General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking For Tach Ideas

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2017, 04:50 PM

Looking For Tach Ideas

Trying decide what tach to buy. My first instinct is to mount something flush in the dash where the factory tach/clock would have been. Then another part of me says strap it on the column where it's right in front of my nose. Let me know what set up you have and what you like and dislike about yours.. Pics would be appreciated too.

Will be installed in a 70 442
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:25 PM

the gauges and tach on my nova are bolted to the cowl panel,right in front of me on the outside
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Back in the day I put a tach in the spot where my clock blank was. It fit perfectly and is easy on a 72 since the dash plate comes off the front. It looked great. My 69 went on the column since the dash access isn’t as easy.
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Mine is mounted next to my 3 gauge cluster under the dash by my right knee.
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Back in the day I put a tach in the spot where my clock blank was. It fit perfectly and is easy on a 72 since the dash plate comes off the front.
Same here. I have a Sun Super Tach II but any standard 3 3/8 inch tach will fit in the opening almost perfectly.
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:36 PM

Stewart Warner tach bought from Summit Racing.....I believe I carved a hole in a factory blockoff/blank that fills in the tach/clock hole on the right side when nothing optional was ordered. Then slipped/jammed the tack into the hole (clear lens on the blockoff/blank was removed first).

May have had to slightly shorten the rectangular mount tab in the chrome/woodgrain bezel.....the tab under the tach area (there's another tab on the other side) that gets the small screw from the underside. Reason being is the chrome/woodgrain bezel had slight interference with the chrome rim of the tack when it was angled to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0069.JPG (572.5 KB, 74 views)
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:46 PM

I know it wasn't mentioned yet, but for some reason a hood tach does not gel with the body lines of a 442. Buicks and Pontiacs seem to have the right lines for a hood tach. Good luck
Attached Images
442 hood tach.jpg (169.2 KB, 43 views)
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Just did this set up on a w30.
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:45 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Fun71
Same here. I have a Sun Super Tach II but any standard 3 3/8 inch tach will fit in the opening almost perfectly.

ive got the same, its fine im not going to change it but

pro looks good fits nice w out much work

con almost always behind a spoke on a the 4 spoke sport wheel, may work better w a standard 2 spoke wheel or a 3 spoke wheel.
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:45 PM

tach location

In dash to the right of speedo on 70-72
Attached Images
sport wheel & gauges.jpg (48.6 KB, 67 views)
Old October 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM

I have one of the tach/clock combos in the dash of my 70. I like the stock appearance and the fact that the clock keeps perfect time. The only issue I have is that I can’t see the needle between 1500-3500 RPMs very well without moving my head to look. The gauge trim sticks out just enough that it blocks that portion for me. I sometimes think about swapping positions with the speedometer... you can kind of see what I mean from the picture.
Attached Images
Old October 20th, 2017, 07:49 PM

http://www.gmsports.com/content/1968...***-tachometer

i have one of these for a 70-72...really decent...cheap..and new...
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:33 AM

I like the tach up front on the column. I don’t trust the factory tach. I know you can calibrate them but there’s a lot of money in a nice build. Like the old school Sun Tach. Al
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:37 AM

Btw while you have your dash apart treat yourself to some new 194 bulbs. They are cheap and it’s nice to have brightly lighten gauges. The pic above was taken after I replaced all of my bulbs. Al
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:37 AM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

Gm Motorsports $160 eBay installed in old clock area.
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:09 AM

Wow, lots of good ideas here. I'm leaning towards installing in blank dash slot but I also like the idea of having it on the column. I guess I'll order one from Summit and play around with the location. Thanks for the input guys.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
ive got the same, its fine im not going to change it but

pro looks good fits nice w out much work

con almost always behind the spoke of the 4 spoke sport wheel, may work better w a standard 2 spoke wheel or a 3 spoke wheel.

EDIT its not behind a spoke but behind the rim of the steering wheel all the time Im gonna change my vote to a smaller tach on the column....
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:45 PM

I had to scrap my tilt steering install to keep my tach on the steering column. There is not enough room between the dash and the tach for a tilt and the install into the dash on a 69 has to be done from the back.
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:37 PM

Check out the equipment at Speedhut.com.

I replaced all 3 gauges in my 68 Cutlass. I had a bunch of gauges hanging from the dash that I was able to remove. My car had idiot lights. I never could get my speedometer to read correctly after a trans and rear end change. I had 1 of those GM tachs and I would not work with a GM HEI & an MSD box.

The speedometer is GPS and has several functions like 1/4 mile speed and time.

The oil, temp and volt also have user programmable setting for idiot lights.

There not cheap!

Here's a picture.
PA250990.JPG
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SWinner

I replaced all 3 gauges in my 68 Cutlass. I had a bunch of gauges hanging from the dash that I was able to remove. My car had idiot lights. I never could get my speedometer to read correctly after a trans and rear end change. I had 1 of those GM tachs and I would not work with a GM HEI & an MSD box.

There not cheap!

Here's a picture.
Attachment 197533

Those look great. Well played sir.
Old October 25th, 2017, 09:22 PM

Here's another option - saw this on eBay the other day.

Old October 26th, 2017, 06:04 AM

I have to agree with the speedhut vote. The options for customizations are endless. While they do carry a hefty price tag, they are top notch units. I have a very similar setup in my LS swapped '71 and they are flawless.
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:11 PM
72 Olds CS

I think the beer can mount w period correct tin beer can is the best so far.

re the clock spot mount, i think its the best "looking' site very clean and unobtrusive

But when your driving down the road this is what you see.

Im going to x2 beer can or column mount for best viewing.
Old October 27th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Yes that beer can is hard to follow but might I suggest the 64 thru (I believe) 67 factory pod tach, it fits right in the back of the standard shift console.

Old November 24th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Bought an Autometer tach and installed it in the dash. It was too hard to see through the steering wheel so I sent it back. Bought another tach to mount on the column. Hoping to play around mounting that today. It looks like it's going to be difficult strapping it to the column. May have to make a custom bracket.

Question: How do you attach the tach to the column if you have back drive linkage? Mine is disconnected because I'm running headers but I'm curious how that would work with the column rotating around.

Old November 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
http://www.gmsports.com/content/1968...***-tachometer

i have one of these for a 70-72...really decent...cheap..and new...
I bought one of these for my ‘68, was so cheaply made that It wasn’t even useable. Seriously I couldn’t even install it. The holes were off on the thin plastic case and it wouldn’t bolt up, had hot melt glue oozing out. Really looked like it was put together by a second grade arts and crafts class. I ended up butchering it and stealing the innards and making a tach out of an old clock.
Needles to say I wouldn’t recommend one of these.
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:31 AM

What about just a shift light.
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Bought an Autometer tach and installed it in the dash. It was too hard to see through the steering wheel
Interesting. I've been using a tach in the clock opening since the 1980s and never had an issue seeing it. It's just about the same as all of my other vehicles with factory tachs.

Question: How do you attach the tach to the column if you have back drive linkage? Mine is disconnected because I'm running headers
Never heard of an issue with headers and backdrive linkage, but that seems immaterial. Wouldn't mounting the tach on the column be the same with or without a functional backdrive linkage? The collar will move with either one, right?
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:03 PM

I drilled a small hole through the steering collar and then used an Allen keyed bolt through the collar into a threaded concave piece of aluminum for a backing plate inside the column. A real PIA to install. I had to take the steering wheel off and use needle nose pliers to hold the plate while I screwed the tach mount to it. I just didn’t like the worm band look but it would have been much simpler.

Old November 24th, 2017, 01:41 PM

I go for the Schlitz option!
Old November 24th, 2017, 05:14 PM
72 Olds CS

That does look good rroldsx. In the past when I've used the worm clamp I covered it w electrical tape to hide the clamp somewhat
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by kevdog442
I bought one of these for my ‘68, was so cheaply made that It wasn’t even useable. Seriously I couldn’t even install it. The holes were off on the thin plastic case and it wouldn’t bolt up, had hot melt glue oozing out. Really looked like it was put together by a second grade arts and crafts class. I ended up butchering it and stealing the innards and making a tach out of an old clock.
Needles to say I wouldn’t recommend one of these.
wow. mine is really a decent piece...weird
Old November 25th, 2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Interesting. I've been using a tach in the clock opening since the 1980s and never had an issue seeing it. It's just about the same as all of my other vehicles with factory tachs.

Don't get me wrong, I can see it but it's definitely obstructed by the wheel.

Never heard of an issue with headers and back drive linkage, but that seems immaterial. Wouldn't mounting the tach on the column be the same with or without a functional back drive linkage? The collar will move with either one, right?
OK, now you have me thinking. I don't know if I was told the back drive linkage wouldn't work with headers or I just made the assumption. I'll have to look at that.
So if I mount either a shift light or tach to the rotating part of the column, that's not a problem?

RROLDSX,

I like the look and positioning of your tach

Originally Posted by RROLDSX

I drilled a small hole through the steering collar and then used an Allen keyed bolt through the collar into a threaded concave piece of aluminum for a backing plate inside the column. A real PIA to install. I had to take the steering wheel off and use needle nose pliers to hold the plate while I screwed the tach mount to it. I just didn’t like the worm band look but it would have been much simpler.

Last edited by Cincinnati Rick; November 25th, 2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old November 25th, 2017, 08:05 AM

So if I mount either a shift light or tach to the rotating part of the column, that's not a problem?
I never mounted one to the column so I didn't think about where it actually mounted. From the pictures posted (and actually thinking about it) the tach would mount to the fixed section and not the rotating collar.
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SWinner

There not cheap!

Here's a picture.
Attachment 197533
Are these the 4" diameter? How did the factory black bezel fit to the gauges? Just inside the bezel or not?
Old November 27th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by AMMoyer
Are these the 4" diameter? How did the factory black bezel fit to the gauges? Just inside the bezel or not?
Yes, They are 4" gauges. Each gauge has a removable trim ring. I used 3M Super weather strip (black) to fasten the existing bezel to the front edge of the ring. The gauges are very lightweight, so I just inserted the gauge and the bezel into the dash without any fasteners.

BTW: My dash pad has been covered with vinyl so maybe that's why they require no fasteners.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:03 AM

2nd attempt.
I can see this a lot better but not totally digging it. I might try a smaller tach or put this in the dash and install a shift light.
I used heat shrink on the spiral clamp to clean it up a bit.

Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Doesn't look bad, bet it grows on ya.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:32 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You can mount it on the dash through the dash vent. I did that in the past. But i have 5 in. Tach. Harder to find spots
Old December 2nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
Rog

my 2 cents, a adj.rpm shift light on dash with a adj rev. limiter is the safest way to go eyes are looking down tract not hunting for the pin, you and your engine go home in one pice. been there, tachs look cool but you shouldn't need it for every day driving

Quick Reply: Looking For Tach Ideas