General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

HELP!!!! Never bought an Olds need some expert opinions!

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM

HELP!!!! Never bought an Olds need some expert opinions!

Ok this guy is selling me this for $4000 and my 89 Mustang should I go for it? Its a 1972 Cutlass supreme Holiday Coupe, It has a rocket 350 bored .60 over, a shift kit, posi rear end, different heads and headers, 12 gallon fuel cell in trunk, a 350 transmission, he says it has 550 horsepower and 13:1 compression. Some other stuff also like stall converter and some kind of brake thing you let go at 3500 rpm. (Anybody know what that is by the way?) Is this a good deal? Im going to university of Kentucky this fall so im needing something to help me out haha. Heres the link to the pictures.

Thanks alot,
Johnny

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/v...y0314/?action= view&current=car2.jpg
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Past Administrator

That looks like a strip car. He is not using the water pump to circulate through the heater core so you would have no defroster/heat. The engine "appears" to be built and may have the power it claims. Are the tires street tires? I didn't notice. The color is nice but not original. The "brake thing" is probably used in racing to hold the engine at 3500 rpm until you want to launch. As to value, only you and he can decide, you know what your mustang is worth to you. He may have 4 grand in the engine alone but that will not mean the car is worth that much. I am not saying it isn't but without seeing it in person it is hard. If you want some more objective feedback get some more information from him like specific engine components used to build it (part numbers and specs), how long ago was the engine re-build done, etc. You might buy that car, not be able to use it for what you need (especially if you need a daily driver) and then get soured on it and in the long run be bummed, mad at us, and think Oldsmobile cars are bad. We don't want that.

edit: I don't care for that black velour on the dash and the red pinstripe treatment either but that is wholly subjective.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Captain of my ship

Exclamation

Originally Posted by louisianaboy05
Ok this guy is selling me this for $4000 and my 89 Mustang should I go for it? Its a 1972 Cutlass supreme Holiday Coupe, It has a rocket 350 bored .60 over, a shift kit, posi rear end, different heads and headers, 12 gallon fuel cell in trunk, a 350 transmission, he says it has 550 horsepower and 13:1 compression. Some other stuff also like stall converter and some kind of brake thing you let go at 3500 rpm. (Anybody know what that is by the way?) Is this a good deal? Im going to university of Kentucky this fall so im needing something to help me out haha. Heres the link to the pictures.

Thanks alot,
Johnny

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/v...y0314/?action= view&current=car2.jpg
1.Go for a ride in it first and decide if it just might kill you. 2.Check to see if it would be considered street legal in both states that you will have the car.3. With all the money and gear on the car when something breaks are you going to be able to afford to fix it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM

O ok thanks wow no heat??? whats up with those 2 oil filter things on the left? How would you think it would start in the cold? or driving it in cold weather? Im not going to be driving it all that much when I get up there. He said the engine and transmission have just recently been rebuilt, and I paid about 1200 for my mustang. So deal or no deal haha Thanks alot for your time
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Haha good idea, he also said it runs on 93 octane what would happen if I used normal fuel? Would i mess anything up?

Originally Posted by wolfman98
1.Go for a ride in it first and decide if it just might kill you. 2.Check to see if it would be considered street legal in both states that you will have the car.3. With all the money and gear on the car when something breaks are you going to be able to afford to fix it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Past Administrator

O ok thanks wow no heat??? whats up with those 2 oil filter things on the left?
Those are dual remote oil filters, possibly because he needed clearance because of the headers or simply to ease maintenance and extra insurance (duals).
How would you think it would start in the cold? or driving it in cold weather? Im not going to be driving it all that much when I get up there. He said the engine and transmission have just recently been rebuilt, and I paid about 1200 for my mustang. So deal or no deal haha Thanks alot for your time
Probably hard starting in cold weather, like wolfman said, take it for a spin. Don't call him ahead so he can't have a chance to pre-start it and warm it up just drop by and ask for a ride. Look under the hood first and make sure to feel the radiator as you lean into the engine bay, that way he won't notice that you are looking to see if the engine is warm or cold.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:44 AM

o ok sounds like a good idea, do cars like this have good resale value? And what about driving a car like this for 2 hours? Would it run hot or anything along those lines?
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Past Administrator

Resale value of any muscle car from the 70s is less if it isn't in original condition, which this one isn't. As to running hot, it very well may run hot over a long period (two hours) if it is truly a strip car like it appears to me to be in the pictures. The test drive should answer some questions for you. And, you can always ask the owner, even if he isn't honest, if you are able to detect that you should get some direction from the results.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Well im no real expert, but sounds like the guy might be full of it. if running 13 to 1 compression you would have to run race fuel, not 93 oct. The trans thing is a Trans Brake, and it might have a manual valve body in it. If i was you i would post on www.realoldspower.com Its more of a race site. Maybe someone lives close to you might be able to go look at the car with you. Help figure out if the guy is F.O.S. or not. Also see if the car is drivable for the street. It does look like a fun car, but might ot be good for a daily driver. Good luck.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Captain of my ship

Exclamation

Haha good idea, he also said it runs on 93 octane what would happen if I used normal fuel? Would i mess anything up?
I can remember when high-test gas was 101 but that was many moons ago.

Last edited by wolfman98; January 29th, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: misspell
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:10 AM
car guy

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Either its not 13:1 or its not running pump gas. A 13:1 motor would hammer itself to death to short order with pump gas. A real 550 HP SBO is going to be some serious parts and the guy would know exactrly whats in it.

The brake is called a transbrake. It allows the transmission to be in forward and reverse at the same time with an electric valve. Once you turn the switch off with a spring loaded button the car will violetly go forward. If you have any weak link in the drivetrain you will find them quickly.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by f-85
Well im no real expert, but sounds like the guy might be full of it. if running 13 to 1 compression you would have to run race fuel, not 93 oct. The trans thing is a Trans Brake, and it might have a manual valve body in it. If i was you i would post on www.realoldspower.com Its more of a race site. Maybe someone lives close to you might be able to go look at the car with you. Help figure out if the guy is F.O.S. or not. Also see if the car is drivable for the street. It does look like a fun car, but might ot be good for a daily driver. Good luck.
Looks like you type faster than me but we are on the exact same page.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Looks like you type faster than me but we are on the exact same page.
I type faster then i should. I always end up missing letters, or misspelling words. LOL
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you are looking for something you can take to school and use as a driver, this is not the car for you. Oldsguy hit the nail on the head, this is a race car. It may be street legal and he probably has a ton of money in it. The trade might be a good deal if you were looking for a race car that you could take the occassional cruise in. Based on some of your questions, you would have a hard time keeping this car going. All of us here would like you to have and Oldsmobile because we love them. This is a great website and in my personal opinion, the best thing we can do is discourage you from buying or trading for this car.

With a name like louisianaboy05, I am guessing you are from Louisiana. I am from north LA originally (West Monroe) but have lived in Texas since 1979. I still have a few relatives in LA.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by redoldsman
If you are looking for something you can take to school and use as a driver, this is not the car for you. Oldsguy hit the nail on the head, this is a race car. It may be street legal and he probably has a ton of money in it. The trade might be a good deal if you were looking for a race car that you could take the occassional cruise in. Based on some of your questions, you would have a hard time keeping this car going. All of us here would like you to have and Oldsmobile because we love them. This is a great website and in my personal opinion, the best thing we can do is discourage you from buying or trading for this car.

Heat? It doesn't even have a heater core. It would be tough to get it to work with no controls in site on the dash too. That gas gauge is pegged on hot??
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Yea, im from Alexandria Louisiana im living Kentucky now going to school where is your family from? But does this change your mind any: My circumstances are when I dont have to drive to eat, school, sleep, and hang out is on campus so I dont really need to drive for anything except to work which my job will be 10 miles there and back. So under these would this change your minds any, I really like the looks of this car and all, is there anything I could do to maybe tune it down some? And he says 8-10 a gallon what do you think in town like at red lights and all?

Originally Posted by redoldsman
With a name like louisianaboy05, I am guessing you are from Louisiana. I am from north LA originally (West Monroe) but have lived in Texas since 1979. I still have a few relatives in LA.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM

It might be OK. You never know. It might be 9-1 not 13-1, and line lock not a trans brake. I really dont know. What you need is someone to go there with you to check out the car. Someone with good knowledge of race cars to check it out up and down. Either the guy is lying to you or he just doesnt know about it. Good luck!
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Sounds like it runs on snake oil to me. Run, don't walk away from this deal. Its a hammered car with problems just waiting to bite someone. Just my opinion. Ask any on the sit that has built and engine can't run on pump gas at that stated compression ratio. A deal to good to be true usually isn't
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:24 AM

UMMMMMMMMMMM No....

Well I want to make a disclaimer that these opinions are my own, I have NOT personally seen this car, nor have I ever met the driver and I am sorry I am not very politically correct.

this car is an abortion! besides having no heater as was said it appears it has no windsheild wipers either so it could hardly be street legal,

Race car? hmmm must be those slick side pipes and that weight saving velour? I do see he has extra long wheel studs and in fairness he might have some stuff into the car, the paint has lots of orange peel, the hoses look like he bought a cheapo braided line cover set, these are not AN fittings, the rear quarter window looks like it has some kind of window etching on it, It looks like there is still some bodywork visible in tthe rear wheel well. The stock fuel pump obviously is not being used, but it appears he has some kind of dual feed carb on it...

13 to 1 on pump gas NOPE, even when you could get sunoco 260 at the pump it wouldn't do 13 to 1 camm 2 or better my friend...

that is BIG bucks and not easily found everywhere.

that said if you put 4k into your 89 mustang you would have something unless it is swish cheese rusted...

I personally would not walk but Run away...

please bear in mind that this is my opinion, and i am sure if you took a knowledgeable car guy with you, he can steer you straight

as far as the guys own words and claims, it is not a street machine, I lean toward FOS but that is me I will crawl back under my rock now...
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Sounds like it runs on snake oil to me. Run, don't walk away from this deal.

LOL... I thought the same thing but type too slow...
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM

just a quick look on fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Did anyone notice the hole he has in the firewall with a bunch of wires going through it? I dont think I even see a grommet, that might cause some problems later on.

I really dont think you should buy it. The car was not made for the street, and probably will give you problems. You should be able to find something else that is fun and costs much less.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM

You should ask the owner what was done to the bottom end to support 13:1 compression.
It won't last long if he didn't at least install some beefed-up main caps or a girdle.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
Did anyone notice the hole he has in the firewall with a bunch of wires going through it? I dont think I even see a grommet, that might cause some problems later on.

I really dont think you should buy it. The car was not made for the street, and probably will give you problems. You should be able to find something else that is fun and costs much less.

Dan that is where the wiper motor was !! LOL...

your a 100% right IMHO
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I don't think this is the car for you. Walk away quickly or run. If you want an old car of this era. Find one that is close to stock and build it when you have time and money.
Larry
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM

This is what that cutless has, does this convince anyone to buy it?
72 cutless
Aluminum radiator
rpms set to600-650
No choke
Holley 750 double pump
Edelbrock rpm intake
Electric fuel pump 72 gallons per hour
Forged pistons
Heads milled
Mallory ignition system
Cam is big
No heat or defrost
2 inch headers
everything under the valve covers is from Jegs.com
Milled heads pistons, cam, Big block
230 psi
Gears 456 posi
Mickey Thompson 15 inch and 185
shift kit b a m 2800 stall converter 3 spd ratchet shifter
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
car guy

If you are looking for a track only car that won't even be fast I say go ahead. Everyone here has told you to stay away but you seem to still be trying to sell us on it. In my book thats a 2000-3000 car depending on what my personal inspection inside and out of the body looks like.

350 with milled stock iron heads and a "BIG" cam does not make anywhere near 550HP. If it really is a "BIG" cam with a 2800 converter and 456 gears it way mis matched. The way the car looks my guess is the "BIG" cam is just the lowest one on the page in the JEGS cataloge. You know the bigger cam the faster it goes especially when you add the tiny ports in an Old cast head. I'll put $100.00 it won't get out of it own way. Unless he can provide part numbers, clearances and specs all you might have is a good core to build from at best.

72 cutless
Aluminum radiator
rpms set to600-650
No choke
Holley 750 double pump
Edelbrock rpm intake
Forged pistons
Heads milled
Mallory ignition system
Cam is big
No heat or defrost
2 inch headers
230 psi
Gears 456 posi
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM

He said it runs 8's and low 9's on 1/4 What would you say the compression would be then? He says 13:1 is there anyway he would be wrong and he lower?

Last edited by gearheads78; January 29th, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
car guy

OK before I was giving the benifit of the dought that he was stretching things a bit but now I know he is so full of it his eyes are dark brown and he needs to please put down the crack pipe. It would be a supprised if the car run in the 8.x time range in the 1/8.

Find another car
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

louisianaboy, you have received some good advice from a lot of guys here who cummulatively have probably 100-150 years experience fooling with cars. If you want a car that you are going to work on all the time and may or may not get out of it's on way, go for it. When you are the age some of us are, you will always have that story to tell about that damn Oldsmobile you had that people tried to talk you out of but you had to have. One thing that you really need to consider is how much do you know about working on a car like this. There are plenty of decent Oldsmobiles you can get. Buy one, put you a nice set of twin turbos on it, decent wheels and tires, a nice stereo and clean it up and you will enjoy the car. I promise you, if you buy this car you will learn to hate it within a month or two.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Hey louisianaboy

Heres a guy on another site that will help out out. http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=536466#536466 Just post there and he can go with you to take a look if your really determined to see it. But really its starting to sound bad. My buddy runs 9.50s with the same car, and he has over 20,000 just into the motor. ( BB 455, billet crank, stroked, 15-1 comp, RR full out ported heads, custom intake, and 1150 dominator carb. So im sure to say that car wont even come close. But if you still want to check it out. Please take someone who knows these kind of cars to see if this car is worth a sh*t or not.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM

if you have a fully equiped garage and know how to repair every aspect of that car and have the money to upgrade certain components then go for it.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Captain of my ship

There is a guy that lives close by who runs hige 8's to low 9's in an old cutlass but he has a full blown 502 That was built by Allen Armstrong's (known for building race motors) plus the car is totally stripped out , only 1 seat no door panels or dash . This was built for the drag strip and is the only place he is allowed to run it.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
71 cutlass convertible

The 4.56 rears would kill you, the car and moter trying to drive to ky. Unless you put it on a trailer. IMO
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gearheads78
OK before I was giving the benifit of the dought that he was stretching things a bit but now I know he is so full of it his eyes are dark brown and he needs to please put down the crack pipe. It would be a supprised if the car run in the 8.x time range in the 1/8.

Find another car
Thanks,
I just barely managed to drag myself off the floor I was rolling around on laughing to clean the coffee that shot out of my nose off the keyboard.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM

230 psi
Gears 456 posi
230 psi? Is that the cranking compression? That's race gas territory.

I'd never buy a Cutless, either. I hear they aren't any good.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Past Administrator

Johnny,
You asked for opinions. Don't be too upset, move on to another car. If it turns out to be an Oldsmobile then great. Let us know about it. Honestly, I myself would not want to own that car, kind of like a bleached blonde with triple Ds and a weakness for shoes.....High Maintenance.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM

I respect all of you guy's opinion and know you guys know alot more than I do about olds and im not dead set on this car, I'm just looking for something in an ad thats buy now and negotiable, Thanks alot for all you guys putting time into answering my questions. What if I took the engine out of this thing? What do you think this body would be worth? Or the engine? Ball Park.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Well since we know the guy is F.O.S. its all hard to say without looking at it. Idont trust the guy at all. PM me the guys number and ill call him and sort some of the loose ends up for you. And look st the link i posted to ROP There is a guy that would go with you to look at the car to help as well.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM

72 cutless
Aluminum radiator
rpms set to600-650
No choke
Holley 750 double pump
Edelbrock rpm intake
Forged pistons
Heads milled
Mallory ignition system
Cam is big
No heat or defrost
2 inch headers
230 psi
Gears 456 posi
Yep i just dont trust this guy. I looked at the pics again and it doesnt have an aluminum radiator, it doesnt have M/T tires, 350 is a small block, there is now way with a BIG cam that he could have the iddle at 600rpms, I dont trust him.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Never bought an Olds need some expert opinions!