General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

GPS.what's a car form with out talking about some gps?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Just A BaBy {:

GPS.what's a car form with out talking about some gps?

would love to know is any 1 using Insignia NS-CNV10? if not what do you have?
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Rand McNally and DeLorme atlases. If you know how to read a map you don't need GPS.

Besides, Big Brother can't track a road atlas.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM

My GPS is that big righthand dash compartment with those huge sheets of paper with lines all over them that never seem to refold correctly...
Of course i also have that CPU in my brain that has to process all those lines and the error-correction system has to determine that creases and tears are not roads...

All kidding aside, this is what I use. Often I will make photocopies of the exact areas i am going and highlight my route. I am studying a Maine map for a vacation next month.
Paper maps are more accurate and a lot more can be seen then on a sun-washed 3" screen, providing the batteries do not die the GPS gets you lost... Also, I trust my gut instict more than a gadget that was programmed years ago. Cheaper, too!

Paper maps - as historical as our old cars...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; May 6th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Amen. Maps are all anyone needs! Why do people fall for this techno-crap?
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM

i still use maps but it sure would be easier to just put the address in and let it tell me where to go. just don't make it mad! it may really tell you where to go

i want one but just don't want to spend the money. a map is alot cheaper.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Maps are the best bet. The GPS can give bad directions.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:43 AM
ya'll come back now....

i have a tomtom but i much perfer just picking up my phone and calling my dad or looking at a map there has been pently of time when that dang thing has gotten me lost...
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Rand McNally and DeLorme atlases. If you know how to read a map you don't need GPS.

Besides, Big Brother can't track a road atlas.
X2 squared to the tenth power Just keep in mind the cell phone on your hip can be tracked, and I recently learned, hacked even when it is turned off. careful what you say when the battery is in. Funny thing is I was wondering about that like two days before I heard the news report on it. May be I'm not so paranoid after all
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Geezer

Looks like I'll be preaching to the choir, but I wouldn't give you a bucket of spit for a GPS system. The other half gave me one for Christmas three years ago and it has never been put in any vehicle. More damn trouble than simply looking at a map and very likely prone to being off in one respect or another. Like online map sites for longer trip planning a GPS will typically route you via Interstates and not necessarily the most direct and shortest route. We do still have highways other than the Interstates and what can be seen along the way is much more interesting than the next exit ramp and overpass.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 6th, 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Who needs a stinkin' map, real men don't stop and ask for directions either.
I use the sun's position and the north star, dead reckoning and the flight paths of the wing-ed birds when it's cloudy .
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
would love to know is any 1 using Insignia NS-CNV10? if not what do you have?
WOW! i figured you would have someone that liked them. i would like to know also.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Wink GPS

I have had people from the big cities Oh I can find you I have a GPS I live out in the sticks with a rual mail box I always tell them to call when the get to the post office 10 miles away & sure enough I get a call and direct them in
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by ozoneblue
I have had people from the big cities Oh I can find you I have a GPS I live out in the sticks with a rual mail box I always tell them to call when the get to the post office 10 miles away & sure enough I get a call and direct them in
Sure sounds familiar, we have the same issue. We live nine miles from the nearest convenience store and even the county's 911 maps didn't show our location until they plugged in specific road data obtained from us, and we actually live on a state maintained farm road. Interestingly, Rand-McNally maps and road atlases show the road quite clearly. The individual addresses are actually on all mail boxes, which are supplied by the state. Sad when people have to have directions to something clearly on a map and with addresses clearly displayed on mail boxes in front of individually owned property. There have been times I have been temped to tell people go so many miles from the big Oak tree and turn left at the third black and white cow.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I used to tell them "Turn left at the pasture with the Black Angus cows in it." But one day the guy moved his cows to another pasture and we had people scattered all over the place.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM

My wife and her girl friends always go by these type directions "left at the green house with the white trim, the one with the pretty roses, Right at the cut little white house with the brick flower garden. then right again at the gray farm house with the old tracker made up to be a flower center piece" She never gets lost with these directions. give her street names and tell her to turn north or south and she's lost before she gets out of our driveway
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM

i'm 7 miles out and use one room school houses and grain bins for directions.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I'm in the process of putting a GM factory one in my Alero. I have to send it out to clear the VIN.

It's just cool to have. My Friday nights when I was a kid was looking at the atlas, and seeing how to drive to Cali
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
I'm in the process of putting a GM factory one in my Alero. I have to send it out to clear the VIN.

It's just cool to have. My Friday nights when I was a kid was looking at the atlas, and seeing how to drive to Cali
straight out 80