General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Front window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2023, 06:05 PM

Front window adjustment

When I roll the passenger side front window up on my '72 Supreme, once it gets all the way up, it "kicks" up on the front and causes the window to rock back enough to interfere with the door closing properly. This is because the back end of the window overlaps onto the rear quarter window seal. Is there a way to adjust the window to prevent this from happening?
Old August 9th, 2023, 04:49 AM

Yes, there are multiple adjustments on the regulator mounting points. Consult a FSM if you can't figure it out. It's almost impossible to explain, as each adjustment may affect others.
Old August 9th, 2023, 09:34 AM

I’ve got a long thread around here somewhere on adjusting big car windows. The design is different (and older) than your ‘72, but you might give it a read trawling for tips.

My main suggestions are
1) Be prepared for this job to take a lot of time. Getting the door panel off ain’t hard, but you can burn a lot of hours getting windows and adjusting slots just right. Be ready to devote the hours before you begin.
2) Look at the alignment of your rear windows as part of the process. If you’re happy with them, use them as the target to adjust you front window against. If you’re not happy with them, consider taking time to adjust all of them (or just one side) as a project. Adjusting across 2 windows gives you more choices about trade offs than adjusting one, but it costs more in time and decisions.
3) It was helpful to me to put silver sharpie dots on the top edges of my windows precisely 1/4” from the edge, then run a line of blue tape along that to show the overlap of the window top to rubber seals. A tight, consistent interface makes a quieter seal.
4) When both windows are all the way up, there should be about 3/16” between the rear edge of the front glass and the front edge of the rear quarter window. As you’re finding out, getting this gap consistent and exactly parallel (or real close) is hard.
5) You may conclude that your doors are sagging. If that’s true, you’re best off to get the doors right, then do the windows after.

Hope that helps
Chris
Old August 24th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Easy fix...the front stop just needed a minor tweak

Thanks for the advice.