General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Journey with Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Journey with Oldsmobile

How do you get featured in "JWO"? Anyone know? As some of you know my best friend has a near identical car to mine and we thought it might make an interesting article? Anyone?
Thanks,
Jon
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Randy C.

First, and foremost, you must be a member of the Oldsmobile Club of America. That's easy to do if you haven't already done it.

Second, it seems like JWO frequently asks for stories and articles. When you receive your membership issues of JWO, there will be indicators of people you need to contact about a story. Just get a hold of them with your proposal and you will be on your way.

Check out the OCA website at www.oldsclub.org. One year memberships start at $30 and two year memberships start at $55.

Cars are also featured at www.wildaboutcars.com. You can join there and it is free. wildaboutcars also has an incredible amount of info available for a wide range of Oldsmobiles that can be downloaded freely for your personal use. You can join there and it is free.

Randy C.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Contact JWO editor Brad Bishop and let him know what you have. He's always interested in getting OCA members' stories and articles. jwo@torchcreative.com
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cutlass Lover

Speaking of JWO.... I haven't received a magazine in a couple months.
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Is your membership current? The expiration is printed on the mailing label of each issue. (I'm guessing you've already checked this, but one has to ask!)
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Journey with Oldsmobile

How do you get featured in "JWO"?
By the way, the magazine is correctly called "Journey with Olds," not Journey with Oldsmobile. Tell Brad Bishop you want him to put your car in Journey with Oldsmobile, and he'll laugh in your face!!
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM

First wright a good article that will interest a wide spectrum of readers, it seems they (Journey with Olds) are always looking for a story with human interest twist, add quality photos and I bet you won't have a problem. My wife did it and she is no gear head but she does have a degree in technical writing........Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 29th, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
First wright a good article
Write.

Wright are the guys who flew the airplane.

(After all, you did do an edit to correct "misspelled word," although you "mispelled" the word misspelled. Might as well correct them all!)
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Write.

(After all, you did do an edit to correct "misspelled word," although you "mispelled" the word misspelled. Might as well correct them all!)
Old age and ignorance suck...Tedd
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Old age and ignorance suck.
They do, but I'd say in your case it's neither. Just typing quickly and posting. After all, this site isn't anyone's doctoral dissertation, although I go out of my way to annoy people as much people.

Some typos are downright funny. You fixed it quickly, but not before CO sent out a notice of a new post in this thread, and I really liked the way you had it before in asking people to post "phonographs" instead of photographs. I laughed out loud trying to imagine that!
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Write.

Any other errors need to be pointed out in this thread?

Ive met Brad and had my car in JWO, I seriously doubt he would laugh at anyones mistake.
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM

although I go out of my way to annoy people as much people.
Dont go after others when you are just as guilty.
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Any other errors need to be pointed out in this thread?

Ive met Brad and had my car in JWO, I seriously doubt he would laugh at anyones mistake.
It was a JOKE, thimblebrain. I can see you're back with your usual lack-of-sense-of-humor. You must be a thrill and a half at parties.
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM

It was a JOKE, thimblebrain. I can see you're back with your usual lack-of-sense-of-humor. You must be a thrill and a half at parties.

So far you have corrected two posters for their ignorance. That basically what you have deemed them, ignorant, by pointing out their errors. I dont think anyone likes having some know it all correct them on the net. Even if they are "joking".

I just noticed you have "In defense of English" under your handle. Im sure you are joking every time you correct someone.

Last edited by TK-65; March 29th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
How do you get featured in "JWO"? Anyone know? As some of you know my best friend has a near identical car to mine and we thought it might make an interesting article? Anyone?
Thanks,
Jon
Jon,

If you are an OCA member, please send the story to me at: jwo@torchcreative.com

Like many of the good folks here have mentioned, I am always looking for articles for publication. Sometimes it takes a few months to get it in JWO, but I always like to have a good inventory of stories to choose from.

Hope to see your story soon!

BTW, that goes for anyone else here, if you would like your car/story in JWO, please send it in!
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Old age and ignorance suck...Tedd

Tedd,

Just remember that old age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
So far you have corrected two posters for their ignorance. That basically what you have deemed them, ignorant, by pointing out their errors. I dont think anyone likes having some know it all correct them on the net. Even if they are "joking".

I just noticed you have "In defense of English" under your handle. Im sure you are joking every time you correct someone.
Jasen

Don't waste your time with the site police,it will turn into a never ending debate.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Speaking of JWO.... I haven't received a magazine in a couple months.
A member of our chapter mentioned to me at our last meeting that he has not been getting his JWO. I know for a fact his OCA dues are current. I'm going to contact the OCA Membership Director and see if I can get that straightened out.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by starfire
A member of our chapter mentioned to me at our last meeting that he has not been getting his JWO. I know for a fact his OCA dues are current. I'm going to contact the OCA Membership Director and see if I can get that straightened out.
The problem is probably with whomever is doing the fulfillment. I noticed a couple of years ago if you don't elect "first class" mail your magazine is always going to be behind in delivery and may even be beat all to heck when you get it.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by brad442
Jon,

Like many of the good folks here have mentioned, I am always looking for articles for publication. Sometimes it takes a few months to get it in JWO, but I always like to have a good inventory of stories to choose from.

BTW, that goes for anyone else here, if you would like your car/story in JWO, please send it in!

While we're at it you deserve a pat on the back and at least one "Ata boy" for in my opinion putting out one of the best club publications around, and I get several that many consider outstanding.

Journey with Olds is far from being the just the same old car shows and pictures found in other club publications month after month.
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
The problem is probably with whomever is doing the fulfillment. I noticed a couple of years ago if you don't elect "first class" mail your magazine is always going to be behind in delivery and may even be beat all to heck when you get it.

I get mine 3rd class and it always arrives on time and in good condition. This person isn't getting them late, he's not been getting them at all for the past few months.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by starfire
I get mine 3rd class and it always arrives on time and in good condition.
One should never select anything but 3rd class for OCA membership dues. The 1st class/3rd class thing only affects how the magazines are delivered by the shipper to the post office, not how they're handled by the post office once the PO receives them or how quickly they get to you through the mail system.

Actually, the OCA membership form is way outdated on this, anyway, as the term "3rd class" hasn't been used by the USPS in more than a decade. It's now 1st class or "standard mail."

Anything mailed "3rd class" or standard mail requires pre-sorting by the sender before delivery to the post office. That's why the PO gives a lower postage rate to the shipper. But it means MORE WORK for the shipper. I'm surprised the OCA continues to go with the 1st class/3rd class distinction. That might have mattered in the 1970s and '80s, but it doesn't now. They ought to have just one membership rate for everyone like every other club in the universe.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....I get mine 3rd class and it always arrives on time and in good condition. This person isn't getting them late, he's not been getting them at all for the past few months.

Well I just joined in October or November, and have received a couple magazines. My dues should be current..... maybe they're just running behind, or the post office people decided to read them, lol! You never know.
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM

I used to get JWO 3rd class, but I recieved it a week later than my buddy, who lives two houses away on my street.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Geezer

One should never select anything but 3rd class for OCA membership dues. The 1st class/3rd class thing only affects how the magazines are delivered by the shipper to the post office, not how they're handled by the post office once the PO receives them or how quickly they get to you through the mail system.

Actually, the OCA membership form is way outdated on this, anyway, as the term "3rd class" hasn't been used by the USPS in more than a decade. It's now 1st class or "standard mail."

Anything mailed "3rd class" or standard mail requires pre-sorting by the sender before delivery to the post office. That's why the PO gives a lower postage rate to the shipper. But it means MORE WORK for the shipper. I'm surprised the OCA continues to go with the 1st class/3rd class distinction. That might have mattered in the 1970s and '80s, but it doesn't now. They ought to have just one membership rate for everyone like every other club in the universe.

Interesting perception, but totally wrong!

Postage on the First Class option is printed on the "jacket" as "Presorted 1st Class Mail, Postage Paid along with the permit #.

Standard or 3rd class is labeled as "Presorted STD U.S. Postage Paid, along with the permit #.

In either case the postage paid covers from the time placed into the hands of the Post office for delivery to the intended recipient by whomever is doing the fulfillment for the publisher. Has nothing to do with how the publisher got the publication to the fulfillment company handling the presort and delivery to the Post Office.

Now I just received my April magazine today so let's hear from someone who gets theirs via 3rd class for a comparison.

Last edited by Texascarnut; March 30th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM

So you would like me to type up a story and include some pictures and email it all to you?

Originally Posted by brad442
Jon,