71 Supreme Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM
71 Cutlass Supreme

71 Supreme Convertible Top Problem

I have what appears to be an intermittent problem with the movement of the convertible top in my 71 Cutlass Supreme... sometimes it works fine, sometimes it stops moving and then will continue after I let it rest for a minute or so, sometimes it stops moving totally (until I come back to it the next day). I replaced the original switch with a high capacity plow toggle... the original switch was getting very hot, then stopped working completely (too expensive to keep changing out).

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on... ground problem? Is there some kind of relay in the line that is resetting after some period of time?
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM

There is a circuit breaker on the firewall behind the brake booster.Sounds
like the top motor is overheating and casuing the breaker to pop and then reset after awhile. I had to replace my breaker last year and had to put a 40 amp one in, so that tells you the motor draws alot when it's working ok,and I'm sure that is the reason your switch was getting so hot.
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sturgeon
I have what appears to be an intermittent problem with the movement of the convertible top in my 71 Cutlass Supreme... sometimes it works fine, sometimes it stops moving and then will continue after I let it rest for a minute or so, sometimes it stops moving totally (until I come back to it the next day). I replaced the original switch with a high capacity plow toggle... the original switch was getting very hot, then stopped working completely (too expensive to keep changing out).

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on... ground problem? Is there some kind of relay in the line that is resetting after some period of time?
Are you sure the hydraulic reservoir is full?