a worn bushing in the upper arm, and even in the other side the bushings are in time to be replaced, and by the way the car is in restoration, I want to work on the suspensions and the wheel bearings also. So, I need your help to find the right parts. At rockauto are avalable the ball joints upper and lower front suspension, the upper arm repair kit, but the shaft is good so I do not want to replace. I have not yet controlled the rear suspensions but by the way I am, Is better to replace all the rubber parts, and the rear wheels bearings also, If some of you have done this work already, and knows what to do, the correct bearings measure, and all the rubber parts needed: I saw that there are two bearings each front wheel, one inner and one outer, , is it so for the rear axle? do I need the bearing seals also? I will try to contact usapartsupply but if there is someone that may send me everything I need or at least suggest me what the best to do
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

If the rear end is not leaking or making any abnormal noises I'd leave it alone. On all the rest of the parts, I would use Moog brand. Rockauto had the best prices, but shipping may be an issue for you.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Agree with leaving the rear alone if there are no leaks and no noises, just change the oil. Perhaps buying rear axle (2) and pinion shaft (1) seals, a cover gasket and possibly axle bearings (one on each side, total of two for the car) would be good if you intend on keeping the car a very long time and driving it frequently. There are four additional bearings in the rear (total of six), suggest leaving them alone also.

For the front bearings, if they look excellent and are quiet just clean and pack them with a very high quality grease and replace the seals. The old bearings you have may be better quality than the ones you would purchase.
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Smile suspensions on '73 88

thank you guys, I gonna visit Moog web site to see what they have, as I only got look to the upper control arm, the only visible with the car on ground, I suppose the lower one rubber parts would be in the same conditions, the rubber bushings - silentblock present some cut and seem dry so they could break and get off. And yeah, I'd like to have the car still for a long time as I like it very much, and for the moment I don't use it when rains as I don't want to increase the rust, but once I removed it and re-paintedthe car I think I'll use it with more frequence. As I have to replace the carpet if I let the same body color, I'd like to install a green one and repaint the seats and the panels with the same color, now the interior is white. Some suggestions?