General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HELP 69 Delta 88 Royale Rear Windshield

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:19 AM

HELP 69 Delta 88 Royale Rear Windshield

I have a 69 Delta 88 Royale that I took the vinyl top off and had painted, I can not find the rear windshield molding so now my rear windshield is leaking. Is there a work around or do anyone know where I can get a molding from?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:27 AM

The molding doesn't seal your window. The window seal does. It has failed and needs to be resealed. Go to a glass place and have them repair it. The molding covers the black seal and unfinished areas.
Mike
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:41 AM

Thanks Mike77, when I brought it to a glass shop here in town I was told to find the molding, chrome trim, in order to have it sealed. I also went to a custom repair shop and was told the same thing.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:14 AM
Olds Fever

Regardless what your repair people are telling you, on your 69 the mldgs have nothing to do with sealing the back glass if done correctly... The mldgs are held in place by clips not the sealant, and if the mldgs are put on while there is an excessive amount of wet sealant they will have a tendency to be stuck to the glass/window frame and not easily removed from the clips in the future if necessary...
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:47 AM
Administrator

You need to find a glass shop that knows how to seal the rear window. As said above the chrome is a trim piece not a sealing surface. Place a parts wanted classified ad, hopefully a member may have a set to sell.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Regardless what your repair people are telling you, on your 69 the mldgs have nothing to do with sealing the back glass if done correctly... The mldgs are held in place by clips not the sealant, and if the mldgs are put on while there is an excessive amount of wet sealant they will have a tendency to be stuck to the glass/window frame and not easily removed from the clips in the future if necessary...
^^^^ This
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator

There should not be any sealant oozing around the window as the seal is a butyl strip type seal thats laid between the glass and the body, its not a tube type used on newer cars.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You need to find a glass shop that knows how to seal the rear window.
^^^THIS. Run, don't walk, away from the shop that claims you need the molding to make a seal.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There should not be any sealant oozing around the window as the seal is a butyl strip type seal thats laid between the glass and the body, its not a tube type used on newer cars.
You are correct... Doesn't mean his repair shop will use butyl, and as I stated, "sealing the back glass if done correctly"... A lot of these shop don't even use butyl anymore...
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:46 PM
Administrator

You are correct... Doesn't mean his repair shop will use butyl, and as I stated, "sealing the back glass if done correctly"... A lot of these shop don't even use butyl anymore...
It's still readily available most anywhere. Like I said earlier, he needs a shop that does it correctly.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Oldsdruid

Keep in mind Royales had a special rear window treatment and the plastic "plug" frame may in fact be needed to get an effective seal.