General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best Oldsmobile Code Resources

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2023, 07:12 PM

Best Oldsmobile Code Resources

Hello Everyone,

Newby Here, I have been researching for the best resource in print that can provide decoding of the 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S, Cutlass Supreme, & 442. The Decoding of interior colors, bench seats or bucket seats codes, Material codes, exterior paint & material codes. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Running On Empty

Have you tried a couple searches for 1969 using the term decode? There's many areas which demonstrate codes. Might take you some time but try searching the threads first.
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

Here is a link for a cowl tag decoder. It works rather well - better for some cars (depending on assembly plant). I realize this is not what you're looking for (exactly); but, it might be worth your time if you have a cowl tag you want to decode on your own. If you do have a cowl tag you want to decode, post a picture of the cowl tag and members will decode it for you.

Many of the colors and codes (including RPO) are contained in various pamphlets and booklets from various sources for various years of manufacturer e.g. official dealership sales brochures, etc. Some of these can be found via various sources and many of our members have color charts &/or coding.

EDIT: With the actual URL link this time. Doh!

https://datatagdecoder.com/

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 9th, 2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Running On Empty

List of options codes for the 1969 model year...

Attached Files
File Type: zip
65-72-RPO-Pack.zip (2.38 MB, 6 views)
Old February 9th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

Hopefully this one matches up w/ what I previously sent to you...getting late, eyes tired.
69 Olds A-body Option List
Old February 10th, 2023, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Have you tried a couple searches for 1969 using the term decode? There's many areas which demonstrate codes. Might take you some time but try searching the threads first.
Thank you for responding Vintage Chief. Yes I have tried google and a few others. I been using The Poormans Off Chassis Restoration or TPOCR. I can decipher most of the codes but they seem incomplete with an explanation of what the code means. For example for a 69 cutlass on the cowl tag it show Tr. 934 Gold 6. The interior is gold, the 6 means vinyl interior but no explanation of what 934 is. I did find out that 934 = bucket seats but I had to figure it out on my own from reading the blogs with similar questions and answers. I am still looking for what B means. The B follows 63 which is the paint code for Palamino Gold and looks like this on the cowl tag. 63 B PNT. With that being said 63 through another source 63 means Palamino Gold Metallic. B we believe means brown top. Would there be an Oldsmobile reference book with the codes? Something like this 934 means bucket seats, B means brown vinyl top?

Thanks again.
Old February 10th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Post a photo of your cowl tag so we aren't guessing.
TR 934 is gold vinyl bucket seat interior in the pattern used in the Cutlass S and 442 models. This is from the trim codes published in the Oldsmobile parts book.
63 B PNT lists the lower body color first and the upper body color second. For 1969, the paint codes were numbers. When the upper body color is either a convertible or vinyl top, that was a letter for the 1969 model year. In this case, 63 is Palomino Gold lower body color and B is BLACK vinyl or convertible top. The Sable (brown) top was F for the 1969 model year. This is shown in the Product Information Manual.

Hint: the BEST source for information is factory literature, not some website. The trim code list and paint code list I've posted here are from 1969 factory documents.

Old February 10th, 2023, 07:22 PM

Thank you for your assistance in the matters of coding. It will be of tremendous help to me since I am just getting back to my roots.

Thank you,

Old February 10th, 2023, 07:29 PM

Thank you for your assistance as well. I am looking forward to working with you and everyone associated with Classic Oldsmobile with future questions. I am looking for a few 69 project cars here in the near future. I own 69 convertible now which I will post here soon.

Thank you,