General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

60-64 Oldsmobile Rarity?

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Alex

Smile 60-64 Oldsmobile Rarity?

After going to a bunch of Wisconsin car shows and attending the National Iola Car Show, for some reason it is very hard to find parts and Oldsmobile's from 1960-1964. Yes there were a few Starfires, both being 62s, but I have yet to see another Dynamic 88,98, Super 88, F-85, and JetStar. I had went to the shows in the hopes I would find parts for my 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88. I googled yesterday the production numbers of Oldsmobiles in the 60s and they did quite well. They produced 57,590 64 Dynamic 88s. Here are some of my history questions:

1. Me being from Wisconsin, were these cars more popular in other parts of the country instead of here? Like California, Neveda, Texas, Florida etc.
2. Or were there any major mechanical or drivability issues that made them not last very long on the road? (Wisconsin rust is killer)

If anyone is interested in how I got it I have a thread about it. Got it for $200! 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Legacy!

Makes me feel kind cool I might be the only 20 year old with a 64 Dynamic 88 in the state that lives!

Old July 12th, 2021, 07:25 PM

I have a 64 F85, I rarely see others.
Old July 12th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Art S

Good for you in how you got the car. Great story and what a steal. It's a beauty.
From what I found out on the web is that these particular models 4drs were real family cars and were heavily used and when they were worn out ended up in the junk yards and finally crushed for scrap iron. If they were involved in an accident and there was substantial damage the insurance companies would just claim them totaled. When I first got my license I got a used 61 chevy belair for $200 and for many years all I would buy was $500 - $1000 cars. When they would start getting pretty worn out I'd sell it. It was cheaper to just get another car than to replace the tires, exhaust or the drive train. I never thought about the future and what I was driving would some day become a collectable.
I guess the numbers just kept dwindling down to where they are now. The ones that survived were owned by people who didn't drive them very much or when they went to trade them in the dealers didn't want to give them much money for them and rather than be taken advantage of they put them away in storage. The Starfires were/are more desirable and collectable and were higher end cars which explains why there are so many of them around today.
Glad to see a young person like yourself taking an interest in a nice classic car.
These 60's Olds are real head turners. The few times I've been out for a drive in mine I always get people giving the thumbs up or a holler "nice car". And it's funny when I was gassing up or stopped at a store people would ask "what is it?"
Enjoy it and have fun and I hope you have it for a long time.
Old July 12th, 2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 64Guy
I had went to the shows in the hopes I would find parts for my 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88.
Welcome to reality. You'll NEVER find parts for Oldsmobiles in the swap meet section of a local car show. Oldsmobiles are nowhere near as popular as Fords and Chevys, so vendors bring parts for those cars. It's exactly because you DON'T see 88s, 98s, F-85s, etc. at these shows that vendors don't bother to bring parts, which they probably don't have, anyway. They wouldn't sell them if they did have them and brought them.

To find parts for old Oldsmobiles at swap meets, you need to attend Olds Club of America national meets (like the 2021 meet near Nashville taking place in a few weeks) and the local shows sponsored by the various Olds club chapters. Large general meets like Hershey and Charlotte would like have an Olds parts vendor here and there as well.

Originally Posted by 64Guy
1. Me being from Wisconsin, were these cars more popular in other parts of the country instead of here? Like California, Neveda, Texas, Florida etc.
2. Or were there any major mechanical or drivability issues that made them not last very long on the road? (Wisconsin rust is killer)
No, and no. Geography has nothing to do with it. It's simply, as noted above, relative popularity. During the '60s, Chevy routinely sold over 1 million cars a year while Olds sold several hundred thousand at most. And there were no problems with Olds engines or driveability. Rust kills Chevys just as much as it kills Oldsmobiles. There were just more Chevys around to begin with, so there are greater chances that more Chevys will survive. Plus, Chevy has a thriving aftermarket for nearly any part you can think of while Olds does not. You can probably build a complete 1957 or 1964 or whatever full-size Chevy from nothing but parts made in 2021. Can't do that for any Oldsmobile of any year.
Old July 12th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Oldsdruid

You have a PM.
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:00 PM

Don't you get tired of looking at Chebbies.....Chevelle's, Camaro's, 55-57's and Mustang's ? Different wheels, different colors, otherwise same ol stuff. You have something unique and eye catching. Be proud, young man.
Old July 13th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Full size Oldsmobiles aren't popular to restore in any year. No buyers means that no one bothers to try to sell parts for them.
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:20 AM

You didn't mention what parts you were hoping to find, for the fuel pump a google search first line leads to Fusick, the main parts supplier for our scope of car:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.....asp?dept=1115

These cars were not popular as used cars for reasons common to the GM big car lines at the time. Relatively expensive to operate and keep roadworthy as the miles stack up. Back bumpers fall off when rusty just like early 1980's GM models. Frame rust in critical areas remains a problem even with examples of these cars which look good. It always seemed in our area any car like this needed a heater core by the time it filtered down to my level. By the mid 1970's and the first artificial fuel crisis these cars were mostly doomed in rusty climates. However your car is a great road car, they eat up the road at 75+ mph.

Good luck ~

Last edited by coldwar; July 13th, 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old July 13th, 2021, 06:25 PM

There are a few around. I just sold my 62 super88 last week. Sad to see it go. But I sold my house 8 months ago and house prices keep going up and it was sitting outside in a field for storage so instead of letting it rot sold to someone who could enjoy it.

Old July 13th, 2021, 06:43 PM

I have a 64 ninety eight

I agree that you don't see many around anymore. This page is a good source for knowledge and parts. I'm running a Fusick fuel pump. Good quality.
Old July 13th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Banned

Love your car. Sure looks clean. Love all the blue. As a young kid my grandpa had what I think was a 63 four door. It was blue and white. Same interior. 200??..

Read below...

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Don't you get tired of looking at Chebbies.....Chevelle's, Camaro's, 55-57's and Mustang's ? Different wheels, different colors, otherwise same ol stuff. You have something unique and eye catching. Be proud, young man.
Show those youngsters out there what a real car is. I love it.
By the way. Certain cars carry the four doors and look great doing it. Yours is one of them.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 13th, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old July 13th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Is that Ninety Eight a Luxury Sedan?🙂

The lowered stance with the 56 caps makes that car badass.
Old July 16th, 2021, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Is that Ninety Eight a Luxury Sedan?🙂

The lowered stance with the 56 caps makes that car badass.
Yes it is a luxury sedan. And thank you. I've put a lot of work in to get it almost where iwant it
Old August 24th, 2021, 03:42 PM

Nice car
Old August 26th, 2021, 09:47 AM

Nice car, welcome to this site and the Oldsmobile world. Like many said our cars are just not as popular as Chevrolets. Join the OCA and a local Olds chapter or even a local car club. Do not be afraid to check eBay also. You'd be surprised at the number of things that show up on there. Good Luck with it !