Bench seat upholstery

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2024, 10:35 PM

Bench seat upholstery

The solid backed front bench seat in my 77 Cutlass S 4 door desperately needs to be redone. I can do the work myself, but I'm having trouble finding the right materials. I keep coming across upholstery sets for split bench seats, but nothing for a seat with the 1 piece back. I've installed the pre made sets and foam replacements before, so I'm confident in that aspect. I just cant find the stuff... It sure is frustrating that so little of the after market is focused on 73-77 Cutlass stuff. Most companies just skip right from 68-72 to the g body platform. Also doesn't help that its a more door... Anyhow, let me know what you guys have used/done for a wayward bench seat in a Colonnade car. Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2024, 03:36 AM

DOH!

Last edited by Olds64; April 19th, 2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old April 18th, 2024, 06:28 PM

I just looked through the Kanter site and didn't find any interior kits. Do you have a link to that section of the site? I may have just missed them.
Old April 19th, 2024, 09:10 AM

Sure enough it looks like Kanter no longer carries interior kits. Sorry.

Here's a good supplier that I've used before.

https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/default.asp
​​​​​​​​​​​
Old April 19th, 2024, 09:10 PM

No problem at all! Thank you for that second link. I just sent automotive interiors a request to see if they can make me a cover. There is a disclaimer on their website that states 2 major plants making their products have closed and they are limited to what they can get and make. Hopefully they can make mine, but if they can't, do you think a set for a 81-87 gm truck would work?

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This would look amazing in my car, and looks very comfortable, but the price tag is too high for me to be guessing on its fitment.

Thanks again!
Old April 20th, 2024, 06:32 AM

I wouldn't buy the covers for a truck. They probably wouldn't fit very well.

If Automotive Interiors still operates the same way they did years ago you can remove the old seat covers from your seat and send them in to be copied.

You might also consider these suppliers for slip-on seat covers.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/seat-covers

https://www.wetokole.com/
Old April 20th, 2024, 12:33 PM
Ben

Just go to an upholstery shop and have them make you a cover. As long as you are not asking for fancy materials or a crazy complex design, they should be able to knock it out for relatively inexpensive. The term you are looking for for basic covers from an upholsterer is "taxi cab interior" but they are going to do the cover r&r as part of the project so it will cost more than repop covers alone.

​​
Old April 20th, 2024, 10:55 PM

Ok thanks Olds64, i wont buy those. Still waiting for Automotive Interiors to contact me about my seat. RAMBOW, There are several reputable upholstery shops near me that i could go to and be done with this. The only reason i wanted to do it myself is that this is my daily driver car. I need it 7 days a week for work (family business) so its very difficult when it has to go get stuck at a shop. I'm used to doing work to this car at night when i should be sleeping to be ready for the morning. lol I have no idea how long a shop takes to recover a seat, but it has to be a few days right? Also Thanks for the terminology. If it goes to a shop, ill be sure to tell them that i want the 'Taxi cab interior.'
It sounds more robust anyway, taxi seats see a lot of butt traffic! As do my seats. Thanks again guys!
Old April 21st, 2024, 03:59 AM

I wonder if you bought the pieces for a split bench that a good upholstery shop couldn’t stitch them together.
It wouldn’t be 100% correct, but the material would be close.
Old April 21st, 2024, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Just go to an upholstery shop and have them make you a cover.
​​
Good idea, I had this done on my 71 98. The interior turned out ok, if I do say so myself.

The only problem is that it might take awhile. The guy who redid my seats and door panels drug his feet. It took well over a month.
Old April 21st, 2024, 05:21 AM

X2, be prepared to wait in a line for sure. The smaller jobs tend to get "bumped" for the bigger jobs that make these shops the bigger money. I'm originally from Bergenfield, NJ, I had a great shop in town called D & D Upholstery I used to use. They did a great job on my 79 Hurst Olds seats. But, that was a good long time ago and I don't know if they are still in business.

This work is not cheap but realistically, quality interior work never is. I just got a quote to do a small repair on my rear seat back for my 1994 Cutlass Supreme, involving re-stitching & replacing some of the leather. $275. And that's to get in the door, I'm sure the price will go up once the work starts, but so be it. Got to avoid that 2 point deduction for seat tears. All kidding aside, the rips will only get worse so it's time to S**T or get off the pot with this repair.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:22 PM

Olds64, your interior is sweet, i really like the look of that material. I know for sure i want to switch to cloth when get mine done. How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? Bluecalais79, I couldn't find D&D on the web, there are quite a few local shops near me, and i figured it would be a hefty price tag. The padding wear, and cracking is so bad that it will hurt your back if you have to drive for a while without stopping. So in my case, I've gotta get on this asap. For now I've started using a wheel chair cushion i found and it helps a lot lol. What kind of foam is used in making these seat cushions? i wouldn't mind doing that myself, and then having a cover made.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 04:16 AM

I'd have to check my receipts. It was probably about 12 years ago. As I recall, I redid the body on my 71 before having the interior redone. I think it was $1500 or so. He did the front and back seat, all 4 doors and the package tray.

Actually, I recommended the interior shop to a coworker with a classic Chevy Impala and he really dropped the ball. It was just a gent that did the work out of his shop at home. I recall I had to swing by his house multiple times and ask for an update since he was dragging his feet.

Typing all this I also remember that when I got the car back it had an intermittent short in the lights that caused the battery to drain. Turns out he shorted the wire for the overhead light with a screw when he redid the package tray.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 01:30 PM

Try to order the material from SMS. https://smsautofabrics.com/