General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Starter - 1971 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Starter - 1971 Cutlass Supreme

Hello All. I have had my 1971 Cutlass for about 2 months. Zero issues with starting the car. This morning my son was going to take it to work and it would not start or turnover. Battery is brand new and was ok.

Was told to knock on the starter. Could not reach it so I shook the car a bit, up and down, etc. Car started. Anyone have any issues similar? Should I change the starter? It has fired up the past three times since.

Just wanted to check with you all. Thanks.
Old October 9th, 2023, 12:10 PM

Welcome! Auto or manual? Column or console? When it works it is almost impossible to diagnose.

If it is an automatic and this happens again, keep the key in the crank position, foot firmly on the brake and move the shift lever about.

In the interim clean and tighten every connection you can reach.
Old October 9th, 2023, 12:14 PM

Thanks Sugar Bear. I have an automatic with a console. So, crank it and move the shifter. I will try that next time for sure.

Should I look into replacing the starter?
Old October 9th, 2023, 12:44 PM

I'd try diagnosing it first before launching the "parts cannon." If you do need a starter my preference is toward a local rebuilder vs. a big box store rebuilt.

There is a purple wire going to the solenoid/starter solenoid. If that gets battery voltage and it doesn't crank I'd replace the starter and solenoid as an assembly. If the purple wire doesn't get battery voltage while attempting to crank the problem is the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch or a connection.
Old October 9th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Is the backdrive linkage in place? The neutral safety switch for your car is located at the base of the steering column, even with a floor shift. The backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column locks the shifter when the key is removed but also operates the NSS. If it is missing (a frequent problem when headers are installed, or if this was not originally a floor shift car) or if it is improperly adjusted, the collar on the steering column won't be in the correct position to activate the NSS.
Old October 9th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
If it is an automatic and this happens again, keep the key in the crank position, foot firmly on the brake and move the shift lever about.
As Joe mentioned about the NSS above, I would recommend moving the steering collar and not the shifter itself.

Old October 9th, 2023, 02:14 PM

The crazy thing is that he replaced the NSS with a homemade kill switch. So I don't have that in place with the car. So far it has been starting all day now.

I will get under there and check connections and update later. Appreciate the quick response all. Newbie with these olds, but will get the hang of it.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mbauccio
The crazy thing is that he replaced the NSS with a homemade kill switch.
So what OTHER non-stock "features" are in the car? Given how much most car owners truly suck at wiring, I'd start there looking for crappy connections, corrosion, etc. Is the switch even rated to carry enough current for the starting circuit? If not, burned switch contacts will cause this problem.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:43 PM

Well he put a super charger in it as well.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

Ever watch a fish try to swim out of water? Purchase a used paperback original OEM GM 1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (CSM) - today, if you don't already own this manual. Don't buy a brand new 1971 CSM, don't buy a 1971 CD/DVD as it will be a copy of the original and the majority of times they lack details and are for the most part, unacceptable print. The CSM is your BIBLE for this car as it explains, in detail, the serviceable equipment on your car & includes an original color wiring diagram.

Look around you might find one less expensive &/or in better condition (or not) - do some research but purchase the CSM ASAP.

1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 9th, 2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Running On Empty

Sorta changes the playing field a tad bit.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Ooops...I posted a bad URL link in Post #7 for the 1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. I have made the correction.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Thank you Vintage Chef. Great advice. He was a Boeing engineer and worked on cars his whole life. Trying to figure this whole car out is going to be a learning process.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you Vintage Chef. Great advice. He was a Boeing engineer and worked on cars his whole life. Trying to figure this whole car out is going to be a learning process.
It's even more of a process for those of us trying to help you remotely. The mind reading thing still isn't working. We have no idea what modifications have been done to the car that might cause a starting problem. Without that info, we can only ***-U-ME that the car and wiring and starter are stock. Clearly that is not the case. Without complete info, we can't really provide you with useful responses. Even the Chassis Service Manual will be worthless if the wiring is modified from stock.
Old October 9th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Even the Chassis Service Manual will be worthless if the wiring is modified from stock.
I'd argue it's going to be a serious challenge for the OP to determine what wiring has been modified from stock without owning a color wiring diagram which demonstrates stock wiring.
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:16 PM

And from what I see in your picture, replaced the original AC, cooling, and charging systems with aftermarket modifications.

Last edited by Fun71; October 9th, 2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:26 AM

I'd like to see more pics of your car/ supercharger. Cool as hell!!!
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
And from what I see in your picture, replaced the original AC, cooling, and charging systems with aftermarket modifications.
The A/C mod looks like the Sanden compressor swap while retaining the original condenser and evaporator. I did much the same on my 67 Delta. Converting over to a C/COT system also simplifies things. This really is not a particularly invasive mod and saves a bunch of weight and space in the engine compartment. The alternator just looks like a late model 12SI, also not uncommon.
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The A/C mod looks like the Sanden compressor swap while retaining the original condenser and evaporator. I did much the same on my 67 Delta. Converting over to a C/COT system also simplifies things. This really is not a particularly invasive mod and saves a bunch of weight and space in the engine compartment. The alternator just looks like a late model 12SI, also not uncommon.
I don't disagree, just pointing out things that differ from original and therefore won't be covered in the 1971 CSM.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:15 PM
Running On Empty

In addition to the 1971 Chassis Service Manual (CSM) you should seriously consider purchasing a 1971 Product Information Manual (PIM) - AKA Factory Assembly Manual. The PIM details how your vehicle was assembled. It is primarily comprised of very detailed diagrams of the engine compartment, wire routing, hose routing, parts & part numbers, specifications of the assembly/build, exterior, interior, dash panel, lighting & routing. The pages which comprise the PIM are what was used by the employees on the assembly line when assembling the vehicle. An excellent quality PIM can be obtained from CO member Hairy Olds

1971 A-Body Product Information Manual
Old April 26th, 2024, 01:25 PM

It's your neutral/reverse lockout switch on the lower column for 71-72 vehicles. Moving shifter up and down a few times cleans the contacts enuff to start again. Happened to me recently and of course I pulled the started first and wasted 2 hrs of my life......