New gauges sets experiences

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2024, 08:07 AM

New gauges sets experiences

I am looking at getting replacement dash gauges for speedo, tach and oil/volts/temp/fuel. What has everyone else done? I am looking at getting these:
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd951.htm
Does anyone have any experience with those particularly?

Should be a nice addition to the rebuild and introduction of the car back onto the road. Thoughts? Any other kits out there that I should consider?
Old April 26th, 2024, 08:24 AM

I'm pretty sure that DD uses some sort of interface box, which I am not a fan of. If something goes south, it is easier to troubleshoot individual gauges. That being said, Autometer is a solid go-to, but the price can get pretty high piecing a package together. I've done 2 sets of NVU/Innovative, and they seem nice.
My biggest problem with gauge sets made for specific cars is that the mounting brackets usually need a lot of work to get "right". The angles are off or the holes don't quite line up correctly. You're better off fitting them yourself.
Old April 26th, 2024, 08:32 AM

Just depends on what you want for features and appearance. Any 3 3/8" gauge can be mounted *to* the gauge trim, or the Dakota kits that mount in place of the original gauges behind the trim. So it's down to what features and what look you want. You'll have to re-wire things behind the gauges, and decide whether to run a mechanical or electronic speedo.
Old April 26th, 2024, 09:18 AM

x2 on AutoMeter gauges. I have several in my classic Ford truck. The only bad thing is that they aren't fit for a concours restoration.
Old April 26th, 2024, 09:22 AM

I have done one NVU setup in the silver car and I made the mounting myself. What I am looking for in this installation is three gauge pods that are speedometer, tachometer, and a combo that are all the same size. The problem with NVU is they don’t have something like this. Dakota Digital does have the 3 same size pods speedo/tach/combo just like I envisioned so I think I am going to try it. I do not like the interface box either, however, it seems I do not have a choice since no one else makes the three gauge pod setup like I want.
Old April 26th, 2024, 09:42 AM

The look of the Dakota gauges didn't really work for me so I went with Speedhut which let me pick my letter style, colours, needle and even add a personalized graphic. I haven't installed them yet, but they look good IMO.

These are the 3 1/8" size and will require some fabrication to mount as they're smaller than the stock openings.

Old April 26th, 2024, 12:25 PM
Gary

I used a instrument shop to modify and calibrate my three OEM pods. I gave them my senders and a description of the face designs I wanted. They gave me pre-approval artwork. We went back and forth on that until I was satisfied.

They were quite creative. I sent them a clock and they made it into a tachometer.

No worries about fitment or an interface box!
Old April 26th, 2024, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
I am looking at getting replacement dash gauges for speedo, tach and oil/volts/temp/fuel. What has everyone else done? I am looking at getting these:
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd951.htm
Does anyone have any experience with those particularly?

Should be a nice addition to the rebuild and introduction of the car back onto the road. Thoughts? Any other kits out there that I should consider?
Are you looking to add any additional gauges beyond tach, speedo, temp, fuel, oil, batt? If so, this is probably the biggest benifit of the Dakota Digital gauges. If you have the money, you may think about going with the RTX style. They have more of a factory look than the VHX.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1374.htm

I am running a VHX set in my Vista Cruiser. In addition to reading tach, speedo, temp, fuel, oil, and batt, I have expansion modules to read my air ride tank pressure, gear shift position, trans temp, fuel pressure, and power steering temp. All of the above gauges except for the speedo and gear position also have adjustable warning limits that will start flashing if you go under/ over your customizable setting. I believe the RTX has a buzzer that will go off as well. The interface also has an output for a shift light if you choose.

I'll also add that these gauges incorporate 2 trip odometers and indicator lights for things like cruise control and check engine.
Old April 27th, 2024, 04:15 AM

Nice! That's a great looking dash. I went ahead and ordered the VHX series. The RTX series looks great and very period correct, but for $700 more, I think the VHX is fine. I got the red backlighting option.
Thanks for all the input y'all!