'76 Cutlass Headlight/Blinker Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 01:30 AM
sickbox

Exclamation '76 Cutlass Headlight/Blinker Problem

'76 Cutlass

Sorry but I'm asking this for my friend and do not have access to the car all the time. She got this car a little while back and is now having some problems with the headlights and blinkers. Just wanna see if anyone can help so that she doesn't get jacked by some random repair shop.

The Headlights/High beams will not come on at all. Tail/Brake lights still work. The right blinker still makes the clicking sound when turned on but no lights and no indicator. The left blinker has no clicking and is out but the left blinker indicator stays lit. The lights on either side of the bumper near (or on?) the fender turn on (side markers?) not sure if they're supposed to blink.

Apparently this all happened separately. Left blinker then headlights then high beams something like a few days apart.

I'm only used to working on Honda's myself and would like any help I can get since this car is much different. I've checked all the fuses that I thought might have something to do with lights but had no luck. I'll definitely be changing the left blinker but am pretty sure that it wont be the easy fix but it would be great to know a little more info before hand.

Thanks much!

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Past Administrator

Look for bad sockets/lamps/wires in the fenders and bumpers. The clicking sound is the flasher unit, apparently it is working, at least.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Head lights would be the dimmer switch mounted on steering column,The rest probably bad bulbs or sockets.Use a good 12 volt test light to check power to each.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM

the turn signals and tail light issues could all be linked to a faulty turn signal switch in the steering column. All rear light signals go through this switch. Is the hazard switch functioning also? I had a problem where I put my foot on the brake and all the lights came on. The hazard switch was set but was not blinking. Press hte brake and it would interrupt the signal, like it is supposed to, and cause all the lights to come on. Took a little while on that one.

As for the high beams, I was not aware of the year that they decided to change over to column activated. If hers is on the column and when you pull back you hear no click, the switch has gotten out of adjustment on the top of the columnn under the dash. If you can hear a click it is most likely a bad switch.

Give us more details as you find them.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I hate those column bright switches.
When mine went bad, I managed to snake it out of the column without taking anything apart.

Can't get it back in that way though lol.

as far as the lights not coming on, I'd check the ground wire connection. It should be bolted to the radiator support somewhere. Clean that up, and grind to bare metal where it connects to the body. Put a thin thin coat of dielectric grease on the metal "o"

If that doesn't help, it's probably the switch

Last edited by J-(Chicago); October 24th, 2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
sickbox

Thanks for all the replies! I should be able to try some of this stuff out this weekend. I'll make sure to get back to you guys with results or extra details when I get em.

Old October 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ozoneblue
Head lights would be the dimmer switch mounted on steering column,The rest probably bad bulbs or sockets.Use a good 12 volt test light to check power to each.
I have a 76 Cutlass and the head light switch is on the dash with high beam on the floor. My 78 has the column unit which was first year for Cutlass. I think in 76 some of the full size models had the column headlight unit.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Jim's rare 80

Check grounds. Just because they are tight, doesn't mean they're good. Loosen, and re-tighten all grounds. Everyone always checks for + power. You also have to check that the + power has a place to go.
Hope this helps.