'71 Supreme Door Panel Carpet

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2024, 03:27 PM

'71 Supreme Door Panel Carpet

Hey folks,
I bought new carpet from Fusick for my door panels. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet but I'm wondering if anyone has some tips. I don't want to damage the panels, seeing as they cost more than $400 these days.
Just pop off the chrome trim, pull the old carpet off, maybe sand and smooth a little, then use contact cement for the new?
Help appreciated.
Old March 6th, 2024, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Hey folks,
I bought new carpet from Fusick for my door panels. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet but I'm wondering if anyone has some tips. I don't want to damage the panels, seeing as they cost more than $400 these days.
Just pop off the chrome trim, pull the old carpet off, maybe sand and smooth a little, then use contact cement for the new?
Help appreciated.
Pretty much. I did it once; just be careful and slow, it is glued to cardboard. A sharp knive, like a carpet knive will help seperate.
Old March 7th, 2024, 04:22 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

I replaced mine a couple years ago.
I used some card stock to fill the old speaker holes and to re-enforce the lower section

Old March 7th, 2024, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Schne442
I replaced mine a couple years ago. I used some card stock.
Gary - Nice work. Essentially I did same. I was replacing the driver side 4-way power window switch which quickly became a MAW for both doors.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 7th, 2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old March 7th, 2024, 06:08 PM

Those look great! And pictures definitely help, thanks guys. Hoping the carpet arrives soon.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:34 AM

Okay folks, so I got the carpet from Fusick in three days, not bad! Everything seems pretty straight forward, other than keeping the shop warm enough for the contact cement, but I'm not real worried.
However, a MAW got ahold of me Since I had the door panel off anyway, I thought I'd give the window mechanism a little grease (even though I haven't had any problems). What's the old saying? If it ain't broke? Now the window moans and screeches on it's way up and down. So I cleaned off all the old and new gunk with brake cleaner and no change, still moans and screeches. I used a silicone grease first. Cleaned that off and used regular ol' wheel bearing grease, cleaned that off and now I'm thinking of using that green brake caliper grease. The noise seems to be coming from the vertical conduit-looking rod down the middle of the cavity. Thoughts?