What's the purpose of this?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2021, 12:00 AM

What's the purpose of this?

Hello,

When cleaning the floor of my '56 Super 88, I found several of those "lips". Some were covered under a thick layer of what seems like bitumen, some not. I have no clue of the purpose of those lips. I hope someone does.

Thanks,

Jérôme

Old February 5th, 2021, 07:25 AM

Hi Norm, thanks for answering!

With "lips" I meant the pieces of metal protruding at the lower part (inside) the ridges. In my picture just below the center. I could not think of another word to describe this, English is not my mother language. Sorry!

Yes the bitumen can be very hard to remove... I scraped and chipped most of it off and then used a rag soaked in petrol to soften the remains. This makes it easier to remove, otherwise you'll just spread it around.

Jérôme

Old February 5th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Opposing tabs like that are frequently used for attaching a soft thing like rubber. The rubber part has a slit with two pockets that match those tabs and you put it on one, then stretch it over the second, and let go, and it will elastically contract and hold itself. I'd think floor sound deadener attachments here.
Old February 5th, 2021, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Opposing tabs like that are frequently used for attaching a soft thing like rubber. The rubber part has a slit with two pockets that match those tabs and you put it on one, then stretch it over the second, and let go, and it will elastically contract and hold itself. I'd think floor sound deadener attachments here.
Thanks, that makes sense! I guess a previous owner already removed the sound deadener.

Jérôme
Old February 20th, 2021, 07:29 PM

I believe the tabs are straight up at the factory. Carpet or rubber floors is laid over them(most have some type of a soft backer) than the tabs are bend or pounded down holding everything in place
Old February 22nd, 2021, 08:14 AM

I may be talking out my ear, but perhaps there was some kind of plastic or vinyl wiring tray that was held down by those clips. I don't think you'd want wires directly clamped by those clips.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 08:05 AM

It's been a while ago but I've replaced the carpet twice in my 55 and I don't remember seeing those tabs. I also don't remember having any wires running in that area, maybe they are different on a 55....Tedd