General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

SOMEBODY out there's gotta have one...

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

SOMEBODY out there's gotta have one...

I knew that the spring-loaded "scroll" Olds badge would go at any moment, so when it hit like 20 degrees here in SE Michigan I wasn't surprised to see that the mounting loop for the spring had broken and the badge tumbled into the snow.

I was not, however, prepared for my little red nose "Rocket" badge to go AWOL on me less than a week ago...

I know there were many models and grilles and even a second background color (dark grey vs. red) badge added at various points in time, but I never thought this badge would be so hard to find...

It's roughly 4" x 2" and beveled in enough places and directions to make me think that this isn't exactly swappable with just any old Olds' grille emblem. But therein lay my issue: Seeing as how the last "real" Custom Cruiser debuted in 1977 and lasted until 1990--and how many parts they shared with their two- and four-door siblings--why aren't finding bits like these a breeze?

I'm not ashamed to admit when I don't know something, even when it's car-related. And thankfully I have you guys out there to bounce ideas off of at the very least. But is there a super-secret volume hidden deep beneath a mountain somewhere that will tell you that you can use Badges A-through-L from years X to Z in a situation such as this?

I have, literally, just about nothing to spend on replacing this badge. But as I'm sure more than a few of you know, when you look at your beloved ride now that she has an emblem like that missing, it gnaws at you. Sure, the springy-thingie hood ornament is missing, but it still looks OK thanks to the finished bull nose end piece. But this is like a supermodel with her two front teeth knocked out.

So I'm laying it out here on the line: If you have--or know someone who has--a proper replacement emblem for my '89 CC at a reasonable price, you will not only be awarded the coveted "Bestest Friend" status in my mental Rolodex, but you will also receive reimbursement for any shipping costs and whatever cash value we negotiate for the item.

And as if that wasn't enough, you will also have the opportunity to see your name and pretty much whatever else you'd like people to know about you that I can legally fit into a future article in an actual future article!

In the cesspool/minefield that is eBay Motors there are Delta 88 "maybe" OEM items, but at $70 they are WAY too expensive for me right now, especially seeing as how they don't bother to tell you what applications any of the badges are good for.

But I don't even need a mint-in-package piece (unless it's cheap). Heck, I'd even consider switching to the grey emblem if the price was right. I am a literal beggar here and open to any and all offers.

I just KNOW that one of you has one of these just sitting in the bottom of your toolbox or just sitting bolted to that junker you've got out on the back 40 that your wife is always telling to you get rid of.

*CUE INSPIRATIONAL MUSIC AND FLAG-WAVING IMAGE ON JUMBOTRON*

Through the simple act of you donating (can't hurt to ask) this part to make my Olds whole again, you are showing that you believe in America and all it stands for, especially when those things feature badass chrome rocketships.

God bless the USA!

Last edited by auto_editor; July 14th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Smash

I wish I had one cause being the bestest at anything is my goal.
Any junk yards around you ? You won't find it in the yard but ask the smelly fat dude behind the counter watching Wheel of Fortune he has one or knows who does.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Beer Connoisseur

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-84-98-Reg...5e26e2&vxp=mtr
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Until you find one maybe get a vinyl graphic made in that size? If I had one it would be on the way.
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Send me your address and I will mail this one out to you. It is not perfect but the price is right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_6398.jpg (53.3 KB, 33 views)
100_6399.jpg (53.0 KB, 25 views)
100_6400.jpg (59.5 KB, 18 views)
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
72 Olds CS

nice job Eric !!!

i found this on the local CL IDK if they will ship but if your interested contact the seller

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/pts/4563537397.html