Aligning Windows 71 Supreme Conv.

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2017, 10:42 AM

Aligning Windows 71 Supreme Conv.

Hello,

Curious if anyone has any strategy to align windows in a 71 Cutlass Supreme Conv.

I used to put the top up and just tweak but it's just not working well.

Just curious what others do ?

Thanks... Tim
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:33 AM

There are several adjustments in the window tracks. You must take the door panel off to get to them. Forward, rear, in and out,up and down stops as well. I would think the adjustments should be made with the top up where it would evident how it needs to be adjusted.
Old April 30th, 2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by timothypaul
Just curious what others do ?
Ha, funny you should ask as I do the exact same thing you have been doing.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:12 AM

I always started with checking alignment on the doors first, how the door closes to the body lines. Occasionally the door strikers needed to be realigned or replaced. Once the door is closed correctly then I would look at how the quarter glass closes to the top in conjunction with the door glass. Sometimes both glasses may need adjustment. You can spend hours on a side trying to get it perfect but may never happen do to the way the top has been stressed and the weather strips may also be worn. Your best bet would call local glass companies in the area and asked if the have anyone seasonal working who as ever worked with these before. Trying to get this right is difficult even for people who are experienced mechanically. Good Luck
Sean
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:03 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Good advice here. Mark the positions of all adjustment points before you move anything. Take pictures and measurements too. At least you can get back to where you started if you run into trouble. Look for worn rollers or tracks before adjusting. A simple part replacement could fix the misalignment. I start with the door windows first. Get them to fit well then go at the quarter windows. This assumes the door hinges and alignment have already been verified as noted by Sean. Lube all tracks with white grease. Replace bad rollers. If the weather seals are bad, replace these first, then adjust the windows to fit the new seals. Adjust them tight as the rubber will relax.

Tip: If you do install new seals as mentioned adjust them tight. But leave the interior panels off and let it sit for a week or three with the windows closed and the top up. Take it for a ride and listen for air leaks (I know its a vert). Hit it with a hose look for water leaks. Leaving the panels off saves you from having to pull them again if anything needs readjusting. Some guys let it sit longer than a week or even over the winter which is better. You may need top adjustments as well.