What is the trick on dropping the tank?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM

What is the trick on dropping the tank?

63 olds super - got the straps off and can't figure what is holding it up? is there a hook or something?
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:01 PM

50 years of gunk? The '63 factory service manual (available for free at wildaboutcars.com, which is free to join) states to simply drain the tank, disconnect the fuel lines, remove the straps, and drop the tank. There is no mention of any other clamps or anything else to be removed.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM

I'll get under there tomorrow but it sure seems to be hung up on something. It rocks back and forth so it's not gunk.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM

Wire from sending unit?
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Wire from sending unit?
I would think not. The sending unit and the wire attached to it are attached to the tank so they should come down with the tank. The tank cannot hang from the sending unit wire, and even if were, the wire is certainly not strong enough to prevent a heavy gas tank from falling.

In thinking more about this, I suspect there was some kind of insulation between the top of the tank and the underside of the car when first installed at the factory, and this insulation, over 50 years, may have deteriorated to the point that it is causing the tank to stick to the car. Time for a prybar?
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by pbob42
It rocks back and forth so it's not gunk.
How much does it rock? A quarter of an inch in each direction, or three inches? If the former, I like my idea of the tank being stuck to the car. If the latter, then probably not, and it's hung up on something.

Are you sure it's not the filler neck? When I removed the tank on my '67 Delta, where the filler neck goes rearward and you get at it by lowering the license plate when you want to put gas in the tank, the front end of the tank dropped when I removed the straps, but I then had to slide the tank forward to get the filler neck out and the rear end of the tank to drop.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Mine goes side to side and I need to slide it to get the filler neck out but it won't slide. My son was under there. 16 years old and not always the most observant. I will put a light on it this morning. I am thinking there is a hook up there to hold it while you are strapping it up.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I am leaning towards the filler neck myself
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:35 AM

there was a strap holding it up. Very thin and strong, might be a ground strap for the sending unit.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Be very careful with the rubber piece that goes around the filler neck behind the gas door, it will be seized to the neck and if you rip it you will have gas fumes entering the trunk and then into the car. I learned this the hard way and it took me a long time to fine another one. I sprayed the new one with mooveit and it started moving after a few minutes and would slip right off.
Steve
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by pbob42
there was a strap holding it up. Very thin and strong, might be a ground strap for the sending unit.
Ha! I think you're right. On later cars there was just a second wire coming from the sending unit and attached to the frame. It wouldn't have been enough to prevent the tank from dropping. I kind of wonder why a separate ground strap is needed as you would think the tank itself would be heavily grounded being in contact with and held up by steel straps that are themselves attached to the frame with steel bolts. But whatever. At least you got it down.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM

OK Oldskeeper - you're 12 hours late - ripped mine last night. No way to seal it up?
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM

sorry about that chief missed you by that much
The blatter as I call it is used on all full size olds and for both 63 and 64 if you can find one in a wrecker that isn't in a hot climate you might luck out.
I found one in an old parts car up here in Canada and haven't seen one since.
You could try an epoxy but I don't know if it would work.
Steve