General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

ls1

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM

ls1

what's up olds guys there's alot of guys out here today, putting the ls1 engine in every thing whats wit that? is it that good?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM

I never owned one so I wouldn't know.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Oldsdruid

It's a decent engine but has no place in an Oldsmobile, IMHO.

I've always believed that anyone who stuffs a Chevrolet-design engine into anything but a Chevrolet is taking the easy way out and has absolutely no imagination when it comes to cars. I was taken to task recently when I called it a cop-out, but that's what it is, pure and simple.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:00 AM

sounds like a big job to be a cop-out I dont care eaither way to ls or not to ls but to get the injection to work and a new tranny to fit along with 12 other things that would pop up alot of work . But 500 hp in a light weight package has got to be fun. there was a gsx tribute that did this a few years back any one see what it runs in a 1/4??
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

The CHEVY LS-series produces impressive amounts of horsepower. There are many kits available for installing them in A-body cars. You won't find much help or support at this site, however.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:01 AM
car guy

I have mixed feeling about them. Its by far one if the best motors ever made for making power. I have owned several. You can pick up a 6.0 out of a wrecking yard and with tuning, headers and a cam change you can easily have a solid mid 11 sec car or right into the 10's with a little giggle gas.

As for swaping one into you Olds its up to you but this is my take in it. I call it the TT2 syndrome. In 1998 I went on my first Power Tour. I saw 50-60 cars with TT2's. They looked great and everyone was commenting how good look was including myself. Fast forward to 2001. That was the next time I went on Power Tour. There were probably 2500+ cars with TT2's. Everywhere you looked street rod, muscle car, or new LS1 F-body they were running polished TT2's.

That is what I think will happen with the current LS1 swap revolution. One day (maybe soon) guys are going to be walking through a big event and realise every other car has a LS1 based motor. IMO when that happens the LS1 swap will be on the road to being what the tuned port swap is today....another dated fad gone away
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearheads78
That is what I think will happen with the current LS1 swap revolution. One day (maybe soon) guys are going to be walking through a big event and realise every other car has a LS1 based motor. IMO when that happens the LS1 swap will be on the road to being what the tuned port swap is today....another dated fad gone away
Funny you should mention that. If you read Street Rodder or Rod and Custom, you'll notice that the trend is away from bellybutton SBCs and towards vintage engines like the first gen Olds, early Caddy, poly Chrysler, Y-block Ford, Nailhead Buick, etc.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Oldsdruid

About time...
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It's a decent engine but has no place in an Oldsmobile, IMHO.

I've always believed that anyone who stuffs a Chevrolet-design engine into anything but a Chevrolet is taking the easy way out and has absolutely no imagination when it comes to cars. I was taken to task recently when I called it a cop-out, but that's what it is, pure and simple.
I agree! Ditto!
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
About time...

A good friend of mine has a black and blue() 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1925 Maxwell hot-rod Roadster, and a fiberglass bodied 1904 Olds Pie Wagoan - ALL WITH HOPPED-UP ROCKET 455s! AND WITH C HEADS TO BOOT!

I hope that puts your mind at ease, Glenn with two Ns!
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM

I Think it funny that I cant turn the page fast enough when I see a new hemi in a old car.
But will look at a ls swap . may be its my gm favoritism? No my Hurst wont have a ls but a clone like that gsx that was done with air ride IS a cool car .
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM

joe you guys had a nice thread going on this were you talked about getting better heads from someone with new chambers and port runners what do you think it would take for edelbrock or trick flow rhs to see the light and try I have been told the bulldog heads were better than the e heads but the company folded Do we know who has them and why we cant get some progress going forward I have been told that roush is in on one of the pontiac block that are being produced I think a new aluminum block and heads would be very cool
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM

yeah the ls1 does look good in older cars. i got a 87 cutlass salon which i plan on putting a 350 olds,but i got those buddies who insist on the ls1,i think i can get good power out of the 350 i wounldnt say 500hp but a fair amount,what u guys think?
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by reesejames
yeah the ls1 does look good in older cars. i got a 87 cutlass salon which i plan on putting a 350 olds,but i got those buddies who insist on the ls1,i think i can get good power out of the 350 i wounldnt say 500hp but a fair amount,what u guys think?

Good move imho.
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry I can't help with your problem.

Just wanted to say howdy neighbor,I lived in Hammond for just over 20 years.2 different locations, 175th & Columbia and Hohman & Conkey.

Moved out about 4 years ago...south of US 30 now.

btw,I'm another firm believer olds should stay all olds.Bottom line though,it's your car,do what makes you happy.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 5th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM

w-30dreamin im on kennedy n 169th in hammond( hessville)
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I know your neighborhood well.
When I need quality auto parts I use Van Senus.
Usually every other weekend I'll stop at Key Pizza to take home one of their deep dish pizzas...very tasty!
Have a friend that within the last year sold his house at 169th & Arkansas.
During my high school years at Gavit,I had a couple friends that lived close by Morton.