General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Money for Nothing

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2022, 02:05 AM

Money for Nothing

Apparently, I'm a d!ck for telling it like it is. Here's the deal: I am flat sick of mf'ers begging for attention to get paid. That's it.
Just yesterday, my mom commented to me about how many Instagram followers I have. Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's @$$ about how many followers I have. Care to know why? Probably 25% of them are scammers with fake accounts trying to sucker me into giving them money. I try to block them as they come in, about 5-10 per day, but some slip through. Occasionally, I get a private message from some seemingly hot chick wanting to be friends. Yah, sure! I'll mess with them for fun when my inner sociopath needs entertained.
The flip side of that is the braggarts that celebrate their online social success.. "We just hit 5,000 subscribers!" Great. Good for you. How of those are the same scammers I block on an hourly basis? How can you even count that? Then, you have the ads for YouTube wannabes. I get called a d!ck and a bully because some guy is trying to get paid for making crappy videos. I'm sorry, but the video was terrible. "I want to share our knowledge and love of Oldsmobile " Bullshirt! It was 30 seconds of walk around with NO information, a drive to a car show with the camera falling in his lap, then a video of a car show. A video of a car show. Sorry, no dice.
There's a guy trying to make it with comedy. He was whining about getting DEmonetized. I think he works harder at not working, than if he just let it take off.
That's the bottom line: if your content is good, people will share it and turn others onto your stuff. If it sucks, you have to beg people to watch it. The old saying is 100% true. There is no better advertising than word of mouth. I'm not going to apologize for telling the truth.

Last edited by fleming442; October 27th, 2022 at 02:30 AM.
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:44 AM

Now, these guys are entertaining. Oldsmobile appearance at 10:40
Old October 27th, 2022, 04:22 AM
Bfg

I don’t find this entertaining, just a bunch of noise!
Old October 27th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Old School Olds

Old October 27th, 2022, 05:41 AM

I guess the point I'm trying to make that no one but CANADIANOLDS picked up on is this: it takes HOURS and HOURS of video to make 10 minutes of entertaining YouTube. You should spend more time editing than it's worth. Then, was it worth it?

I deleted my "negative bullying d!ck" comments from the other thread. Don't be asking for "any and all support" if you ain't tryna get paid. What else are you trying to accomplish?
Old October 27th, 2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Oldsmobile appearance at 10:40
I guess I'm different than most people, cuz I have yet to spend 10 minutes watching a youtube video. If ever I look at an "instructional" video (ha!), I fast forward through to get the important parts and skip the fluff. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old October 27th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Administrator

The way I see it is the videos are out there to enjoy or not. If you don't like what you see, just change the channel and watch something else. Spending all your time grumbling and critiquing is waste as while you may not like it, there are some that do. Opinions are like A*&(YT"S everyone has one.
Old October 27th, 2022, 10:25 AM

I'm with ya, fleming
Old October 27th, 2022, 11:59 AM

I watch youtube videos as I eat meals for entertainment. Music only videos while surfing the web. Instructional videos when I need them.
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Running On Empty

Smoky @ 11:53
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:52 PM

There aren't a lot of youtube content creators that interest me. A few do make the cut, though, and I don't expect a whole lot for the nothing I pay to watch them. Some of the automotive ones that I gravitate to are;

Rainmanray - Just a good quality honest mechanic with positive attitude and a camera filming his day to day work, whatever rolls into the shop.

vise grip garage - Just a guy with a somewhat Red Greene schtick, his early stuff of buying junk and getting it running just badly enough to drive home was fun.

Junkyard Digs - Small town Iowa young couple doing amateur level work on old cars. Mostly watch once in a while because it reminds me of when I first got into cars, and doesnt hurt that they have now worked on 2 separate 1972 Cutlass's or Cuttlii? whatever the plural is.

stay tuned (now on Hagerty's youtube channel) Tony Angelo formerly from roadkill garage working on his own project cars back east with a couple friends. I think it will prove entertaining once he settles into a rhythm. he also has a 72? cutlass and an interesting street machine firebird.

it's hard to find creators with the right mix of being informative and entertaining at the same time. Some wander off course and lose the point and others gloss over anything that could be informative. Mix that with the fact that most people just aren't fun to watch work (like I would be) and you end up with a lot of disappointing content.. but we pay for none of it so c'est la vie.

Last edited by ach1992880; October 27th, 2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old October 27th, 2022, 03:39 PM

I watch youtube a lot but do not subscribe to any channels. It's a very useful resource for different things especially electronics and computer fixes. You you need to change a door window mechanism you can find how to do especially where all of the hidden screws are in the door panels. My advice to anybody who don't like youtube,stay away.
Old October 27th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yeah, we all get those pretty girls wanting to be our friends. For me, it is Twitter. I was lucky one pretty girl, 29 years ago liked me. People try and shame my opinions because I don't have a million followers, screw you. Sorry, I live in the offline world. The outdoors is much more real than someone's million followers. Being on the water catching fish is great. Hiking through the wilderness makes me smile. My family member put our last name on the farthest reaches of this earth. That is real and everlasting, not how many followers you have. My Wife hates the made up words the Vice Grip Garage guy uses. I like the multiple shows that take sitting old wrecks, usually 70's Ford, which didn't run well new and drive them across country. I watch multiple Wrestling Podcasts and some Wrestling like the NWA and MLW. Most of their content is free and a good watch. We have multiple paid streaming services, still cheaper than cable was.
Old October 27th, 2022, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The way I see it is the videos are out there to enjoy or not. If you don't like what you see, just change the channel and watch something else. Spending all your time grumbling and critiquing is waste as while you may not like it, there are some that do. Opinions are like A*&(YT"S everyone has one.
ditto