General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Screamin' Window

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM

Screamin' Window

Im new here and will have lots of questions. My first is: The passenger side window makes an awful screeching noise when rolled down (manual crank). Im assuming its the outer squeegie, if I pull on the glass as Im winding it down its quiet(er). Any suggestions?
Thanks -
Phillip
Old December 6th, 2016, 12:46 PM

Phillip, are there any scratches on the window that might indicate it's rubbing on parts inside the door? If not, then as you said it could be the window felts. Especially if you've never replaced them.

I replaced the window felts on my 71 98. They are also sometimes called cat whiskers. BTW, what kind of car is it?
Old December 6th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Phillip, are there any scratches on the window that might indicate it's rubbing on parts inside the door? If not, then as you said it could be the window felts. Especially if you've never replaced them.

I replaced the window felts on my 71 98. They are also sometimes called cat whiskers. BTW, what kind of car is it?
'70 Cutlass Supreme. I was thinking it was the felts/fuzzies, but this particular part seems to be hard, like a squeegie. That and the window is snug against at its lowest resting point, so I wouldnt know how to get it out/replace it without taking the entire door apart it seems. Unless its something that just lifts out, that maybe I can get a hold of at the ends...

Old December 7th, 2016, 05:31 AM

I had to remove the front windows in my 71 98 to replace the window felts. They shouldn't be hard and brittle like old windshield wipers but supple like a new squeegee.
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:40 AM

I had to remove the front windows in my 71 98 to replace the window felts. They shouldn't be hard and brittle like old windshield wipers but supple like a new squeegee.
I had a feeling. OK, thanks for the info.
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:45 AM

If you take the door panel off and roll the window all the way down you will be able to tell if the window needs to come out. The window felts are secured with screws and the window blocks one or two of them.
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:51 AM

If you take the door panel off and roll the window all the way down you will be able to tell if the window needs to come out. The window felts are secured with screws and the window blocks one or two of them.

When I replaced my felts, I found that removing the block (don't know the actual name for it) inside the door underneath the window, allowed the window to be rolled down a little further than the norm. This allowed me to replace the felts easily. The pain in the but was replacing the felts on the door panel itself. Bending the old staples, so that I could remove them w/o damaging the panel was tedious to say the least.
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM

Chip, that's awesome. I wasn't sure if the windows needed to come out or not in a Cutlass. I guess I should have checked the window actuator and the innards of my door when I did the window felts on my 71 98. Oh well, I had to realign all the windows anyways since I put new weather stripping on the car (not an easy task for a 4 door hardtop).
Old December 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Yes, sometimes removing door panel and then the lower window stop can allow the outer beltline strip to be replaced with the window in position.