1984 Hurst/Olds production #

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2024, 11:05 AM

1984 Hurst/Olds production #

Hi all. I am looking for info on what production # my 1984 Hurst/Olds is. 1G3AK4794EM440894.
I am the second owner since 1995.
Thank you.
Chad
Old February 16th, 2024, 12:38 PM

Join the H/OCA, ask for the numbers. hurstolds.com

Old February 18th, 2024, 04:14 AM

x2, they are a great group, I have been a member since 1996 and I can say it's been a great run with them all these years.
Old February 18th, 2024, 11:09 AM

I assume you are looking for conversion number versus assembly line sequence number. 1984 H/O production was very similar to other Hurst conversion process. The Hurst (C&C) conversion number, or H/O production number was not married to the VIN sequence number as GM built them. GM dropped them off, C&C finished converting them in rando order, and GM came and picked them up and delivered to the dealerships. Just like always with Teir 1 conversion suppliers. To note, the very LAST H/O converted isn't the latest VIN H/O off the assembly line. But yet the last H/O converted got all the goodbye signatures under the hood insulation.

My 84 is conversion #19 but only 2 have been found verified with lower VIN sequence numbers than mine (389559). Which doesn't mean a whole lot. It has a 11/83 build. E 11E on the cowl tag- 84 model year, 5th week of November. It came with the 1983 V-belt setup and the small steering wheel hub. A few weeks later, VIN break still trying to be determined, they came out with the large hub steering wheel setup with the bright outer ring for 84 sport steering wheels and the dual pulley PS pump V-belt setup. This was right before the end of the 83 calendar year. And most may not remember either, that was during the time V8 gas engines were on constraint so anything other than H/O or big bodied car could not get a 307. V6 only for the Cutlass for a short time. Foundry problems they said.

If you look up on the body cowl tag under the driver wiper, that plate's upper LH corner should have number letter code for the target production week (Year/Month/week). So yours, being a 440894 VIN sequence puts it way down the line. Production started November 17, 1983 (11C) and ended March 10,1984 (03B). And VIN 463169 is a verified March build. I'm going to guess yours was built in January most likley.

So 84 H/Os should have on the body cowl tag starting with an E for model year 84, then 11/12/01/02/03 followed by a letter for the week of that month. They were all built over a 3-1/2 month period, if you count the Christmas break time the GM plants usually got.

The only way you'll know for sure is join the H/OCA and find out the exact number. It's only $35 per year. Best 35 bucks an H/O owner can ever spend.

Membership - The Hurst/Olds Club of America (hurstolds.com)
Old February 21st, 2024, 12:25 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by 69HO43
I assume you are looking for conversion number versus assembly line sequence number. 1984 H/O production was very similar to other Hurst conversion process. The Hurst (C&C) conversion number, or H/O production number was not married to the VIN sequence number as GM built them. GM dropped them off, C&C finished converting them in rando order, and GM came and picked them up and delivered to the dealerships. Just like always with Teir 1 conversion suppliers. To note, the very LAST H/O converted isn't the latest VIN H/O off the assembly line. But yet the last H/O converted got all the goodbye signatures under the hood insulation.

My 84 is conversion #19 but only 2 have been found verified with lower VIN sequence numbers than mine (389559). Which doesn't mean a whole lot. It has a 11/83 build. E 11E on the cowl tag- 84 model year, 5th week of November. It came with the 1983 V-belt setup and the small steering wheel hub. A few weeks later, VIN break still trying to be determined, they came out with the large hub steering wheel setup with the bright outer ring for 84 sport steering wheels and the dual pulley PS pump V-belt setup. This was right before the end of the 83 calendar year. And most may not remember either, that was during the time V8 gas engines were on constraint so anything other than H/O or big bodied car could not get a 307. V6 only for the Cutlass for a short time. Foundry problems they said.

If you look up on the body cowl tag under the driver wiper, that plate's upper LH corner should have number letter code for the target production week (Year/Month/week). So yours, being a 440894 VIN sequence puts it way down the line. Production started November 17, 1983 (11C) and ended March 10,1984 (03B). And VIN 463169 is a verified March build. I'm going to guess yours was built in January most likley.

So 84 H/Os should have on the body cowl tag starting with an E for model year 84, then 11/12/01/02/03 followed by a letter for the week of that month. They were all built over a 3-1/2 month period, if you count the Christmas break time the GM plants usually got.

The only way you'll know for sure is join the H/OCA and find out the exact number. It's only $35 per year. Best 35 bucks an H/O owner can ever spend.

Thank you for the info. That helps out. I am a H/OCA member. I just found out that mine is #1175 of 3500 converted.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 01:11 AM

I agree. Join the group. It's well worth it
Old February 23rd, 2024, 10:15 AM

Production #

Old February 23rd, 2024, 10:15 AM

Mine says G1175

Old February 23rd, 2024, 03:04 PM

G1175? What does? The body tag?

Sounds weird. G is for 1986 model year.1175 doesn't compute. It needs to be a two digit number followed by a letter A through E.

Note, this particular car's tag below was one of the last ones. It was E 03A, or, 1984 model year, March, 1st week scheduled build week. Every 84 Olds Cutlass 2 door was a GR47 on the body tag IIRC, but the Y78 Calais RPO changed the VIN from GR47 to GK47.

Old February 24th, 2024, 04:54 PM

This is my tag

Tis is my tag.
Old February 24th, 2024, 07:41 PM

E 02B is the 2nd week in Feburary 1984 scheduled build week.

Old February 24th, 2024, 10:33 PM

Thank You for the info. That seems pretty good. So where does it put the build#?
Old February 25th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Conversion or build numbers were never put on the body tag. Because of the random order they were converted, there was no way GM was going to know that while the car was being produced at the plant. Nor did they even care. When the dealer order was put in for an H/O, the body was assembled. Fisher churned up a body tag for it. It usually shows major options for the car, mostly colors, seats and top and W40 is the only real option that says it's an H/O besides the VIN. The only thing I'm aware of as far as the body was concerned that W40 meant anything was the reinforced factory hood for when they installed the scoop at C&C and MAYBE the trunk lift rods in the back. I know 83 had them swapped out at C&C, but don't recall if they included the thicker bars on the 84s at GM or if C&C was still doing them.

Back then, GM only tracked them by model, the Calais, and by engine/trans, and color combinations such as silver (17) with dark maple interior (77). They didn't even track top options for those cars, and still don't worry about tracking moon roofs on the newer Camaros even. Those were just another RPO. So if anyone gives you that garbage that there was only 23 moon roof cars made, they're lying. Especially if they say it's like, #21 of #23. There's no way to know that without going through all the build records one by one and compiling that data. GM never did. They did get a bit smarter and started giving ZL1s and Z28s their own VIN sequence numbers, so you could actually tell by the VIN which car yours was. But in 1984, forget it. Just like the earlier H/Os, C&C had to track everything as far as conversion numbers.

I'm trying to recall where they used that lower number (G1175) or if anyone ever figured out what that went to. I suspect you may find that number on the window sticker, MAYBE. I'd have to go check that. I recall there were numbers on the window sticker matching numbers on the SPID label in the trunk for Pontiac built 442s, but I'd have to go review all that junk again. There's not much hope tying that number to the build sheet, because Lansing cars pretty much cleaned out the cars well, except on a super-rare occasion. If you did ever find a build sheet for it, the internal body number in the upper RH corner would be on there for sure, but not sure about that G1175 number.

Who told you it was #1175? You may want to check with the H/O club to see exactly where your car came in. 2,048 cars were built at Lansing by February 1. So I'm guesstimating your car to be somewhere in the conversion number of 2000-2200 range, thereabouts.
Old March 4th, 2024, 08:44 PM

My plate. Car # 2323 if I remember correctly

This one is from my 84 H/O. If I remember correctly, it is car 2323
Old March 5th, 2024, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hurst_Olds_W-40
This one is from my 84 H/O. If I remember correctly, it is car 2323
Well, that makes it more solid. Will have to adjust my guesstimate to something more like 2350-2500 car number for Chadsurrite's car.
Just a word about the build-out numbers I posted earlier. This was a build "production build-out plan" by Oldsmobile from October of 1983, which obviously was made prior to the actual H/O production. I'm sure it wasn't held to exact dates. So actual build numbers will vary somewhat. And I'm not sure if the temporary V8 "shortage" had any impact on the builds or not. But likely not by a whole lot. Build scheduling for GM had become a science even back in those days.