8 track repair

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM

8 track repair

Can anyone suggest a good place to send an 8 track player for repair/restoration?
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM

I have one that needs checked out also.
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Me too.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Old School Olds

Me three, lol.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:27 AM

Try Turswitch, they did great work on mine. They also restored my factory radio with new FM/AM internals and added a iPOD jack.
I believe someone on here restores them as well.

http://www.turnswitch.com/
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:33 AM

I offer a refurbishing service for the Delco T400 8 track players. The ideal candidate would be a player that works but needs to be cleaned and adjusted and have new belts installed.

Before servicing the unit, I will bench test it for free and determine what, if any, repairs need to be made and contact you with a price quote for any needed repairs so you can decide how to procede. The refurbishing service described below is $95 + return shipping. Any needed repairs would be an additional cost.

***************SERVICING THE UNIT*************
1. Clean the heads.
2. Clean and lube the track changing mechanism and adjust the solenoid if needed.
3. Remove the flywheel, clean and resurface the capstan shaft, lubricate and reinstall it
4. Remove the tape stripper and clean it and the capstan shaft bushings.
5. Clean/burnish the automatic and manual program switch contacts.
6. Install new drive belts.
7. Adjust the heads, azimuth and channel crosstalk.
8. Adjust the tape motor speed.
9. Repaint the OLDSMOBILE lettering and border on the tape door.

I can perform this service for $95 + return shipping. This includes the cost of the new drive belts. Radio repair shops will want anywhere from $300 - $400 for this service. Please keep in mind, as mentioned above, I am not a repair shop and don’t have access to many replacement parts so I can not guarantee that I will be able to get a player working if it doesn’t currently work. I have had pretty good luck with them but my service is mainly for those players that work but need to be refurbished.
I can tell you how to bench test it yoourself if you'd like.
I haven't had one yet that I had to send back with out servicing because I couldn't fix it or didn't have the needed parts but it could happen.

Randy
e-mail w70442@hotmail.com

Last edited by W70442; September 19th, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Lansing built

suggestion

I have not used this guy, 40 years exp!
http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/

Pat
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Just for future reference, I offer the refurbishment service that W70442 does, but only to combination in-dash AM/FM 8-track and cassette units. I do not do the underdash units.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Sounds good. How about broken mounts? Both mounts broke off on mine during shipping. I suppose they could be epoxied but I dont know how strong it would be.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 71DP
Sounds good. How about broken mounts? Both mounts broke off on mine during shipping. I suppose they could be epoxied but I dont know how strong it would be.
Randy fixes that too. I had a broken case just like what you're describing. He fixed mine and it looks better than new. I recommend him highly, and there's not too many around who get that kind of praise from me.
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Thank you for the kind words Allan. I try....

Besides refurbishing the players, I do lso repair broken Olds plastic 8 track housings. In fact, that's how I developed the stereo and gauge housings I sell that are based on the 8 track housing. I adapted my unique repair process to create those housings.
Email me at w70442@hotmail.com if anyone would like more info on the housing repairs. It runs $64.95 + return shipping. I can also provide new reproduction metal mounting brackets for $10 each if your housing is missing a bracket. Once they break off, they tend to get lost.

The repaired housing will be stronger than the original and will be guaranteed not to break on the sides again like they tend to do. I do reuse the original front vertical section of the housing so that part needs to be intact. The seam between the old and new parts will be hidden behind the trim pad once it is installed so there is no obvious visible evidence that the housing has been repaired.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM

I get the deal about leaving them in for looks but where are you guys finding 8-track cartridges to listen to? Should you come across used ones, aren't they all faded from magnetic oxide molecules leaving to another universe?

Just ... click ... wondering? (sorry, had to change tracks)
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
I get the deal about leaving them in for looks but where are you guys finding 8-track cartridges to listen to? Should you come across used ones, aren't they all faded from magnetic oxide molecules leaving to another universe?
I found a couple boxes full in the garage that I used to test the played I have repaired. They sound pretty good for their age - they just lack the high frequencies that they might have had long ago.
I still see them in estate sales, flea markets and trift and antique shops at reasonable prices.

Some of us have 8-track recorders so we can record our favorites onto blanks, or even over prerecorded tapes. I did that when I was young, when 8-track decks were found in trash cans everywhere. I used to record tapes for the clubhouse way back then and I still have the recorder.

If the tapes have been kept under 100* for most their life and away from dust and magnetism and sunlight, they may be fine. However, they could break at any time...
Any foam pads under the tape is prolly deteriorated and while it does not affect sound quality too much, the track sensor may not work as it needs some good pressure on it if the changer solenoid is a high current one...

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
Just ... click ... wondering? (sorry, had to change tracks)
Pun intended?
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:27 AM

Barry's 8 Track Repair

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I have not used this guy, 40 years exp!
http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/

Pat
Hi guys, it's Barry and thanks for the plug. I do operate the world's best-equipped, full service 8 track facility. 2000 + new motors in stock for all types of units, lifetime warranty on all work performed. We specialize in full internal restoration including a new motor, MP3 input, line outs. We are the only shop in the world with NEW motors for almost all car and home units.

We are bonded and carry an overall rating of A- with the BBB. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diner's Club. Flat rate pricing, free return shipping. Please visit our website or call 813-FX-8TRACK (813-398-8722). 7 years online.