lectrical problem

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
daves olds

lectrical problem

i have a 1987 olds toronado trofeo that has a good alternator and battery but i have to unhook battery every time i shut car down or it will be dead in an hour and also shows electrical problem on led occasionaly im unsure on what to do besided set fire to it and call it over lol dave
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Hey Dave, my mom had a grand prix, I think it was an 89, anyway her car was having a similar problem to yours, after alot of head scratching the problem was traced back to a loose circuit board in the speedo housing. We soldered the leads and it temporarily fixed it(the battery quit draining but the fuel gauge and tach went wacky,thats a technical term for awry) we ended up replacing the whole speedo cluster unit and it solved everything.Not sure if this will help on your car but it might be a spot to look.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Connect a test light in between the positive battery terminal and the positive battery cable. If there is a draw the test light will be on. In your case since you are having problems with the gauges, pull the fuse for the gauges and see if the test light goes out. If it does, you narrowed down your problem down to the gauges and what ever else is in the same circuit of the fuse you pulled. If it does not go out, start pulling other fuses one at a time and see which one turns off the test light.