General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 cutlass supreme overheating with electric fans and aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2024, 08:40 PM

1970 cutlass supreme overheating with electric fans and aluminum radiator

1970 Oldsmobile cutlass is overheating I install electric fans and aluminum radiator. I have a 160 thermostat also have a 195/210 top and bottom is getting hard at idle after 10 to 15 minutesof car running Can pull radiator cap off coolant is flowing through radiator. Water is going through holes as soon as thermostat opens up within 5 to 6 minute both hoses get hard can't seem to figure out the problem not too sure if it's the water pump bad or blockage motor in any ideas
Old April 22nd, 2024, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bigstan78
1970 Oldsmobile cutlass is overheating I install electric fans and aluminum radiator. I have a 160 thermostat also have a 195/210 top and bottom is getting hard at idle after 10 to 15 minutesof car running Can pull radiator cap off coolant is flowing through radiator. Water is going through holes as soon as thermostat opens up within 5 to 6 minute both hoses get hard can't seem to figure out the problem not too sure if it's the water pump bad or blockage motor in any ideas
Burp it? maybe there is an air bubble trapped
Old April 22nd, 2024, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Burch
Burp it? maybe there is an air bubble trapped

how should I do it never had to burp a cooling system
Old April 23rd, 2024, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

The water pump won't cause overheating (despite the fact that it's the first thing everyone wants to replace). Unless the impeller has sheared off the shaft (and you're more likely to win the lottery), if the pump is turning, coolant is circulating.

At the risk of repeating myself, these cars didn't overheat when they left the factory with a mechanical fan and copper radiator. How about starting by telling us exactly what else has been done to the motor? Many overheating problems are not cooling system problems. Incorrect vacuum advance and lean mixture can also cause overheating. Are all the seals in place between the radiator and core support? And a 19" mechanical clutch fan will move more air than electrics.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 06:20 AM

Stupid question, if you can take the radiator cap off after running and coolant is not boiling over are you sure it is overheating ? what to do you mean by 195 & 210 top and bottom, , do you have a hand held infrared thermostat ? My thought is to get yourself a thermostat that goes into the radiator coolant and see what that reads as to your gauge.. gauges can be off,,If the water-pump propeller fell off it would over heat real fast & keep climbing... good luck !

Last edited by zl1 camaro; April 23rd, 2024 at 06:33 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 06:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zl1 camaro
Stupid question, if you can take the radiator cap off after running and coolant is not boiling over are you sure it is overheating ?
I ***-U-ME he is talking about removing the cap right after starting a cold engine to see the flow. I've done that also. If you leave it off, it will boil over.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I ***-U-ME he is talking about removing the cap right after starting a cold engine to see the flow. I've done that also. If you leave it off, it will boil over.
You are correct sir that's exactly what I mean
Old April 23rd, 2024, 06:36 AM

The water pump won't cause overheating (despite the fact that it's the first thing everyone wants to replace). Unless the impeller has sheared off the shaft (and you're more likely to win the lottery), if the pump is turning, coolant is circulating.

At the risk of repeating myself, these cars didn't overheat when they left the factory with a mechanical fan and copper radiator. How about starting by telling us exactly what else has been done to the motor? Many overheating problems are not cooling system problems. Incorrect vacuum advance and lean mixture can also cause overheating. Are all the seals in place between the radiator and core support? And a 19" mechanical clutch fan will move more air than electrics.
if the 19 inch mechanical fan pulled and threw more air than electric fans why would newer vehicles come with electric fans that run at a higher temperatures and cools off extremely better just wanted a modern twist for classic so it runs cooler and has more throttle responsible heat plays a major part totally understand what you're saying but if the mechanical fans were that good, they would've never opted out to electric fans on vehicles that produce more power from factory
Old April 23rd, 2024, 06:45 AM

if the 19 inch mechanical fan pulled and threw more air than electric fans why would newer vehicles come with electric fans that run at a higher temperatures and cools off extremely better just wanted a modern twist for classic so it runs cooler and has more throttle responsible heat plays a major part totally understand what you're saying but if the mechanical fans were that good, they would've never opted out to electric fans on vehicles that produce more power from factory
cause electric fans do not need to run all the time to save on energy. electric fans only turn on under 30 mph or when the a/c is on. its all about fuel economy. yes electric fans are very efficient & very light weight...
Old April 23rd, 2024, 07:27 AM

cause electric fans do not need to run all the time to save on energy. electric fans only turn on under 30 mph or when the a/c is on. its all about fuel economy. yes electric fans are very efficient & very light weight...
and you are 100% correct fans do not run all the time exactly how my fans run in the 1970 cutlass supreme. My fans only kick on at 210 and turn off at 195 which I feel that the temperature sensor is pretty high so I'm gonna change it to it 175 to a 185 meaning it kicks on at 185 and turns off at 175 I'm running at 160 thermostat
Old April 23rd, 2024, 07:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Electric fans would be impossible to use in vehicles with transverse mounted engines which are very common with all the front wheel drive vehicles today.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Electric fans would be impossible to use in vehicles with transverse mounted engines which are very common with all the front wheel drive vehicles today.
YOU mean belt driven fans would be impossible to use with transverse mounted engines ? all transverse mounted engines require electric fans..
Old April 23rd, 2024, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

New cars use electric fans because (1) it's pretty hard to use a mechanical fan when the engine sits sideways in a FWD car, and (2) electric fans are easier to computer control to turn off and save a couple of drops of gasoline when not needed. But hey, you;re the one with cooling problems. All of my vehicles have mechanical clutch fans, and none of them overheat - even when sitting for over two hours in line waiting to get into the venues on Power Tour in 95 deg weather last year.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 09:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

YOU mean belt driven fans would be impossible to use with transverse mounted engines ? all transverse mounted engines require electric fans..
Yeh, I kind of screwed that one up and said the opposite of what I meant.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 09:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, not "all"

Old April 23rd, 2024, 09:43 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Yeh, I kind of screwed that one up and said the opposite of what I meant.
I thought that's what you meant..
Old April 23rd, 2024, 09:44 AM

Well, not "all"

your funny joe !!! that looks like a fine piece of driving material or should I say driving apparatus ?

Last edited by zl1 camaro; April 23rd, 2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 10:04 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Other thoughts:
Honestly, I don't see a problem here. 210°F on the outlet from the engine(bottom hose) is fine.
210°F is not high.
195-210° is the optimal range for this vintage engine. 160-185° is too cold for an IC engine to run efficiently. 220-230 would be in the yellow...235°-and up is too hot.
Hard hoses at idle are normal at full operating temp & system pressure. The pressure is there for a reason, to increase the boiling point.
What PSI is the cap? Verify it is popping off at the rated PSI (with a pressure tester). You can run a lighter cap. Stationary gen-sets run 8PSI. I don't recommend that low but 12-14PSI is fine if you are losing sleep over the stiff hoses.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 01:37 PM

Kinda hard to have an engine driven fan with the engine mounted sideways.

Mechanical rams are kinda noisy when they are engaged. I’m sure the NVH engineers hated them.

The engine will warm up faster with the fans off. That’s important for meeting ever more restrictive emissions standards.

Electric fans are ever so slightly more efficient from a fuel economy perspective.

Having said all that, it’s hard to beat a good thermal fan clutch with an engine driven fan. If electric fans were more efficient, big trucks would use them.

My 06 diesel truck has the best of both worlds, it’s got a mechanical fan with an electric clutch. The fan does nothing until the pcm commands the fan on. There is no questioning when that happens!!
Old April 23rd, 2024, 01:40 PM

how should I do it never had to burp a cooling system

Elevate the front of the car. Remove the radiator cap, top off the cooling system. Leave the cap off and the front raised up. Gravity will naturally force coolant down, and push any air out. The next morning, slowly top off the radiator, reinstall the cap and lower the car. Problem solved.

Work smarter, not harder!!
Old April 23rd, 2024, 03:24 PM

Radiators without a coolant recovery system on it do not get filled to the very top, thee must be room for expansion. If you fill the radiator to the top, it will always push coolant onto the ground or into the catch can as the car warms up. This is not overheating.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Radiators without a coolant recovery system on it do not get filled to the very top, thee must be room for expansion. If you fill the radiator to the top, it will always push coolant onto the ground or into the catch can as the car warms up. This is not overheating.
Good point.
Old April 24th, 2024, 05:39 PM

Found out that my fans were pushing instead of pulling air open and fix the problem. Also going to change the temp switch to 175/185 I'm see when I get home
Old April 24th, 2024, 05:55 PM

Yep, thatll do it.
Change that thermostat to 180