General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971 W-30 inner fender wells

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1971 W-30s had red inner fenders for the first part of the model year. Once the supply of red inners got used up, remaining cars got black inners. I'm sure someone will have info on the last production date with red inners.
I just purchased a 71 w30 with black fenderwells and am trying to determine if they are correct
I have found conflicting information around the internet. Any way to determine for sure if my car has correct wells
Production from vin is 159731. It would be great to know the production code of the car that has one red and one black.
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
A friend of mine back in the early eighties showed me his 71 W-30 and it only had a left side red fender well the other side was black. He ordered it new and thats the way it came in. He had the dealer order the right side in red but the part # came back discontinued. The factory did run out of red wells in 71 and in 72 did not have any to put into the 72 W-30s. If you see a 72 W with red wells they have been put in after the fact.
I just purchased a 71 w30 with black fenderwells and amtrying to determine if they are correct
I have found conflicting information around the internet. Any way to determine for sure if my car has correct wells
Production from vin is 159731. It would be great to know tge production code of the car tgat has one red and one black
Old August 31st, 2014, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by erw813
I just purchased a 71 w30 with black fenderwells and amtrying to determine if they are correct
Production from vin is 159731. It would be great to know tge production code of the car tgat has one red and one black
Check your VIN and cowl tag. The VIN should show the car is built at Lansing (code M) in the VIN, and the Cowl tag should show LAN on it. If it was built at any other plant it's simply not a W30.

There were 442's and there were 442 W30's. The 1971 442 W30 should have red inner fender liners.
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:21 AM

Like mentioned above. 71 442 W-30 has red, 71 442 has black. if you have documentation that it is a real W-30 then someone has changed them. If you don't have documentation that it is W-30, It could be that someone changed them or someone added the W-30 emblems and the car is only a 442. The VIN will not tell you if it is a W-30
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:22 AM
Lansing built

Let's see some pictures of the engine bay. There are few tell tale items that should be there! Also is this an auto or manual trans?

Pat
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:54 AM

VIN:
344871M159731

Can post pics at a later date. I have window sticker showing W Machine Option. However, the car has black fender wells which is what is puzzling me. I just bought car and do not have it nearby yet but supposedly the drivetrain is correct.

Is there a definitive way to find out whether red was used midway through 71 productions? Others say they were used up until the first 6-10 cars in 72. Just looking for some more definitive information. It seems that most opinions have at least one different or opposing opinion when it comes to these cars.

Thanks for the input!

Ed
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Your 71 should have the red inner liners if it indeed a W30. The original bill of sale showing the w option is great provenance that documents the car, don't lose that. I wouldn't be surprised if a previous owner removed and sold them, as they are worth some serious coin in OEM excellent condition. The VIN production sequence suggests it was produced in early 71. What is the bild date code on the cowl tag? I'm guessing it's somewhere around September or October of 71. If not sure about date code, it's on the cowl tag down by the rivet. Should be two numbers followed by a letter. The number is the moth, and the letter is the week.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Like mentioned above. 71 442 W-30 has red, 71 442 has black. if you have documentation that it is a real W-30 then someone has changed them. If you don't have documentation that it is W-30, It could be that someone changed them or someone added the W-30 emblems and the car is only a 442. The VIN will not tell you if it is a W-30

It could also have been wrecked and repaired with new black wells.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

VIN:
344871M159731

Can post pics at a later date. I have window sticker showing W Machine Option. However, the car has black fender wells which is what is puzzling me. I just bought car and do not have it nearby yet but supposedly the drivetrain is correct.

Is there a definitive way to find out whether red was used midway through 71 productions? Others say they were used up until the first 6-10 cars in 72. Just looking for some more definitive information. It seems that most opinions have at least one different or opposing opinion when it comes to these cars.

Thanks for the input!

Ed
Just to add, my w30 .......M144489with a build date of first week in Feb 1971(02A) came with red fender wells, but were stolen

Love to see pics of your car!

Last edited by sammy; September 2nd, 2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Correction
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical threads and gave you your own dedicated thread. You'll always get better information if you keep all the replies to your questions in a single thread, as that lets others read (and if necessary, correct) ALL prior responses. Also, while the topics were related, resurrecting a thread that's been dead since 2008 probably isn't the best way to get information. Good luck.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM

Since this thread came back to life, I thought I'd add a story. About 25 years ago I wrote an estimate to paint an original owner 71 W-30 HT. It was lime green with green guts 4 spd car. Original paint, stripes, emblems, and bought as a factory demo. from Story Olds in Lansing. Original sales invoice clearly stated W-30 option. Problem was it had black wells and manual drum brakes. The owner said that was the way he bought it and asked me at the time if it would be best to correct the wrong parts. I told him that since he had docs. and a picture of him with his car just after he bought it. "If it was me I'd leave it". I never heard from the owner after that, but I've often wondered about the exsistance of that car. ~BOB
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:43 PM

Gentlemen,

I really appreciate all the feedback. I was the the proud (but young) owner of a 72 w30 convertible(with the X), back in the late 80's(sherwood green with white interior). It pains me to see what they are selling for these days(sold it in excellent condition for 11.5k). Nevertheless, after some recent success, I have decided to reinvest in the breed and purchased a 1970 442 INDY Pace Car and the aforementioned 71 W-30 over the weekend. Both will be here within a week and i will certainly share them with you all. I have to admit curiosity on the fender wells is really got my attention. I have a good friend with a body shop and we will be making a careful close inspection upon arrival. The car cost me 19k and is in good condition and as such I won't complain. I just really want to know. The 442.com web site and others state unequivocally the fenders are red in 71 but then there are these other stories. Nevertheless, I cannot tell you how elated I am to be an OLDS muscle car owner 2 times over after all these years driving volkswagens, toyotas, and pick-ups. I just love the ride of an OLDS with a 455!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

As noted if it's a 71 W30 it should have red inner liners. There are great pics showing the difference between after market and OEM liners on the other thread I started years ago. Looking forward to the pics, and welcome back to Olds.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:54 AM

Part of the W-30 option in 1971 was the red fenderwells. If it is a true factory W-30 it should have come with them.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Your 71 should have the red inner liners if it indeed a W30. The original bill of sale showing the w option is great provenance that documents the car, don't lose that. I wouldn't be surprised if a previous owner removed and sold them, as they are worth some serious coin in OEM excellent condition. The VIN production sequence suggests it was produced in early 71. What is the bild date code on the cowl tag? I'm guessing it's somewhere around September or October of 71. If not sure about date code, it's on the cowl tag down by the rivet. Should be two numbers followed by a letter. The number is the moth, and the letter is the week.
03A
1st week of March?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, 1st week of March 1971. The production years ended around July so the new models would start being produced for dealer inventory in July/August. Your car was built later than I thought. According to one source I looked at there were a total of 7589 442's produced in 71, and of that yours would be one of the 810 fastbacks that were W30's.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the feedback, ecpecting car here tomorrow.

So I am curious, does the 6 digit code in VIN tie to the build date? Or should it? Or might it?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not really. It's simply a sequencing number applied by Lansing when the car was processed for the Assembly line.

Depending on production the VIN number could 'sort of' tie into the build date, IF you knew how many were being produced every month. But that's kind of a crap shoot as there was no set production quotas for these cars that I know about.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Not to hijack, but PO w30 and mine were assembled 1 month apart...is it safe to say that 15, 242 CARS were produced that month?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:51 PM

So here is what I have:
1971 442 with correct vin and cowl codes
Original Window Sticker Listing W-30 Machine Package
Block has matching vin derivative
Heads are H
Intake is Aluminum W455
OW Transmission
Limited Slip differential
Original Fiberglass Hood
Tach and Steering Wheel look right (no his/hers)
Motor Runs Good
Body Decent ( no rust but it is not a primo paint job ( and it is white when the paint code is Saturn Gold 53)

That is most of the good

On the negative side
There is one black fender well and one red well painted black (accident?)
The air intake is not correct
No power steering
No Power Brakes
Car seems to be the victim of a novice restoration that I have some pictures of
Velvet interior (barf)
442 and w30 fender emblems poorly placed

Tried to load pictures but got a security error message

Curious does anything sound out of line aside from the novice restoration crap?
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:02 AM

So here is what I have:
Heads are H
Intake is Aluminum W455
OW Transmission
Original Fiberglass Hood
Tach and Steering Wheel look right (no his/hers)
Motor Runs Good
Body Decent ( no rust but it is not a primo paint job ( and it is white when the paint code is Saturn Gold 53)

That is most of the good

On the negative side
There is one black fender well and one red well painted black (accident?)
The air intake is not correct
No power steering
No Power Brakes
Car seems to be the victim of a novice restoration that I have some pictures of
Velvet interior (barf)
442 and w30 fender emblems poorly placed

Tried to load pictures but got a security error message

If one side well is a black well and one side is a painted black red well I'd guess and say the side with the full black well was impacted at one time and the shop could not find a red well and replaced it with a black one and sprayed the red one to match
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So here is what I have:
Heads are H
Intake is Aluminum W455
OW Transmission
Original Fiberglass Hood

Actually it sounds really excellent, especially the heads, trans and intake. Does it still have the original carb? I'd be curious if it has a W27 axle on the window sticker. That would make this car very unique. Frame and preserve that window sticker, it's also early valuable provenance for the car.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Actually it sounds really excellent, especially the heads, trans and intake. Does it still have the original carb? I'd be curious if it has a W27 axle on the window sticker. That would make this car very unique. Frame and preserve that window sticker, it's also early valuable provenance for the car.
W-27 was not available in 71. 71's had 8.5 rear axles.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
W-27 was not available in 71. 71's had 8.5 rear axles.
Doh, I knew that too. Still waiting for my mornin coffee.
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:31 AM

I was a Olds Parts manager in the 70's and clearly remember a 71 W30 coming off the truck with one red and one black fenderwell. I tried to order another red to match the set but they were no longer in production.
I also remember some really angry owners of other W30's that were not happy about having to replace damaged red skirts with the black replacements, especially when their insurance was only paying for one...
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Banned

Is the red one painted black on the passenger side?
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
I was a Olds Parts manager in the 70's and clearly remember a 71 W30 coming off the truck with one red and one black fenderwell. I tried to order another red to match the set but they were no longer in production.
I also remember some really angry owners of other W30's that were not happy about having to replace damaged red skirts with the black replacements, especially when their insurance was only paying for one...
They were available from the parts counter after 71. I know of an NOS set that was purchased in the mid 70s.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
Why?.....Something to do with the strike?
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:01 AM

They prop ran out and instead of holding up production they just put in what they had at the time.
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

yes the red one IS painted black on the passenger side. Is there any other difference between red and black? Any way of determining if black is possible original?
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

OK. They(Oldsmobile) might have ordered x amount of RED fender wells right and left and as accidents happened mostly to the Drivers side those parts went into the parts program. So more passenger sides remained but with orders for the cars went higher then expected someone dropped the ball and/or strike to meet demand. They couldn't stop the car line. That's why there are dual exhaust bumpers on some Cutlasses in 1970 that were ordered with dual exhaust had those bumpers for a while.
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:57 PM

I originally started this post as I thought it would be a really cool unique ensemble if indeedthis is the original setup. However, as the drivetrain is correct, the car is in decent shape, and I got it for the right price, I am likely to do a major restoration which really leaves me with little choice but to make the engine bay LOOK right.
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:58 PM

1st week March
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:00 PM

Any advice to preserve the window sticker?

I've heard or repros but I think this is right. I even see the remnants of the tear off strip or mechanical roller wheel on one side, olds emblem on the back. etc. Apparently this is like gold and I need to keep it as clean as possible moving forward.
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The only way to really preserve the window sticker against further deterioration is to protect it from UV/IR and atmosphere. Have it professionally mounted in a picture frame and tell the framer the requirements and why.

The less expensive way to do it would be simply to cold laminate it. If you're going to spend the money on the restoration, do a good job on the window sticker. I'd take a good quality HR picture of it before it is mounted and framed.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:05 PM

excellent. Thanks Allan.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Shoveling Snow

Originally Posted by Mikes442
OK. They(Oldsmobile) might have ordered x amount of RED fender wells right and left and as accidents happened mostly to the Drivers side those parts went into the parts program. So more passenger sides remained but with orders for the cars went higher then expected someone dropped the ball and/or strike to meet demand. They couldn't stop the car line. That's why there are dual exhaust bumpers on some Cutlasses in 1970 that were ordered with dual exhaust had those bumpers for a while.
^^^^^^^ This!
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM

^^^^^^^ This!
He's just sayin it cause it's true.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Shoveling Snow

How much have you got left to do on the car?
I don't think you have time to be on the internet, July 2015 is coming quick.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM

How much have you got left to do on the car?
I don't think you have time to be on the internet, July 2015 is coming quick.
You're breaking up real bad.

Quick Reply: 1971 W-30 inner fender wells