General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wireless gauges and sensors?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Wireless gauges and sensors?

Just had a thought, with today's technology I wonder why nobody has come up with a wireless temp and oil gauges? Maybe even a wireless tach. You could screw in the transducer and need no wires to the interior of the car. They could even make a display with a suction cup to go on the windshield. Would be a nice setup for people not wanting to mount aftermarket gauges in there cars. I am wanting to put a temp gauge in my Jetfire but going to make it so that I can unplug it and remove it if I take it to a show. It would still have the wrong sender in the engine but at least I can hide the gauge. Just thinking out loud....
Old May 16th, 2020, 05:11 PM

Another idea, why not make the transducers so that a smart phone could read them and mount the phone on the windshield
Old May 16th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Fantastic ideas! With short range BlueTooth technology and devices, both the remote gauge and smartphone connections are possible.
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:03 PM

And when you swipe the screen for a different gauge, Mr. Bear pulls you over for an invitation to pay.
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:38 PM

I did see wideband O2 sensors that were Bluetooth capable. I thought it was a pretty slick idea. I wouldn’t be surprised if Autometer or some of the other instrument gauge makers follow.
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:40 PM

Eric,
I use my cellphone as my wideband o2 gauge through a sensor and my phones Bluetooth. Same can be done for water temp. Here’s their home page. Go to multigauge.

Old May 16th, 2020, 08:35 PM

You need power for the signal from somewhere, so each sensor needs a battery or a wired power source. Essentially the best case is a remote control processor and power source that links to a remote wireless display.

I’ve thought a removable digital dash for mine would be cool to do something like that, I like accurate gauges for the sake of the engine but don’t like the aftermarket look.

Wow, need info on the PLX. I like it! I was hoping AEM would do something similar.

Last edited by 83hurstguy; May 16th, 2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
You need power for the signal from somewhere, so each sensor needs a battery or a wired power source. Essentially the best case is a remote control processor and power source that links to a remote wireless display.

I’ve thought a removable digital dash for mine would be cool to do something like that, I like accurate gauges for the sake of the engine but don’t like the aftermarket look.

Wow, need info on the PLX. I like it! I was hoping AEM would do something similar.
They could make them with replaceable lithium batteries. We have some wireless sensors for a completely different application at work. The sensors have a 15 second refresh rate and the batteries last years under continues use. I figure these would need to be a much faster refresh rate so the batteries would not last quite as long but the cars would not be used nearly as much as our product at work.
Old May 17th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Administrator

I would assume the demand for this is really low with the costs being fairly high. The majority of old car owners are very low tech.
Old May 17th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I would assume the demand for this is really low with the costs being fairly high. The majority of old car owners are very low tech.
Low tech is where these would be great. Just pop in the sensor and then a display on the windshield. Maybe an adapter for the display to plug into the lighter port.