General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

General opinion about car shows

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2021, 05:09 PM

General opinion about car shows

Hey all, just wondering how many of you participate in car shows, and how often?

I like to attend as often as possible, and with this past year being what it was, the opportunity just wasn't there. So this year I'm trying to make it to as many as I can, but I'm asking myself do I really need to? My '72 Supreme has proven capable of holding its own with 7 trophies in the past three years, including at least one win a year since I bought it in 2018, and two out of three "best build " wins this year. Do I really need to keep adding to the collection?

Don't get me wrong, I don't attend just to compete. I enjoy talking to others in the hobby and sharing stories, but winning is pretty cool.

So I'm reaching out to the group to see what you all think and for advice...

Thanks,
Dave

Old April 30th, 2021, 05:27 PM

I used to go to shows with my car 20 or so years ago, but don't bother any more. It just got old after so many years.
Old April 30th, 2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I used to go to shows with my car 20 or so years ago, but don't bother any more. It just got old after so many years.
Same. I do enjoy watching the grown men stomp their feet back to their cars and leave immediately when they don't get awards..
Old April 30th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Wow, they need to find something more constructive to do!
Old April 30th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Banned

I go to car shows to look around. BS with people. I like seeing all different types of cars and people. I could give a rat's *** what you think about my car. I have never owned any car because I thought someone would think it's cool. If you think my whatever car is cool great. If you are cool great. Car shows to me are fun to go to because of the diversity of the cars and people. I love everyone's stories about why this car or that car. That's what a car show is to me.
My two cents.
Old April 30th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

I really have no interest in judged car shows. When I go, I do not have my car judged. I mainly go to see friends and look at other cars. The most fun I've ever had with my car is Hot Rod Power Tour. Get it out and drive the wheels off of it. That's so much more fun than a static show with lawn chairs.
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:02 PM

I don't show or attend many. Too many baby strollers and miserable dogs being dragged about
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:03 PM

Have to agree with Joe, rather be rolling than sitting.
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Have to agree with Joe, rather be rolling than sitting.
Im with Joe on this..I go. Look around. Then hop in the car and drive. Go to a car shows just for an excuse to drive the car somewhere.
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Oldsdruid

Local Rotary Club hosting one in the city park tomorrow. I'm going just to see what shows up and hope there'll be more than the same tired-*** cars I've seen here for 25 years.

This should be interesting. City has an ordinance prohibiting "grooming of vehicles" in this park. Wonder will it be enforced?🤡
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:31 PM

I usually only attend cruise ins. Only show with trophys I attend is our annual OCA Olds show. If I attend a trophy show I usually don't care about winning. Just like Joe I look at the cars and talk to people similar interests.

Wayne
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:31 PM

I like car shows. I haven't won a trophy in 15 years. In the summer of 05, my buddy and I took my Chevy to a car show every weekend for fun. Old thing did well in the unrestored category; and that category is solidly gone 15 years later for 60s/70s cars. It is very rare to see anything but an (over)restored car at a judged show anymore.

Fortunately, the Saturday afternoon car show put on for charity by a local church with a hefty $40 registration fee and donated trophies has given way to weekend evening cruise-ins where, if you want to win something, you buy into the 50/50 that the other half supports the DJ, or a Sunday morning Cars & Coffee where you win just by getting there in the morning after Saturday night. Like Joe says, the Power Tour is insane and everyone should long haul it once. My dad and I got carshowed out by the end, and I'd find a tree to park under at the venue for the day, set the man's chair up and give him a bourbon, then go off for stamping the credentials, and often, we'd just sit and talk to people coming by rather than go see cars.

Another one worth seeing is the Newport Hill Climb in Indiana. I take a car to the side car show just for close parking, and it's a good little show, but the main event is seeing '42 and earlier cars run the hill at full throttle.
Old April 30th, 2021, 06:47 PM

Other than a couple big shows, I stopped going to local shows years ago. I’m tired of seeing the same 50 cars.
Old April 30th, 2021, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Local Rotary Club hosting one in the city park tomorrow. I'm going just to see what shows up and hope there'll be more than the same tired-*** cars I've seen here for 25 years.

This should be interesting. City has an ordinance prohibiting "grooming of vehicles" in this park. Wonder will it be enforced?🤡
I feel like people want out so badly. I would not be surprised if you and many other car shows get way more participation than expected.

Joe I am with you. I am so looking forward to building my wagon my way. I am falling into a 67 that I will keep more stock. My 66 is going to become my driver. They are Buicks but still love. Cousin love. Is that wrong? Eventually I will find the right 68-69-70 Vista Cruiser. For now I plan on a fun summer. My dog can't wait. She is ready.

Old April 30th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Banned

Cinco De Mayo is huge in Denver. Huge. There are going to be so many mad nice cars on the streets this weekend here. So many little clubs are getting together. Not just customs. Denver/Colorado is a kick A place for car people.
Old April 30th, 2021, 08:44 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I am falling into a 67 that I will keep more stock. My 66 is going to become my driver. They are Buicks but still love.
Might these Buicks be wagons? Or even better SportWagons?😺 Those definitely need to go to shows so people will know GM built something besides a 69 Camaro. (2nd most boring car on the planet after Tri-Five Chevys. Not sorry.)

Old April 30th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Might these Buicks be wagons? Or even better SportWagons?😺 Those definitely need to go to shows so people will know GM built something besides a 69 Camaro. (2nd most boring car on the planet after Tri-Five Chevys. Not sorry.)
Absolutely. I looked for years and years for a wagon with the window roof. I owned a few Vista Cruiser's. My last one was my favorite. It was a 72 that was bought as a tow car. Had Winter National stickers from I think six years. No roof rack. Bench seat. Zero options. 455 turbo 400. Never checked the rear. It had early Cragers on it. Sorry long story.

I finally found my 66 Sport Wagon off Craigslist in 2012. Went and looked at it while the guy was at work. HOLY CRAP!!! Had to have it. Never been hit. Had 68k original miles. Rear window hadn't been down in twenty years. Made my offer. Got it.. Stole that wagon. Towed it home. Running in 20 minutes. Basically a one owner car used as a catch all for you name it. Life has been busy. Still is. I finally have a window to work on it. Lost my job forever due to the fact that cubicle living will never happen again.

Then I found a neighbor that has a super clean original 67. I am a 67. Always looking for a 67. Silver with a deep red interior. Power windows. Super clean body etc. Needs to be put back together but now I have to figure a way to buy that too. Sorry for the long rant. All thumb too. Ha ha.

This is my 66. Named her Sue.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 30th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old April 30th, 2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
due to the fact that cubicle living will never happen again.
I wish someone would tell my company that. Been in my cube slaving away, same as always.

And yeah, wagons rule!
Old April 30th, 2021, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fun71
I wish someone would tell my company that. Been in my cube slaving away, same as always.

And yeah, wagons rule!
Crazy how quick my job went poof. Nearing ten years in and no bullshit gone overnight. I handled everything in a building filled with 2500 people. Because of my job I knew all of them. Then poof... Never see 98 percent of them ever again.

Yes wagons do rule. Like a small truck with a permanent shell ha ha. You CANNOT go one single day without multiple people commenting. Not one day. I am looking so forward to giving it some love. Factory 4 barrel 340 car.

So yeah about car shows... Ha ha.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; April 30th, 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old April 30th, 2021, 09:22 PM

I grew up with my parents hauling us around in wagons (66 Olds flat top, then a 70 Ford with woodgrain sides and a 429), my wife had a one when I met her in college, then we bought a new one in ‘06 and still have it. Prolly never get rid of it as I love driving it. The ultimate sleeper.

I’m in the “essential worker” category at a medical device manufacturer so we continued working through it all, just with enhanced safety protocols.

Last edited by Fun71; April 30th, 2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old April 30th, 2021, 09:47 PM
Administrator

I enjoy car shows, cruise ins, and cruise nights. Probably 3 a month for the 8 months of good weather here to enjoy the cars and like minded people. I do have a shelf full of trophies and a number of plaques on the wall in my garage for the Cutlass. I also gave away a bunch of trophies and assorted plaques when I sold the Plymouth to its new owner. Lately I just write DNJ (do not judge) on my registration card. People who go to shows just for a trophy will usually leave disappointed.
Old April 30th, 2021, 11:07 PM

Love cars shows. When not hampered by covid restrictions, I usually go to ten a year. Small towns are my favorite, with mom & pop diners. Homecoming is my don't miss car show, and I go to two to four shows at the Gilmore Car Museum in S.W. Michigan every year.
Old May 1st, 2021, 05:18 AM

Born in the late 50's in Michigan, growing up in the 60's and 70's, I am thankful I got to witness the magical beauty and muscle coming out of Detroit and Lansing during that era. I've always loved those 60's and 70's cars, just like I think most of us love the music we grew up with. I have always enjoyed going to car shows, even before owning a classic, just to reminisce about the cars, seeing them restored to their former glory, and talking with the owners.

I'm a relative "newbie" to the car show scene as an owner, having only owned my '67 4-4-2 since November 2019. Despite all the issues last summer, we were fortunate to have several cruise-ins and a handful of local shows. I entered my car in 4 local shows and enjoyed everyone of them immensely. Maybe it was just that it was all new to me, being on the "owner" side of the equation for the first time, but it sure was fun to have so many folks take an interest in the car and want to talk about it. At the very last show I entered last fall, a teenager came up to me in a wheelchair and told me '67 4-4-2's were his favorite muscle car, and that he had voted for my car in the People's Choice portion of the show. He then proceeded to tell me more production stats and information about my car than I even knew. After talking with this young man for about an hour about my car, he took me over to meet his parents and to see their '65 Chevelle convertible. While I was talking with his parents who were wonderful people, I asked if it would be ok when the show was over for me to take their son for a short ride in my car. You should have seen the kid's face light up when I asked, and his parents were more than happy to oblige. So when the show was over we climbed in my car and we followed his parents about 10-miles towards their home, I never mentioned it was in the opposite direction of mine. It was a fairly rural area, so at one stop sign I even got to light 'em up for him a little. For those few minutes, I think that young man was in car heaven. For me, the experience with the young enthusiast was priceless!
Old May 1st, 2021, 05:29 AM

Car shows can be nice. I enjoy a couple big shows every summer. They are held at the "State Fair grounds". One is 1964 & earlier and attracts about 12,000 cars (street rods, restored and early performance cars).
The other show attracts about 7,000 cars and can be any year. Muscle cars, "rat rods", street rods, and restored cars. The portable chassis dyno is there and people pay to run their ride on it. Usually, some horsepower guessing as they strap it down to the dyno. You'll see anything from a "blown" (supercharged) '61 Valiant on methanol to '68 W-31.
Lots of variety so you aren't stuck seeing every color Camaro, Chevelle and "Tri 5" Chebby. Its nice to see AMC's, MoPars, FoMoCo's, Hudson's, HenryJ's, Crosely's, *****'s, Buick's, Pontiac's Cadillac's, and many Oldsmobile's at both shows.
The smaller local shows are 75% Camaro/Chevelle people.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; May 1st, 2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:29 AM

I'm a 20+ year veteran of car shows as a owner and really enjoy the meeting of old friends and making new ones I really like the old stuff and unique stuff. I can't go to a show within in 100 miles of my house and not get asked where is the Old's if I'm showing another car and I don't need any more trophy or plaques, fun at the time but they become just dusters after a while and you can't remember where you got them. So put me in the column of I go and enjoy them..... Tedd
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:34 AM
Bfg

I go mainly to check out the young chicks
Old May 1st, 2021, 08:58 AM
Banned

Honestly I miss the old days of cruising. Bumper to bumper. Cars as deep as you could see.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:06 AM

I go to the monthly Cars and Coffee in my Olds or my truck. I've never been in a competition. It would be cool to go on Power Tour someday.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bfg
I go mainly to check out the young chicks
Around here, the average age of car show attendees is somewhere between 65 and dead.

Though, maybe that IS young for you.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I enjoy going to car shows but I have a rule. If it ain't fun I am not going. If it it 100° I am not going to be there. I have won my share of plaques and trophies but I go for the fun of meeting people and seeing other cars. I went to my first show last Sunday since November 2019. There were lots of cars there and I didn't haul home another plaque. That was okay. Some guys get really serious about those plaques and trophies. I have one of those carhop trays with the artificial burger, fries and root beer float and people love the thing. They take as many pictures of the tray as they do the car. It makes people smile and I find that very satisfying. One other thing and Tedd probably experiences this. Women really like my car.
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Around here, the average age of car show attendees is somewhere between 65 and dead.
I wasn’t gonna go there, but since you brought it up...

That’s one big reason why I stopped going to shows 20 years ago - everyone was way older than I am and it was like visiting grandpa at the retirement home.

Sorry if that offended anyone.
Old May 1st, 2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
AHHHHHH, the "live fast (before they die) and drive slow" crowd.
Old May 1st, 2021, 10:08 AM

I do local cars and coffee meetups and I like attending car shows but hate entering my cars in them. I had a high level restored car a few years ago (non-Olds) and I entered a couple shows because I was selling it - sat in the hot Texas sun for 6 hours, got some cheap award plaques but no luck selling!
Old May 1st, 2021, 10:16 AM

Car shows can be useful and fun, in moderate amounts. Ages vary around here from 30's to nursing home applicants. People can be "classic car owners" (I bought it that way) to knuckle dragging Chebby guys to appreciative lookers. Trophies are ok for a while. I have a bunch of "dust collectors" above the garage from drag racing.
I found my car painter at a car show, after years of searching for one. He does excellent work and he is reasonable. He did my Toronado (as my test). He is working on my "Drag car" now ,and he'll get my Starfire when its ready.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; May 1st, 2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: correction
Old May 1st, 2021, 10:29 AM
Bfg

My vision ain’t that good anymore so what appears to be some young chicks could be definitely some old hens.
Old May 1st, 2021, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I enjoy going to car shows but I have a rule. If it ain't fun I am not going. If it it 100° I am not going to be there. I have won my share of plaques and trophies but I go for the fun of meeting people and seeing other cars. I went to my first show last Sunday since November 2019. There were lots of cars there and I didn't haul home another plaque. That was okay. Some guys get really serious about those plaques and trophies. I have one of those carhop trays with the artificial burger, fries and root beer float and people love the thing. They take as many pictures of the tray as they do the car. It makes people smile and I find that very satisfying. One other thing and Tedd probably experiences this. Women really like my car.
I'm going to be crude, but a lot of women are turned off by "dick extension" cars of huge power, huge size, and/or harsh colors. The mid 50s Olds's are beautiful in a calm, non-macho way and women may find them less grating than a blood-red jacked up 69 muscle car.

Age comments et al
I've been going to car shows for 30 years, and I have noticed a few things. The Boomers, which, back then were senior career men, are now going to nursing homes, and that is a sad thing. I worry about my old man driving his corvette to his shows, but he enjoys it, is still a pretty good driver, and goes back roads and knows the routes. I'm not going to tell him to stop, but I hope he realizes when it is no longer prudent to do so on his own, which I figure will be 10-15 years from now, he's 76 now.

On the other hand, the "cheese-rock" guys that came of age in the 80s, driving the gen 3 camaros, listening to Stix and Poison and other such cheese were in their 30s back then and were usually REALLY obnoxious at shows, like those Mustang idiots you see today. These guys have benefited from 25 years of maturity, and now are pretty decent dudes. The "young idiot" phase has moved on to cars I don't really care about, so I don't see it at shows.

I need to re-tire the H/O, so I may take it to a Cars and Coffee tomorrow before I sit it on borrowed wheels for a time for new tires. People seemed pretty respectful of cars when I took my Chevy there last year, so it should be ok.
Old May 1st, 2021, 11:50 AM

All good replies and good conversations, but my point is, at what point do you say "awards are nice, but do I need another one"?
Old May 1st, 2021, 01:11 PM

Well I never went to any car shows for awards. For that matter, I didn’t get the car so I could take it to car shows. Time just progressed to the point that the daily driver car I had all along became a classic.
Old May 1st, 2021, 01:34 PM
Banned

Yup. Go to have fun. Chat with the people. Check out the crowd. Women are always pretty. That is not confined by age. Awards? Not so much. I have gotten rid of hundreds of trophies from bmx baseball etc plaques over time. Probably should have kept some but oh well.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 1st, 2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 1st, 2021, 01:57 PM

Awards are so subjective that they lost their importance so I put no importance to them. I probably have 50 or so awards/ plaques but only 5 or 6 mean anything special to me, and they are all serious judged events or best of show public picked. Like what Glenn said Chicks like 50's convertibles and Miatas too. Now if only I can meet one with a few cars and the money to support them.... Tedd

Quick Reply: General opinion about car shows