General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Throwing a cheap side exit exhaust on my car

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Throwing a cheap side exit exhaust on my car

I got the parts today, it's replacing the rotted out, leaky, raspy, but mostly dead silent stock system. I'm going to put it on tomorrow. It will exit somewhere between the front and rear passengers side doors.

It consists of a 2ft 2.5" pipe, a free 2" Flowtech Redhot glasspack, a 2.5" to 2" adapter, and a 2" 45 degree turn, cost me $22.60. It will be straight off the crossover, and not much quieter than an open crossover.

I was going to run the pipe further back with another 2 foot pipe, but the pipe angles at the crossover/ So without a flex pipe, and some other tinkering it would stick out from under the car, and it may still do that. But that is why they invented the reciprocating saw, right? Well that and ancient lumber that refuses to stop being part of the wall.

Pics coming tomorrow morning, video with the sound of the "New" system later on.

Oh, side note, the pipe is made in Canada, the adapter in the USA, the clamps in the USA, the muffler likely is made in China, and the turn pipe is made in Mexico. Does this make my car a part of the world economy?
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The only thing you'll likely have to be careful of is any complaints from potential noise violations or if you pull up beside a police car.
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:06 PM
NOVICE car nut

I'm not sure how loud glass packs are , but I think as long as it's not real loud you should be ok . We have a lot of loud fartcan Honda's here in WI , along with some real loud Harleys , so you would blend right in with the noise here .
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Got it all on, it's pretty quiet, actually. I've heard full length systems that are A LOT louder. I had to dig out a deep well socket to get the clamps to tighten enough to make it stop leaking, and use a 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 set of adapters in my cordless impact drill to tighten them, but it all worked out in the end. I used a metal strap and coat hanger as hangers, for now anyway. It works well enough, I had to drill a hole in the frame for the coat hanger to go through, I'll have to make it a bit larger when I get a real hanger. I was $5-ish short of getting a hanger and still having gas money until I get paid.

Pics:

Video will be coming later, the video quality isn't the best, but the sound quality is more than good enough to show the sound.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Im surprised that it isnt loud. Maybe its because of the glass packs or maybe im comparing to my friend's Stingray when i helped him installed side pipes. He took it around the block and came back and told me to take them off. It was too loud for him.
This morning i switched from Flow Masters to Dynomax VT. What a difference in noise. I missed the Flow Masters "BOOM" sound once i started but with the Dynomax there is no "BOOM" sound but you can heard the cam more clearer than the Flow Masters.
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

I was honestly hoping it would be louder, but at least this won't draw much attention aside from the cosmetics of it. But, I do have expensive things other than the exhaust to worry about in the time between now and next April when it needs to be inspected again.

Like new springs, and I think my pass side ball joints are shot, 'cause that tire looks like something has chewed on the edge of it, drivers side is fine, but the pass side is the side with bad springs, and it's starting to pull to the right. For whatever reason, they are only bad on that side. Whatever the case, I'm looking at about another $350-500 in the chassis and $300 or so in replacing the carburetor before I do anything else to the exhaust except maybe get a couple proper hangers on it.

Sure this car is costing me money quite often, but I don't really care, I like the car, it's pretty nimble for its size, it goes like a bat out of hell since the catyletic converter was sawed / hammered / shaken / otherwise brutally removed from it's stubborn abode under my car. And it can only get better with future repairs and modifications. Oh, the video is about half way done uploading, I'll link it when it goes up.
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

I'm not trying to be a downer, but did you check into what your states rules on exhaust are, like annual inspections and such? You did good but most states have rules about where the exhaust exits in relation to side windows on the vehicle.

Spending small amounts on a car keeps you within your budget, plus no car payment. Your going about your project the same as most of us did when we were your age. I respect that.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm not trying to be a downer, but did you check into what your states rules on exhaust are, like annual inspections and such? You did good but most states have rules about where the exhaust exits in relation to side windows on the vehicle.
It won't pass inspection, but since it isn't unusually loud, an officer will likely not bother me unless he pulls me over for something else. I'm a pretty cautious driver, so that isn't likely. It's only meant to last until next year when I can have a dual exhaust system put on.

You can read the law on exhaust systems here:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

Technically a true dual system is illegal, technically anything but my stock 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" system with a catyletic converter and a quiet or fairly mild muffler is illegal. However, the enforcement of this law is lax at best, unless the vehicle is unusually loud, or spitting fireballs, or some other nonsense.

However, with this paragraph in mind:

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment.
And note the bold portion, according to that, my exhaust is at least half legal, I don't consider the amount of noise to be excessive or unusual. Especially considering the things that blow by my house on a daily basis.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; May 17th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Not an issue then.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Not an issue then.

Hopefully not, also here's the video, was gonna wait for youtube to finish editing it, but, that might take a year at this rate. Again, I don't think this is producing any "Excessive or unusual amounts of noise"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIoIlxf7vwM
Old May 17th, 2014, 07:43 PM

I'm not trying to bum you out either but it's not the noise, it's the fumes. DO NOT drive around with that exhaust and the rear windows down. That part that isn't bold states, "that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment." Olds didn't exit your exhaust under the rear passenger windows and you shouldn't either. In Texas a car with exhaust exiting under the passenger compartment should not pass a safety inspection, not to mention the converter being removed. I realize it is a budget move until you can get something better going on. Just don't sit in it this winter while warming it up with that short side exhaust, it may fill the car with fumes.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Throw a battery powered CO monitor in the back seat if you can find one cheap, or a 12V version, or just be paranoid about the smell of exhaust.

Sounds fine, but, son, OIL that door hinge!
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by texxas
I'm not trying to bum you out either but it's not the noise, it's the fumes. DO NOT drive around with that exhaust and the rear windows down. That part that isn't bold states, "that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment." Olds didn't exit your exhaust under the rear passenger windows and you shouldn't either. In Texas a car with exhaust exiting under the passenger compartment should not pass a safety inspection, not to mention the converter being removed. I realize it is a budget move until you can get something better going on. Just don't sit in it this winter while warming it up with that short side exhaust, it may fill the car with fumes.
I'm aware of the issue, and aware of the danger, I always have my drivers side window cracked, even in the cold, it's just an old habit I've grown use too from driving old cars with leaky exhausts. Most of the cars I've driven throughout the years have tried to fumigate me out of the car, so I know to be careful. All in all, it's a tacky and somewhat annoying "Fix", but it works for what it is.

Originally Posted by Koda
Sounds fine, but, son, OIL that door hinge!
Yeah, it started squeaking recently, I need to get some lithium grease. It's annoying, isn't it?

I may get my hands on a new tailpipe (mine has a hole in it), a longer 2.5" pipe from Summit racing, a decent muffler, a flex pipe so I can direct the pipe where it needs to go, and hang that on there myself, I'm not sure yet though.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; May 18th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM

With an exit in that location, you are going to get gassed. I know, because I tried it once. It was awful. Locate the exit further back.
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I thought it would be louder, but its not. The hemi trucks and new fords are louder than that. I do agree with changing the exhaust exit to dump further back. Looks like you're due for some valve and/or ring work.
Old May 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by need4speed
With an exit in that location, you are going to get gassed. I know, because I tried it once. It was awful. Locate the exit further back.
I may, but the angle at which it exits the manifold makes it difficult, unless I can find a way to bend the pipe without squishing it, or find a flexible joint that won't fall apart. The stock intermediate pipe won't bolt too the crossover pipe. The budget was also a problem, but I'll probably add another pipe later on and see if I can connect it to the tailpipe, if so I'll replace the tailpipe and be done with it for now.

Originally Posted by Allan R
I thought it would be louder, but its not. The hemi trucks and new fords are louder than that. I do agree with changing the exhaust exit to dump further back. Looks like you're due for some valve and/or ring work.

Yeah those new Rams are LOUD, and people usually make them louder before the 30 day tags expire. As for the valve / ring work, do you mean the smoke when I first start it? It's always done that, my wagon did that even. It seems to be unburnt gas more than anything. I haven't lost any oil in the nearly 2,000 miles I've put on the car. The carburetor runs rich sometimes. Or where you referring to something else? Now you've got me a bit worried man.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; May 18th, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The blue smoke usually means the valve stem seals are shot. Faulty ones will leak oil into the cylinder after the car is shut off. Just enough to blow out that blue smoke on startup.
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by Allan R
The blue smoke usually means the valve stem seals are shot. Faulty ones will leak oil into the cylinder after the car is shut off. Just enough to blow out that blue smoke on startup.

Well that doesn't sound too terrible to fix. I can easily find the specs for my engine, since it's pretty much identical except in branding to this engine:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...7353/overview/

My engine is branded as a Goodwrench 350, but the internals haven't changed a bit in the 20 or 30 years they've sold that engine.