whats the difference

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM

whats the difference

I was wondering what the differences in the 68's were. Mine is a delta 88 custom but only has power brakes, power steering and the 365hp "98" engine option. I have seen delmonts and delta 88's that had way more options and look more luxurious than mine. So I was just wondering what made the difference? I know the tail lights look different and maybe the rear "fast back" style roof.
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM

The Custom had more chrome and fancier and more glossy interiors. There was a difference in tail light treatment as well, at least for 1967, where the Custom had an additional set of rear lights mounted in the bumper while the plain Delta did not. The bumpers are not interchangeable between the two as a result.

I don't think there were any options that were standard on the Custom but optional on the plain Delta. In those days, you could equip any car pretty much any way you wanted. You could have a loaded Delmont 88 with every option in the book and a stripped Delta 88 Custom with nothing but doors and a steering wheel.

Don't read too much into the way your Custom is equipped. It's just the way whoever ordered it originally wanted it, or it's the way the dealer ordered it if he wanted it for his lot, figuring the car would be a bit cheaper and thus faster to sell. Your car does have power steering and power brakes, probably two of the most popular options at the time.

It probably wasn't that uncommon for people to order higher end cars with few options. It gave them a way to get into the higher-end model for less money.