General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Exhaust Options '70 CS

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:36 AM

Exhaust Options '70 CS

Not crazy about the look of the down-turned single tailpipe on my 70 CS. Basic 350 2bbl is fine for me, I'm not looking to go full monty and add headers and a dual exhaust, just want something a little sportier out back. Was there a factory option for a single or dual under bumper straight pipe? Or something custom that would look right?

Old September 3rd, 2017, 08:59 AM
Administrator

If you want a simple duel exhaust setup consider going to an muffler shop that does hotrods and such. Not a Midas or other franchise establishment. Consult with some of the local car guys for a reference. We have a guy here in town who is an artist. I had him tuck the exhaust up and add turn downs right behind my bumper.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM

The factory dual exhaust setup would be very easy to install. The dual exhaust setup uses the same parts on the passengers side, so just need to remove the crossover pipe at the manifolds and run the head pipe, muffler, and tail pipe on the drivers side.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

That isn't even the factory tip on that car. ALL small block cars got down-turned tips on the tail pipes that exited under the bumper. Single or dual (NOT "duel", which means shooting at each other ) exhaust, the ends of the tail pipes were the same. The only other option was the 442 dual exhaust with the cutout bumper, and that was only offered on big block cars and the Rallye 350, period. The Supreme SX got the cutout bumper, but that came with a 455. Anything else you do will be non-stock.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:47 PM

If you are in Nassau County there is a shop on Denton Ave. in Garden City Park. He primarily does rears. I will tell you he's not cheap and will most likely kick you out if you try to bargain with him but he does a great job. If you would like, I can get you an address. I think it's called Moon Performance. Tom "Moon" is what he calls himself, people that know him well call him Tom from the Moon. He is a perfectionist and true craftsman.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:32 PM

Back to back dragstrip testing on my 70 Cutlass 4dr, I picked up .4's of a second and 4mph converting to dual exhaust. Car had 350 2bbl., turbo 350 and freeway gears. I was shocked, Good luck, beautiful car by the way.
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you want a simple duel exhaust setup consider going to an muffler shop that does hotrods and such. Not a Midas or other franchise establishment. Consult with some of the local car guys for a reference. We have a guy here in town who is an artist. I had him tuck the exhaust up and add turn downs right behind my bumper.
Beautiful car. Thanks for the info, was considering something similar
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
If you are in Nassau County there is a shop on Denton Ave. in Garden City Park. He primarily does rears. I will tell you he's not cheap and will most likely kick you out if you try to bargain with him but he does a great job. If you would like, I can get you an address. I think it's called Moon Performance. Tom "Moon" is what he calls himself, people that know him well call him Tom from the Moon. He is a perfectionist and true craftsman.
I'm in Suffolk... and don't think I'm ready to plunk down big bucks for this just yet but it's good to know for when it comes time. I'm pretty sure I've heard of them, I'm friends with Gregory from Hagerty and he may have mentioned him as well. Are you going to the Olds meeting Wed?
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
Back to back dragstrip testing on my 70 Cutlass 4dr, I picked up .4's of a second and 4mph converting to dual exhaust. Car had 350 2bbl., turbo 350 and freeway gears. I was shocked, Good luck, beautiful car by the way.
That's impressive! Ok, now something else to consider... Thanks!
Old September 4th, 2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by PM70
. Are you going to the Olds meeting Wed?
Working Wednesday until 6, but I might try to make it. Takes close to an hour to get home from Maspeth (only 12 miles), then not sure how much more time to get to the meeting. I know it's in a different location this month. Keep forgetting to call to see if my dues are in arrears. I thought I paid for 2 years, but I haven't been getting any notices so I'm guessing not. I went to one I think last March. Just never seems to be enough time. After seeing Joe's posting on the location of OCA members I'm guessing the LI & NYC club is bigger than I thought.

Talking it up with Frank about going to the nationals this year. I met him at the Spring Dust off, perfect yellow 72 CS conv't. He may join the local chapter, he's in Suffolk as well.

Last edited by zeeke; September 4th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM
delete

had this guy in Deer Park do work on a previous car. I was happy with his work
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Working Wednesday until 6, but I might try to make it. Takes close to an hour to get home from Maspeth (only 12 miles), then not sure how much more time to get to the meeting. I know it's in a different location this month. Keep forgetting to call to see if my dues are in arrears. I thought I paid for 2 years, but I haven't been getting any notices so I'm guessing not. I went to one I think last March. Just never seems to be enough time. After seeing Joe's posting on the location of OCA members I'm guessing the LI & NYC club is bigger than I thought.

Talking it up with Frank about going to the nationals this year. I met him at the Spring Dust off, perfect yellow 72 CS conv't. He may join the local chapter, he's in Suffolk as well.
I think I remember that car from the dust off. I'm considering going, hopefully the weather will hold and I can bring the car. I'm not a member, so I wanted to take this opportunity to see if it is worth while.