General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1964 442 Experimental Convertible

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2021, 01:27 PM

1964 442 Experimental Convertible

Some photos were featured in JWO years ago. Not much is known about it. Has anyone heard if this one prototype exists anywhere? —Billy

Old September 27th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Oldsdruid

Not much other than it was an auto show build. Made the circuit, a few ideas made it to production, then it faded away.
Old September 27th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Administrator

That concept car made its debut in the 1964 New York auto show.
Old September 27th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Looks like a George Barris.
Old September 27th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Banned

One of my favorite things are old car show cars. So many just got crushed after the circuit. My guess would be same for this car.
Thank You for posting these. I am a total geek for early photos and history.

I read the other day that all the Firebirds from Smokey and The Bandit were donated by Pontiac returned and crushed. Who knew.
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Banned

I wonder. Were those actual eight lug wheels borrowed from Pontiac? Bolt pattern looks very similar. Not necessarily the wheels but the application. Oldsmobile wheels on the Pontiac idea.
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I wonder. Were those actual eight lug wheels borrowed from Pontiac? Bolt pattern looks very similar. Not necessarily the wheels but the application. Oldsmobile wheels on the Pontiac idea.
Not even close to Poncho wheels. The Pontiac wheels fit over an exposed aluminum brake drum. The dish in these wheels prevents that. More likely when you remove that fake knock-off center, you'll find the normal five lug nuts.
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Not much other than it was an auto show build. Made the circuit, a few ideas made it to production, then it faded away.
^^^This. It's just a show car, one of many that Olds built and put on display over the years. There was never an intent to be production. Auto makers use show cars like this to gauge customer reaction to styling ideas and gadgets. This is no different than the 1954 Cutlass, the X-215, or the JT-R, or the 1963 El Torero.

Old September 27th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not even close to Poncho wheels. The Pontiac wheels fit over an exposed aluminum brake drum. The dish in these wheels prevents that. More likely when you remove that fake knock-off center, you'll find the normal five lug nuts.
I really did feel the same on just covers. Maybe trying to give Oldsmobile some love trying an eight lug. Doesn't that pattern look to mimic the Pontiac eight lug spread?
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

I really did feel the same on just covers. Maybe trying to give Oldsmobile some love trying an eight lug. Doesn't that pattern look to mimic the Pontiac eight lug spread?
If you divide the circumference of a 14" diameter circle into eight parts, you're going to get the same bolt pattern layout.
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Banned

They look like an early magnesium wheel. Like a Motor Wheel wheel. They did have a connection with Oldsmobile. Prototype Firestones. Would love to know.

There you go also. Cutlass 442 on the same fender. Car show slash prototypes are some of my favorites. Oldsmobile didn't have to Prototype their 70-72 hood. Experiment with the 69 and Nailed it in 70. Nailed it. Second most productive forced Air hood in the musclecar era. First was the 440 6 bubble 69 Roadrunner / Superbee lift off hood.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; September 27th, 2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:43 PM

I just hoped that since the F88 exists, wouldn’t it be cool if somebody had the 64 442 convertible in a garage somewhere?
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

There you go also. Cutlass 442 on the same fender. Car show slash prototypes are some of my favorites. Oldsmobile didn't have to Prototype their 70-72 hood. Experiment with the 69 and Nailed it in 79. Nailed it. Second most productive forced Air hood in the musclecar era. First was the 440 6 bubble 69 Roadrunner / Superbee lift off hood.
I don't know what you mean by "productive", but musclecar hoods with the scoop in the center of the hood like that Mopar are the worst. That's a low pressure area - air is actually sucked OUT of the air cleaner. Of course, the whole "ram" air thing is marketing. There is no "ram" effect to speak of - air flow turbulence negates any pressure difference. The big advantage is lower inlet temp (about 1 HP increase for every 7-10 deg F reduction in inlet air temp). I'd argue that the 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone was the only hood with better airflow characteristics than the W25.

Old September 27th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billyaxe
I just hoped that since the F88 exists, wouldn’t it be cool if somebody had the 64 442 convertible in a garage somewhere?
We all wish. But...🌃
Old September 27th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I don't know what you mean by "productive", but musclecar hoods with the scoop in the center of the hood like that Mopar are the worst. That's a low pressure area - air is actually sucked OUT of the air cleaner. Of course, the whole "ram" air thing is marketing. There is no "ram" effect to speak of - air flow turbulence negates any pressure difference. The big advantage is lower inlet temp (about 1 HP increase for every 7-10 deg F reduction in inlet air temp). I'd argue that the 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone was the only hood with better airflow characteristics than the W25.

I meant productive as in efficient slash productive. Both the Mopar hood and the Olds hood sucked from an area of cooler air. Productive as in best for the engine. I love an early Mercury hood but. That hood sucks hot air all day. Truth. The Mopar and Olds hoods pulled air from a cooler air flow. Just a fact. Not looking to butt hurt anyone. Love that Comet if it is yours by the way.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; September 27th, 2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old September 27th, 2021, 07:18 PM
Oldsdruid

The Mercury hood ducts are, like the Olds hood, right in the high pressure area at front of the vehicle. If you look close, later emissions aircleaner inlet ducting is also positioned to take advantage of high pressure at the front of the vehicle. And brick-shaped vehicles create a lot of high pressure in that area.

Pontiac Formula hoods were another exceptionally efficient outside air induction design. Even after the scoop inlets were blanked off mid 70s, those hoods incorporated a slot underneath the scoop, above each grille, that directed cooler high pressure outside air thru the scoop to the carburetor.

On the 64 show car, you will see 66-67 Toronado tailpanel cues. The Cibie headlamps were a long way from legal in the US in 1964.

I can't remember if it was the AMT 64 Cutlass kit or the 65 Dynamic 88 kit that included those wheels. If you think back over the years, a lot of Oldsmobile wheel treatments were based on an 8 point design. It worked for them.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 27th, 2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old September 29th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Personally, I find that ‘64 has a a number of “features” that might have made it a real sales contender rather than a small footnote in auto history, but, what do I know?

As long as we’re going sideways, my vote for best factory air induction? No special hood at all! But, to their credit, Olds had some pretty cool setups.

Old September 29th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bccan
Personally, I find that ‘64 has a a number of “features” that might have made it a real sales contender rather than a small footnote in auto history, but, what do I know?

As long as we’re going sideways, my vote for best factory air induction? No special hood at all! But, to their credit, Olds had some pretty cool setups.

Chevy engine?!?! That Is true cowl induction the way the nascrap boys do it.
Old September 29th, 2021, 05:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Chevrolet was using that by mid 60s on some "special" cars. Think it was first used on 63 Z11 cars. It works. Base of windshield is another high-pressure airflow area.

I had a Popular Mechanics subscription as a teenager and one issue had a how-to on making one of those cowl air setups. Could never convince my dad to let me do it on his ElCamino.
Old October 1st, 2021, 05:29 PM

Pontiac Super Duty 8 lug wheel.

Old October 1st, 2021, 08:09 PM
Banned

I should have worded it differently. I didn't think it was an eight lug Pontiac wheel. Obviously nowhere close. I thought Pontiac inspired eight lug wheel. Were Pontiac eight lug wheels made by Motor Wheel?