General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My 72 Cutlass Supreme's History

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2024, 02:02 PM

Question My 72 Cutlass Supreme's History

I am looking to find out more about my 1972 Cutlass Supreme's history. The car was imported into the UK from California and I believe it spent the vast majority of its life there.

It was purchased at Brucks Oldsmobile in Hollywood. I still have the Brucks license plate frame on the car. I can get the VIN as well if that helps identify it. Below I'll attach the pictures of the car from when it was in the USA. I can't see the first part of the registration plate but the rest of it is ?85 DZX.

Car was originally dark green with a green interior and a black vinyl roof. I would love to find out more about it from when it was in the states. Perhaps the previous owner is on this forum?

If there's any more information needed, let me know - I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mikolaj

California Pic 1

California Pic 2

California Pic 3

Current Pic 1

Current Pic 2
Old May 7th, 2024, 10:21 AM

Where was that last picture taken? Looks like it could be Brighton or Worthing.
Old May 7th, 2024, 11:19 AM
Gary

Mikolaj,

I lived in Los Angeles during the time those license plates were current.

The first digit is probably a "6." I base this on the right side of the loop being rounder than that on the 8 and 5. 0 and 3 also had straight sides in that era.

Beautiful car. Good luck!

Gary

Old May 7th, 2024, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MJedrzejczak
I am looking to find out more about my 1972 Cutlass Supreme's history. The car was imported into the UK from California and I believe it spent the vast majority of its life there.

If there's any more information needed, let me know - I'll see what I can find out.
First off, your chances of finding out anything are pretty much zero. MANY old Oldsmobile owners would like to have just this kind of information about their car, but, unless they get lucky and some original selling paperwork came with the car when they obtained it, there's pretty much no chance of tracking its history. Oldsmobile did not start keeping sales records until the 1977 model year.

Second, and not that it will help at all, but you should post the car's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), which is a 13-character number (letters and numbers) which should be on a small plaque at the very bottom edge of the front windshield on the driver's side. You view the number from outside the car through the windshield. With the car being an Oldsmobile, the VIN will start with a 3.

Third, some dates would help. Exactly WHEN was the car imported to the UK? If it was recently (last few years), you might have a chance of running across the former owner on this site. But if it was, say, 25 years ago, and if the seller no longer owned an Oldsmobile after selling it, he might not be participating on this site because he has no interest. If it was long enough ago, the seller might not even be alive anymore.

MANY people have come onto this site with questions and a situation like yours. They want to know about the history of their car, track down the original owner, or something similar. I don't recall ever seeing any of them come back to say they were successful.

Good luck!

Here's a newspaper ad for Brucks Oldsmobile. It appeared in the May 20, 1954 edition of the Los Angeles Times. Brucks opened in 1950 and closed in 1980.

Old May 14th, 2024, 09:47 PM

I like the last picture, the machine looks more beautiful in it.