General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Honest opinions about how to sell my car..

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
car guy

Honest opinions about how to sell my car..

OK I have decided I have to sell (see my build thread) but I have a delima. There are a few small issues I need to address to get it ready mainly new top and carpet will make it close to perfect. I was just outside making a list of what to order and I just can't get past the paint. I know everyone that sees pics of my car thinks it looks great but the paint really is bad. Its the original paint and is cracked and crazed all over from light to heavy. I just keep thinking to get top dollar back out I need to paint it. There will be almost no body work just my time and materials.

If someone is able to see pics of the car in bare metal am I better off being able to find someone that will want a nice slick new paint or original paint that not so good. I know if I can't sell it for a while I will be much happier with slick paint myself.
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Richard, IMO you will get more out of it with a top flight paint job. The origional paint would be worth more on the car if you left a "survivor". However taking it the restomod route that you went I think those buyers are probably looking more for that deep paint.
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Ben

I hate to say it but i agree. You've gone to all the best details on the chassis and buid- to get the $$ you are looking for- its going to come from a buyer who wants a turn key 100% finished car... You will be targeting a very different crowd than the guys who would appreciate that its still the original paint.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Tell me it isn't sooooo!!!!! That is one of my all time favorite cars on this site.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Captain of my ship

Sorry to see that you need to sell your car. Most of us have seen your build on this car and know the detail and quality job that you put into it. That being said I would have to agree simply because it has been changed from original. I have no doubts though that it is much improved from when you started and that person you are trying to attract would be looking for a complete car , fresh paint and all. I would keep it in that color. You have a lot of pics from the build and on any ad could post a link where they could see all the work that went into it. Congrats on the new addition , may she bring you more joy and pride than your sacrifice.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I'll agree,to get top dollar it would need fresh paint to go along with all the incredible work performed on this restomod.
But the scary part about putting more $$$ into the car,with our economy the way it is,top dollar at todays standards might be lower than standards of a few years ago. Your offers may not be close to your asking price.

Congrats on expecting your 2nd little bundle of joy!
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:18 AM

X5 or so... I agree with all the other guys, but also with w-30dreamin concern about the economy. If you can do the work yourself without putting a lot more money into it I'd say do it for sure. But if your paying someone else to put a show quality paint job on it that may be a risky investment. That's the one consideration I'd look real hard at before making the leap. John
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
car guy

Here is my thinking. I am trying to look at in the prospective of a potential buyer with this kind of money to spend and not how I personaly would buy a car beacuse I could not afford to buy it all in one lump sum done.

I would do everything except I might have one of the experienced painters at work spray it. I know I am never going to get all my money back but I never built the car to make money off of. I tried but not hard at all about 3 months ago to sell it as is and with the ratty top and carpet that no longer fits because the center hump is taller for the 5 speed it was going to be easy to get mid 20's. based on a couple serious offers I had for it. If I can put another 1500.00 (plus my labor) in it for top carpet dynamat ect and get low 30's I would be OK with that but if I spend another $2500.00 in quality materials document the perfect bare metal body and paint it slick is that going to bring a different buyer to the table that might pay upper 30's or a little more
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Getting There

Richard I also agree with W-30 it depends on how much of a return on the paint investment... I agree with new paint along with all the work that has gone into the car but are you going to ask more for it with new paint or take the hit just to sell?
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Now considering I don't know the area or the body shop you plan to get to do the work.

Is it really realistic to think you can get Quality bodywork and Paint for $2500 if you are thinking you are also going to be stripping it to bare metal??

I couldn't get a half assed paint job for that from good friends of mine that own body shops up here. FOr a decent paint job I would be looking closer to $5000 and for a great on $8k-10k
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
car guy

I will be doing all the work other than spraying the final color ( I might even get brave and shoot it too) My only expence will be time and materials which I can buy wholesale so I think $ out of pocket 2500-3000 is realistic.
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Correct me if I am wrong Richard, but I believe your intent is to strip the car yourself down to metal, do all of the prep work, including primer and sanding and then have it sprayed. all other work, carpet, top, etc is by yourself as well. Because you have the talent then I say go for it and get your top dollar. You need to be done by summer thats when the convert will attract the most attention. Good luck
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Yep! If your doing most of the work yourself and can get a nice paint job for $2500 I think you should do it too! John
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
car guy

Well I the last few days I have gone from sell it as is to, add top and carpet, to top carpet and paint. When my mind started thinking about while its stripped to metal it would not be much more work to have my rear wheels widened and mini tub it i had to slap myself. Now I am back to not touching it and selling as is.

Its going to up for sale for the next 30 days or so. If she does not go be on the lookout for the thread "last pic of it together for a while 2.0"
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
car guy

Well guys and girls I pulled the trigger last night. Its officially for sale as is. Click the link below to see. Wish me luck.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Good luck Richard, sure is a sweet car
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:12 PM

If I only had the spare $, I'd be all over that one.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by wjustinmartin
If I only had the spare $, I'd be all over that one.
all it takes is good credit...Hagerty does classic car loans
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Registered Luser

Richard, I saw your car on e-bay a little while ago and thought to myself, "can't get any better than this as far as the expaination-description of the car, pics during and after, and your honesty! We all know here the car is worth the $ your asking, the biggest thing is convincing someone who doesn't know what you've done it's worth it! If only there was a way they could see your thread...."
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Richard, you need to met Rob and I at Keller's on NWHwy before you sell it.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by hamm36
Richard, you need to met Rob and I at Keller's on NWHwy before you sell it.
Kellers is usually my Sat night hangout in good weather.
We go at least a couple times a month spring - fall.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Registered Luser

By the way Richard, I think the car is better off with the original paint! People will put a better value to it if they can see there are no "sins" being hidden! Of course, it would cost you to strip and repaint and R & I everything! Then the cost of the car increases.....but of course, I'm looking at it from a bodymans perspective....too bad we don't live near each other! You could do the suspension and mods on my vista, and I could do the body and paint on your cutlass.....

Last edited by ent72olds; March 11th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Richard, I saw your car on e-bay a little while ago and thought to myself, "can't get any better than this as far as the expaination-description of the car, pics during and after, and your honesty! We all know here the car is worth the $ your asking, the biggest thing is convincing someone who doesn't know what you've done it's worth it! If only there was a way they could see your thread...."
Thanks I'm not counting it gone yet. The market is stable but soft and someone is going to have to give a pretty close offer before its gone. If not its not enough to get me going on the house so there is no use in seeing it go.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
By the way Richard, I think the car is better off with the original paint! People will put a better value to it if they can see there are no "sins" being hidden! Of course, it would cost you to strip and repaint and R & I everything! Then the cost of the car increases.....
If it gets painted it will be a very nice paint job and I will finish out the rest of the details perfecting it. At that point it will still be for sale but looking for a different kind of buyer. The price goes up and I will advertise in the Dupont Regitry Robb Report Ect. Lots of sports and music money goes shopping there but most don't buy unfinished cars. I would like to keep everything but there is more fun for me in thinking out a project and building it so it will have to go to start the next one.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by gearheads78
If it gets painted it will be a very nice paint job and I will finish out the rest of the details perfecting it. At that point it will still be for sale but looking for a different kind of buyer. The price goes up and I will advertise in the Dupont Regitry Robb Report Ect. Lots of sports and music money goes shopping there but most don't buy unfinished cars. I would like to keep everything but there is more fun for me in thinking out a project and building it so it will have to go to start the next one.
I hear ya!