General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Build date question

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Build date question

Anyone have input on the correct date code on a W30 carburetor for a car with a build date of 11-18-69 ? I know that the dates referenced on the build sheet can somtimes be not exact.

Thanks
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by bwichman
Anyone have input on the correct date code on a W30 carburetor for a car with a build date of 11-18-69 ? I know that the dates referenced on the build sheet can somtimes be not exact.

Thanks
The build date on a car is never going to reflect the actual manufacturing date of a carburetor. Tag number will reflect if the carburetor is correct for a given engine application.
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM

That's the same date my w30 was built ill check my Carb date on
monday
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM

q-jets dont have tags, the build date of the carb is on the carb...well, later than 67 anyway
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Randy C.

Ideally, I would look for a carburetor with a date of 2 weeks to 2 months before the car was built. However, you would still be well in the ball park if you found a carburetor with a late July 1969 date on it.

In general, 2 weeks to 2 months on dated parts before the build date on your car is a good guide to use. However, when Corvettes are judged, they will accept dated parts as much as 6 months before the build date of the car. In some cases (batch parts or specialty car parts (W30 would certainly be a specialty car, in my opinion), Corvette judges will even accept dated parts further out than 6 months before the build date of the car.

Just be sure the part is dated before the build date of your car, and not after.

Randy C.
The guy who thought he bought a perfectly dated carburetor for his '71 Corvette, only to find out that the "year" code on the 4-digit julian date on the carb is the last digit, and not the first digit
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Ideally, I would look for a carburetor with a date of 2 weeks to 2 months before the car was built. However, you would still be well in the ball park if you found a carburetor with a late July 1969 date on it.

In general, 2 weeks to 2 months on dated parts before the build date on your car is a good guide to use. However, when Corvettes are judged, they will accept dated parts as much as 6 months before the build date of the car. In some cases (batch parts or specialty car parts (W30 would certainly be a specialty car, in my opinion), Corvette judges will even accept dated parts further out than 6 months before the build date of the car.

Just be sure the part is dated before the build date of your car, and not after.

Randy C.
The guy who thought he bought a perfectly dated carburetor for his '71 Corvette, only to find out that the "year" code on the 4-digit julian date on the carb is the last digit, and not the first digit
Randy, thanks, that's the info. I was looking for. Not really familiar with GM's
date codes, seem to be close to Ford's. I have a original W30 except for the carburetor , it had 1971 unit on it when I got it. I was able to locate an original 1970 carb., but the date code is later than my build date, that was as close as I could find. Since these pieces don't grow on trees I bought it, maybe someday I'll find the correct date code I can trade it for.

Bill
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Randy C.

I believe you made a good move in buying that carb. Having a carb with the correct part number on it, regardless of date, is better than having an incorrect carb or no carb at all. In my opinion, it still adds value to your car.

What's funny is that, in all of this, it makes no difference when your car is being judged at an OCA event. I'm **** enough that I had to have all the right parts with my car (still working on a fan shroud). When the judges look at your car, though, they aren't interested in your carb (it could be a Buick or a Pontiac carb and no one would know the difference), alternator (could be any GM alternator of the era), starter, coil, distributor, and so forth. The judges simply do not have the time (or the expertise at this time) to do all of that, like they do with Corvettes.

In the end, it's up the the owners as to what they want to do with their car. They all turn out pretty good in the end!

Randy C.