Well, I am the new owner of.....

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Registered Luser

Well, I am the new owner of.....

I was close to purchasing a '66 98 convertible, but was a huge resto to get into at this time. I always liked the '65 and '66 88 models, but when I found this locally, I couldn't resist....it is a '67, but with 59,000 orig. miles, full power including p/seat, windows, antenna, trunk and tilt/tele wheel but oddly, no a/c. Was a Cali car most of it's life 'till 6 yrs ago when it came here! Still has black plates, and virtually zero rust. Has had one repaint and interior is near mint and original....still has original floor mats and trunk mat with optional black rubber trunk mat also. Factory duals (at least this is what I was told), 425 2bbl with Climatic Combustion "star wars" air cleaner! Not sure what that really is, but it certainly looks neat! I will post more pics when I get the car home on Thurs. What do you all think? It grows on you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0678.JPG (266.6 KB, 92 views)
DSCN0679.JPG (253.5 KB, 86 views)
DSCN0680.JPG (309.6 KB, 73 views)
DSCN0681.JPG (264.7 KB, 79 views)
DSCN0682.JPG (275.9 KB, 71 views)
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats Erik! Looks like a great find, I'll have to stop by your house and see it when you get it home. Did you find it around here?
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very cool looking car Erik. Sounds really well equipped. Now I gotta ask this because I don't really understand (prolly just me). Why would a convertible need A/C?? Top down and cruise. But I see LOTS of verts with AC. Was that just because it was expected in a top line car?
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Allan R
Very cool looking car Erik. Sounds really well equipped. Now I gotta ask this because I don't really understand (prolly just me). Why would a convertible need A/C?? Top down and cruise. But I see LOTS of verts with AC. Was that just because it was expected in a top line car?
I know, you're right, but we (or is US) Americans are spoiled! Allan, when I get the data plate info, do you have the info to decode it?
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think I do. LMK and I'll see what I can scrounge. I wouldn't worry about being spoiled. When Dad used to buy cars, he would NEVER buy AC. The last car he bought before he passed was a 76 Malibu Classic Sedan (gorgeous car). It was the first and last car he ever had with it. Never used it - just rolled the window down. Me on the other hand - I'm like you. I buy everything with AC. I figure on driving in comfort.
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Congrats Erik! Looks like a great find, I'll have to stop by your house and see it when you get it home. Did you find it around here?
Darrell, I found it(actually my brother did) on craigslist....the car was in Lindenhurst! Maybe we can cruise out to Bellmore one friday night!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks Allan, I will let you know!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's a nice lookin' machine.

- Eric
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
What do you all think?
I think it's great!

Here's mine

Old June 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Great find Erik!
Climatic what?

Ted
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM

A car to have fun with for sure, and beats a project car for sure!
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by sammy
Climatic what?
Climatic Combustion Control.

It regulated the temperature of the intake air for tighter mixture control.

- Eric
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Congrats Erik! What' the odds of you finding such a clean car in the salt country of the North East

To add what Eric said these air cleaners are pretty cool looking! Does your car have the California Emissions too? any under hood pictures? John
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Congrats Erik! What' the odds of you finding such a clean car in the salt country of the North East

To add what Eric said these air cleaners are pretty cool looking! Does your car have the California Emissions too? any under hood pictures? John
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! I will have the car in my possession tomorrow "if the Lord is willin' and the creeks don't rise"! It's been raining for 30 straight hrs here, and I already have a flooded basement. The guy I am buying it from, won't let it leave the garage if it is wet out! I will post many pics this weekend if it isn't raining!
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
A car to have fun with for sure, and beats a project car for sure!
Yeah Joe....I still have to finish the Vista Project! At least I can drop the top and drive.....I really wanted to get a convertible for the family time it can bring cruising with my wife and two daughters.....at least that's what I sold to the wife!
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by sammy
Great find Erik!
Climatic what?

Ted
Thanks Ted! Eric answered your question....
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think it's great!

Here's mine

Jaunty, that car is beautiful! I'm not real fond of a white car, and will probably be changing the color in the future....that saffron is a possibility! What do you think a fair price would have been to pay for the one I'm getting?...very small rust at base of windshield, and a small spot where the outer wheel house and qtr meet near the trunk drop down. It can really only be seen on a lift. Interior is a 8 out of 10, 59,000 orig miles runs excellent....paint is a 7 out of 10....chrome is a 7 out of 10.

And when did you move to New Mexico? That is my favorite state! Well, besides NY!
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Registered Luser

Data Plate!

Allan, I picked up the car tonight, and will get more pics up this weekend. I wanted to post the data plate info in hopes that you could decode it for me....

06A
ST 67-35867 BK00608 BODY
TR 370 C1 PAINT

Thanks and hopefully you get this!
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Erik

Here's what I have:
06A Build month/week - 1st week of June 1967
ST 67 - 1967 Model Year
3 - Oldsmobile Division
58 - Series 5800 - Delta 88
67 - Style - Convertible
BK - Kansas City Assembly Plant
00608 - Body number (wow looks like you got one of the first 67's produced?)
TR370 - ?? You sure it's not 970? In 67 that code was for black interior/bucket seats on the Delta verts.
PNT C 1 Lower color C - Provincial White 1 - white convertible top
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered Luser

Allan, thanks a lot....I wasn't wearing my glasses, so it is possible I screwed that digit up. It does have a black interior, but has a power bench in there now! If it could have had buckets, I wonder if they were shared with the a-body? Also, could it have had a console, or would that show on the data plate? I'll double check and let you know.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Erik, I double checked the seat options. 67 SPECS show the seat as being the custom sport (assume that means fold down center armrest).

My bad, the 970 trim was listed in my lookup as 970v (not buckets - the v means all vinyl trim - does that match?)

re: console. The console for Cutlass / 442 is listed as D55. I checked all I could find on 67 Delta 88 and there's no D55 option. Also judging by the speedo and steering column/trans selector I think the only way you'd see a console in there is if someone did a serious resto mod and cloned it in.

Nice OEM floor mats too BTW

I think you have a gorgeous car there!
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Jaunty, that car is beautiful!
Thank you! If you want to see more photos of it, go here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10794...Nr_ppb2x-zrqgE

What do you think a fair price would have been to pay for the one I'm getting?...very small rust at base of windshield, and a small spot where the outer wheel house and qtr meet near the trunk drop down. It can really only be seen on a lift. Interior is a 8 out of 10, 59,000 orig miles runs excellent....paint is a 7 out of 10....chrome is a 7 out of 10.
I paid $4700 for mine three years ago, and mine isn't in as overall good a shape as yours.

Mine had 129,000 miles, interior is 9 out of 10 but the paint is only maybe 5 out of 10 and chrome similar to yours. It looks much better in the photo than it does in person as the paint is faded.

I would guess a fair price for yours would maybe be in the $6,000 to $8,000 range? The relatively low mileage on yours really adds to the value, I think.

And when did you move to New Mexico?
We've just relocated here this week as a matter of fact. I took advantage of early retirement incentives offered by my employer, retired effective last Friday, sold our house of 23 years in Ohio, and moved out here for the weather, to be closer to family, and because we've been out here a number of times over the years, mostly on business, and always liked it and thought it would be a good area to retire to.

I'm looking forward to driving my old Oldsmobiles on those average of 350 sunny days per year they get out here!

Last edited by jaunty75; June 14th, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Registered Luser

Erik, I double checked the seat options. 67 SPECS show the seat as being the custom sport (assume that means fold down center armrest).

My bad, the 970 trim was listed in my lookup as 970v (not buckets - the v means all vinyl trim - does that match?)

re: console. The console for Cutlass / 442 is listed as D55. I checked all I could find on 67 Delta 88 and there's no D55 option. Also judging by the speedo and steering column/trans selector I think the only way you'd see a console in there is if someone did a serious resto mod and cloned it in.

Nice OEM floor mats too BTW

I think you have a gorgeous car there!
Yes Allan, that makes sense! It matches up.....thanks for the decode!
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Registered Luser

Jaunty, that's awesome! Good luck and have a great time out there! I paid 5k for it, so I don't think I paid too much, but not a deal either. I wanted a '67 C/S, but in the condition this is in, I would have paid close to double for that!
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Allan, remember these cars used to be daily drivers. Two reasons for AC would be it often gets too hot to have the top down or it is hot and raining. Also when it is raining out the AC helps to clear the fog off the front windshield (in fact in my '87 the AC is designed to kick on when I turn the climate mode to "Defrost").
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by starfire
(in fact in my '87 the AC is designed to kick on when I turn the climate mode to "Defrost").
I think all the newer cars do that IIRC. Makes sense about dehumidifying the air in wet conditions. Beats the heck out of having to run the heater!

On the older cars, would the AC kick in on Defog/Defrost?
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Very nice '67. Those wire wheel covers make it look that much better.
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Nice find Erik, congratulations!
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM

I paid 5k for it, so I don't think I paid too much, but not a deal either.
$5000 is a great price for that car. You got a very good deal, in my opinion.
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
Very nice '67. Those wire wheel covers make it look that much better.
They look sharp, but they're not '67 wires. The correct '67 N-95 wire wheel covers don't have the spinner centers, just a serrated edge on the center cap. Those are '66 covers.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by copper128
They look sharp, but they're not '67 wires. The correct '67 N-95 wire wheel covers don't have the spinner centers, just a serrated edge on the center cap. Those are '66 covers.
Yes , they are '66 covers! The guy I bought it from mentioned that to me. Unfortunately, they squeak when driving....
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Yes , they are '66 covers! The guy I bought it from mentioned that to me. Unfortunately, they squeak when driving....

Are the centers a bolt on piece? I had issues with the centers of 63 Impala SS caps. The fix for those was to cut a gasket from an old inner tube. Took the cap apart and shimmed the center with the inner tube gasket to tighten things up. Just a thought.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Are the centers a bolt on piece? I had issues with the centers of 63 Impala SS caps. The fix for those was to cut a gasket from an old inner tube. Took the cap apart and shimmed the center with the inner tube gasket to tighten things up. Just a thought.
Thanks Highway! I'm not sure, I haven't looked at it yet, but will check it out for sure as it is annoying!
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM

I think all the spoke hubcaps squeak. Mine do and a mechanic told me it is because the wheel will flex a little especially with radial tires. Dont know if this is true and actually sounds scarey if ya think about it...
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Registered Luser

Arrow I need parts!

I posted a thread in the wanted section for items I need! Rt frt parking/signal assy, rear tailight sockets, maybe a wire harness or two!

Do any of you guys know if repro wire harnesses are made for this car? I'm running into several electrical issues with this car. A couple of bad sockets causing light issues.....pwr top comes up fine, but goes down about a foot at a time....I need to give it a 30 second rest every foot! Also, drivers power window stopped working in the down position, as well as the right rear window! Also looking for a power antenna assy!

Oh yeah, the brakes @#$% the bed last night! Looks like the master is bleeding profusely! When I popped the cap, the front resevoir was almost empty, and what was left was pretty rusty milky looking(front and rear).

The car did make it home last night, and when I went to open the garage, it died. I couldn't get it started, wouldn't crank. Lights dimmed out just before death. I jumped it and it fired....once in the garage, I shut it down, and it would fire back up. Charged the battery overnight, and it seems to by fine...we shall see. In the meantime, I have my work cut out for me!
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Brings back memories of my Dads first olds rag top. Great car...great lines.
Good luck and enjoy
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I think all the spoke hubcaps squeak. Mine do and a mechanic told me it is because the wheel will flex a little especially with radial tires. Dont know if this is true and actually sounds scarey if ya think about it...
Funny but actually true. At least at slow speed they tend to. I solved that by putting a little lithium grease around the contact point where the wire wheel cover makes contact with the wheel. Once a year clean up and redo and it worked great. That was my 83 Regency Brougham. The wire covers were also held by a center locking nut.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I posted a thread in the wanted section for items I need! Rt frt parking/signal assy, rear tailight sockets, maybe a wire harness or two!

Do any of you guys know if repro wire harnesses are made for this car? I'm running into several electrical issues with this car. A couple of bad sockets causing light issues.....pwr top comes up fine, but goes down about a foot at a time....I need to give it a 30 second rest every foot! Also, drivers power window stopped working in the down position, as well as the right rear window! Also looking for a power antenna assy!
Erik, sorry to hear about the bad run of luck. I remember talking with one of our members a couple years back who can make reproduction harnesses. His name is Eightupman (PM is https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...o=newpm&u=2453) I believe he was in the air force as an electrical engineer or something. Maybe you could give him a shout.

Were you looking at keeping the harness styles OEM or were you going with something like the generic EZwire stuff?
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Funny but actually true. At least at slow speed they tend to. I solved that by putting a little lithium grease around the contact point where the wire wheel cover makes contact with the wheel. Once a year clean up and redo and it worked great. That was my 83 Regency Brougham. The wire covers were also held by a center locking nut.

Allan, those caps would be like the ones on my wife's Buick. They don't fit tight around the rim because the center nut holds them on. I think the Buick ones have rubber around the edge so they don't rub and squeak.

The 63 SS caps I referred to were a 3 piece cap. The 3 bars and the center crown were a bolt on piece and the plastic center was the third piece. In the picture of the backside you can see a ring that holds the center piece in. Those center pieces would get loose so a gasket under the ring would tighten them up.

I wondered if the spinners on the Olds caps were a bolt on the just needed be tighten up somehow.
Attached Images
1963 SS hubcap.jpg (12.8 KB, 5 views)
63 SS hubcap backside.jpg (62.6 KB, 5 views)
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I wondered if the spinners on the Olds caps were a bolt on the just needed be tighten up somehow.
Well I can tell you 100% that the center emblem cap for 72 and 83 is bolted in place by 4 little bolts (1/4" socket I think) I took my 83 covers apart a couple times to clean and polish them. Not really hard to do.

I have a set of NOS 72 14: wire wheel covers. If you want a pic of the backside for a reference, I can get one for you. I'm not sure how the 66 covers are built, but I can't see them changing a lot over the years.

Quick Reply: Well, I am the new owner of.....