General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Swapped out the Body Mounts

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM

Swapped out the Body Mounts

I replaced all the bodt mounts on my 70 442 this weekend. I replaced all the main mounts and the core support mounts. I bought the kits from Fusicks.

The mounts were 100% correct in shape and style. The bolts they send are not flanged like the originals.

The inner fenders need to come out to access the number 2 mount at the base of the cowl. There is a large square hole on the body, and there is a 1" square nut that must be held to take the bolt out.

Mounts 3,4,and 5 are the "hockey puck" style (no bolts). They drop into a hole in the frame.

Mounts 6 and 7 are below the trunk. They have bolts that thread into cage nuts that are inside the reinforcing ribs.

The core support has 2 square busings, and a combination of shims, all held together with a bolt/nut.

You need to do one side of the car at a time. That keeps the body aligned on the frame.

Start by removing the inner fenders. The front tires have to be off.

Remove the core support nut from the bottom.

Remove the square nut at the #2 position

Remove the bolts from #6 & #7 positions.

Get a 24" long piece of 2x6 lumber. Place it on the jack saddle, and position in under the floor reinforcing ribs about 6 inches from the frame rail.

SLOWLY START TO LIFT THE BODY. YOU MAY HAVE TO LOOSEN THE REAR BUMPER AND PULL IT OUT A SMALL BIT SO THE BODY DOES NOT HIM IT.

You only have to go up about an inch. Remove all the old bushings, and replace tehm with the new ones. I sprayed a small amount of paint on the mounting surfaces of the frame.

SLOWLY LOWER THE BODY.

Thread in the bolts and washers with the lower mount. Tighten to 40 foot pounds. Then repeat on the other side.

I took the time to clean and redye the inner fenders. I used Duplicolor semi flat black, and they came out great. I also bought a mounting kit from Fusick that has all the clips and correct bolts.

While the inner fenders were off, I took the time to replace my blower motor with an NOS one that I had. Really easy to do if the inner fender is off.

It took me about 8 hours from start to finish.

Here are pictures of the bushings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds Body Mount Set.JPG (49.4 KB, 39 views)
Olds Body Mount with Paint.JPG (45.4 KB, 32 views)
Olds Body Mounts Solid.JPG (26.6 KB, 25 views)
Olds Core Support.JPG (32.7 KB, 33 views)
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

Hey Paul, that sounds like a good time. You made pretty good time on that project IMO. You are fortunate to have a car that is not ravaged with rust or corrosion. I have rounded off bolt heads and had those cage nuts just spin inside their metal housing.
There is a classic auto show at the Elm Bank estate (rt 16) on the wellesley south natick line on 6/28. The feature car for 2009 is Oldsmobile. I belong to the GMO and they are planning on having at least 100 Oldsmobiles there. You should bring your car or just go.